Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1616

post #24226 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Carlson View Post
 

 

Talking to a handful of originals here and on FB the general notion of this period was to have fun, style, and music. That's it. 

 

 

 

Thats all it is to me, that and sharing a sense of style and music with your mates, tbh aggro seemed to find me even before i was a skin, but that is just what it is like round my end.

 

ive got flack for this in the past, but i find ''skinhead'' to be a very limiting name, especially because these days a lot of people seem to assume it means shaved heads and massive boots, not what i was like originally(atleast from my experience anyway). 

post #24227 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Carlson View Post

Then if you have like minded friends who like the style and music, perhaps, influence a pre-69 look. Here's a great example of the style in 68. Imagine mid 60s American Ivy league and you have a smart, dapper, and proper look.




This is from a California school year book in 66. Notice desert boots, etc.


 

For me its the first time i hear about Ivy League style. Could you fill me in on this?
Oh and your crew in skinhead times looks absolutely rad, what is/was the football culture in the States like?
post #24228 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobekoma View Post

For me its the first time i hear about Ivy League style. Could you fill me in on this?
Oh and your crew in shkinhead times looks absolutely rad, what is/was the football culture in the States like?

Here are some good sites for Ivy related information:
http://www.ivy-style.com/
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewforum.php?id=13
post #24229 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post


Most people who (think they) know what a skinhead is will either view you with suspicion or outright hostility. There are many factions of skinheads and many do not get along. To be very honest with you, it can be a violent subculture and if you find yourself surrounded by skinheads who do not know you (at a show or dance night for instance) you could be pulled up. If you don't answer the right questions you can certainly earn yourself a hiding. If you don't like to fight or won't stand up for yourself it might not be the scene for you.

 

Yeah, but that's mostly from bald punks who, like you said, don't know what it really is. This is generally because we have so many factions and especially in California in the bay area where we have a history of boneheads.

 

In my experience meeting a "skinhead" in a flight jacket, frumpy clothes, and 14 eyelet boots would warrant size each other up and dropping names - proving who we were. Meeting a Trad or even a mod would a friendly nod, hand shake, a greeting, etc.

post #24230 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Carlson View Post

Yeah, but that's mostly from bald punks who, like you said, don't know what it really is. This is generally because we have so many factions and especially in California in the bay area where we have a history of boneheads.

In my experience meeting a "skinhead" in a flight jacket, frumpy clothes, and 14 eyelet boots would warrant size each other up and dropping names - proving who we were. Meeting a Trad or even a mod would a friendly nod, hand shake, a greeting, etc.

I absolutely agree! Unfortunately there are probably more bald punks in Budapest than there are traditional skinheads so he may have to do a little standing up for himself haha!
I apologize if my comment came off a bit negativily, I've simply seen this scenario play out many times and those guys who can't or won't fight wind up hanging their boots up before they've stopped giving their feet blisters lol!
post #24231 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post

I absolutely agree! Unfortunately there are probably more bald punks in Budapest than there are traditional skinheads so he may have to do a little standing up for himself haha!
I apologize if my comment came off a bit negativily, I've simply seen this scenario play out many times and those guys who can't or won't fight wind up hanging their boots up before they've stopped giving their feet blisters lol!
Yeah there are mostly bald punks although there is a group of 4-5 people who run small blogs about reggae culture, keeping the original vibe alive, wearing proper clothes, etc. The rudeboy soundsystems always have a great mood here and fun, not like most of the oi shows. But maybe that's just me
post #24232 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Jacket View Post
 

 

Thats all it is to me, that and sharing a sense of style and music with your mates, tbh aggro seemed to find me even before i was a skin, but that is just what it is like round my end.

 

ive got flack for this in the past, but i find ''skinhead'' to be a very limiting name, especially because these days a lot of people seem to assume it means shaved heads and massive boots, not what i was like originally(atleast from my experience anyway). 

 

DJ,

 

I agree with the term of "skinhead" and your description. It's very limiting in regards to the style. Like you said kids fight - I don't think it has a relationship if you're in a subculture or not. You'll always have people who like to fight and those who generally don't. And like I noted all of the violence in papers was after 69 and especially in 72.

For example,

post #24233 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post


Here are some good sites for Ivy related information:
http://www.ivy-style.com/
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewforum.php?id=13

 

This is a good article too

https://indimenswear.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/ivy-league-the-timeless-look/

post #24234 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Carlson View Post
 

 

 

In my experience meeting a "skinhead" in a flight jacket, frumpy clothes, and 14 eyelet boots would warrant size each other up and dropping names - proving who we were. Meeting a Trad or even a mod would a friendly nod, hand shake, a greeting, etc.

 

I've been in that situation on more then one occasion, so its not something exclusive to america, i think there is certainly tension between trad skins and what i like to call ''oi'' skinheads for obvious reasons.

 

And you are right, young uns do like to fight alot of the time, i was guilty if this myself at that age but its not something i am proud of looking back, im a quiet person to be honest.

 

and lets not forget teddy boys, mods, and punks to some to extent were guilty of this too, skinheads just seems to have a bigger reputation for violence,and lets not forget the more modern subcultures like ''chavs''(if you can call them a subculture).

post #24235 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Carlson View Post

This is a good article too

https://indimenswear.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/ivy-league-the-timeless-look/

That's an interesting site, thanks for posting it! I went down the rabbit hole and looked through the "football casuals" and "soul boy" threads as well. Glad to see that's still alive and well with the young'ins 😀
post #24236 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post


That's an interesting site, thanks for posting it! I went down the rabbit hole and looked through the "football casuals" and "soul boy" threads as well. Glad to see that's still alive and well with the young'ins 😀

 

Got to be careful with football casuals. The majority of these are boneheads from the 80s. Also, they like to gang up on skins. My cousin who's from Wycombe and some of his friends were attacked by a mob of casuals one day in the early 80s.

post #24237 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Carlson View Post

Got to be careful with football casuals. The majority of these are boneheads from the 80s. Also, they like to gang up on skins. My cousin who's from Wycombe and some of his friends were attacked by a mob of casuals one day in the early 80s.

I actually got really into that look for a good decade from the late 90s through early 00s (I got Dannyboy smack into it as well haha) it's obviously quite a bit different here in the states, especially back then before the "Hooligan porn" films of the 00s lol. I thought it was a cool look but just like everything else, it got watered down and cheapened. I'm almost 100% into the Ivy thing these days, it suits me as I'm not a young man looking for trouble any longer. 😉
post #24238 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post
 

I am sure many of the growing commuter towns around London would have had a strong Mod contingent in the 1960s.  Chelmsford is less than 30 minutes on the train from central London and seemed to be something of a Mod and later Skinhead stronghold.  I think tastes in music were partly locally influenced but there would have been a general consistency across all areas.

 

At Ilford Palais on a Saturday night in 1969, for example, you would hear a bit of reggae mixed with Tamla, soul / R&B and pop.  Some songs that especially stand out from my visits there are: I'll pick a Rose for my Rose, To Love Somebody (Nina Simone version), You Don't Know Like I Know, Wichita Lineman...quite a mixed bag!

'You don't know like I know' - Sam and Dave - I had forgotten all about that one.  Just downloaded it from youtube - great memories - thanks