or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1620

post #24286 of 24915

By the way, you may have noticed the Dublin skinheads in photos 1 and 3 have a 'flare problem'. I reckon this wasn't uncommon with leftover skins after 1971, especially in remote towns. 

 

I remember watching a BBC documentary from the 1970s on an old VHS tape many moons ago. It was typical 70s sociological fare, investigating the daily life of an unemployed skinhead in some British smalltown. One thing I remember is that his creative outlet was drawing pinup girls. The other, he wore flares with his DMs, crop, Ben Sherman, and braces. Unless memory deceives me, they were flares rather than just jeans that seemed too wide for my modern sensibilities or anything like that.

 

I'd guess the documentary predated the revival and might have been shot anytime between 1972 and, say, 1976. If the above rings a bell and you've got a link to it, I'd be grateful.

 

Apparently the flare problem persisted into the revival period. The picture below was taken in Soho in 1979 and posted here a couple of months ago.

In a 1978 article, a revivalist skinhead called John Butler is quoted as saying, "I can't stand the dopey skins you see now with big flares. Skin'eads with flares, it don't look right, does it?".

 

http://www.skinheadheaven.org.uk/index.php/cuttings/69-a-life-in-the-day-of-a-skinhead

post #24287 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyskin89 View Post
 

Where do you DJ? Do you have night around here?


Sadly, I don't have a regular night, Nik.  Sporadic O! gigs and DJ nights around the Hub... What with being gone for weeks at a time with my day job, it's tough to hold down a steady night.  Some day maybe.  I've been talking to the staff at Murphy's Law in South Boston and they're keen to do it.  Just need to iron out the details.  

 

Watch this space, haha.  

post #24288 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post


Sadly, I don't have a regular night, Nik.  Sporadic O! gigs and DJ nights around the Hub... What with being gone for weeks at a time with my day job, it's tough to hold down a steady night.  Some day maybe.  I've been talking to the staff at Murphy's Law in South Boston and they're keen to do it.  Just need to iron out the details.  

Watch this space, haha.  

Ahhhh! Murphys Law! I haven't thought about that place in years! That and the Cambridge Port were my reprieve from living in a 2 bedroom with about 8 people! Haha, thanks for knocking the cobwebs off of those memories!
post #24289 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post


Ahhhh! Murphys Law! I haven't thought about that place in years! That and the Cambridge Port were my reprieve from living in a 2 bedroom with about 8 people! Haha, thanks for knocking the cobwebs off of those memories!


  Wow, we might have met over a disgusting $4 pitcher of blindness-inducing draught beer then.  The 'Port(or Father's Four as it was known previously) was THE watering hole for skinheads of legal age and MUCH younger(my wife, once a very proper skinhead girl, was able to drink in there from the age of 17-18 onward).  Toots and Combat 84 on the jukebox and a couple ex-skinheads from the early '80s working the bar(remember Red?).  That was a really fun joint.  Then the Latin Kings moved in.......

  Murphy's Law is less-sketchy than it used to be(Southie is gentrified beyond belief) and definitely not skinhead-friendly, but it's still a last call bar and come 2 AM it's still fight or f#ck.  Terrible beer selection but heavy-handed pours with the booze.   

An apartment with eight tenants?  Ugh!  The most I had was six of us in Brighton by the Green Briar and that was barely bearable!  

post #24290 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post
 


Sadly, I don't have a regular night, Nik.  Sporadic O! gigs and DJ nights around the Hub... What with being gone for weeks at a time with my day job, it's tough to hold down a steady night.  Some day maybe.  I've been talking to the staff at Murphy's Law in South Boston and they're keen to do it.  Just need to iron out the details.  

 

Watch this space, haha.  

I'll keep a look out. You know I'll be attending any good night that this town has to offer, which hasn't been many recently. I'm assuming it has to do with the college kids and the gentrification you're talking about. At least there was a good turnout for The Specials.

post #24291 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyskin89 View Post
 

I'll keep a look out. You know I'll be attending any good night that this town has to offer, which hasn't been many recently. I'm assuming it has to do with the college kids and the gentrification you're talking about. At least there was a good turnout for The Specials.

 

  Yeah, not a lot of activity in Boston of late.  No wonder people move outta here.  Everybody's too lazy or jaded to put anything on.  I'll let you know if I get anything going.  

I heard the Specials gig was good.  Wish I could have attended but I was away on "business".  

 

 

 

In actual sartorial skinhead-related news, I'm having a British firm make me a covert/Crombie-type coat with the robust 700g(almost 25 oz) charcoal Dugdale Bros. coating.  I'll get it up here when it's done.  I decided on charcoal as it's more versatile than both black and navy.  The 700g is for our "mild" New England winters, haha.  Roll on the Fall!!!

post #24292 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


All noted. BUT - and it's a big one - 'You Really Got Me' and 'All Day And All Of The Night', were rock. They had edge. Their later material, classy though it may have been, psychedelic though it can be argued to have been, and as much as I appreciated it, was about as 'rock' as a plate of jelly.

America created Rock and Roll.When the UK got into it they created RAWK(they couldn't imitate Rock and Roll exactly) Americans imitated Brit Rawk(like Heavy Mental(sic)) and then you had American Rock.A convoluted but obvious trail(with bread crumbs and all).       The La's COULD be Psychedelic,Listen to "Looking Glass".

post #24293 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post


  Wow, we might have met over a disgusting $4 pitcher of blindness-inducing draught beer then.  The 'Port(or Father's Four as it was known previously) was THE watering hole for skinheads of legal age and MUCH younger(my wife, once a very proper skinhead girl, was able to drink in there from the age of 17-18 onward).  Toots and Combat 84 on the jukebox and a couple ex-skinheads from the early '80s working the bar(remember Red?).  That was a really fun joint.  Then the Latin Kings moved in.......
  Murphy's Law is less-sketchy than it used to be(Southie is gentrified beyond belief) and definitely not skinhead-friendly, but it's still a last call bar and come 2 AM it's still fight or f#ck.  Terrible beer selection but heavy-handed pours with the booze.   
An apartment with eight tenants?  Ugh!  The most I had was six of us in Brighton by the Green Briar and that was barely bearable!  

I think that there is a distinct possibility that you and I were in the same room at least once back then haha. I was living there from early 98-late 99. Used to go to The Pill a lot and there was some corner hipster bar with huge windows in Allston as well but I totally forgot what the name was.
It's funny that you mention the Latin Kings, I lived in Roxbury and literally all of my neighbors were LK.. It was an interesting time!
post #24294 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post
 

Lavender Hill? The Kinks were defo Psychedelic."See My Friends" The First British Psych song.Ray got it whilst lounging on the beach in India. Macca was jealous.

The Kinks take great pride in saying that they never wrote a psychedelic song,

Ray is quoted as saying that he thought the genre trite and found nothing worthwhile in it.  They never certainly wrote genuine psychedelia of the Pink Floyd variety, though there are elements in some songs I will grant you like in Wicked Annabella, Phenomenal Cat, Rainy Day in June and some others...but still, this is the band who responded to psychedelia with Autumn Almanac and Dead End Street. 

post #24295 of 24915

Chelsea style boot being worn late sixties/early seventies?

 

post #24296 of 24915

Has anyone downloaded the BBC 1969 HA and Skinhead documentary? It has seemed to have vanished off of youtube and I can't find it anywhere.

post #24297 of 24915
post #24298 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Jacket View Post
 

Chelsea style boot being worn late sixties/early seventies?

 

Difficult to see any details in the photo but at my school all the proto-skinheads wore riding/jodhpur boots in 1968. They had a more rounded toe than the mod chelsea boot. I bought my boots from a horse riding shop and they were pukka.

post #24299 of 24915

 

DJ,

 

lol... Yeah, I know. That video link goes to something else now. Have you attempted to view it here?

post #24300 of 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingy Brim View Post
 

The Kinks take great pride in saying that they never wrote a psychedelic song,

Ray is quoted as saying that he thought the genre trite and found nothing worthwhile in it.  They never certainly wrote genuine psychedelia of the Pink Floyd variety, though there are elements in some songs I will grant you like in Wicked Annabella, Phenomenal Cat, Rainy Day in June and some others...but still, this is the band who responded to psychedelia with Autumn Almanac and Dead End Street. 

You make a valid point.I was being much more broad in my definition.Ray can say what he wants. Doesn't mean he sees his own work clearly.The Kinks version of Psychedelic is about as freaked out as I like actually.Early Move.The Action bootleg.And the Sid side of Da Floyd.More Lewis Carroll than that dreadful LSD drenched San Fran abomination.As Always my asides are mere distraction.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead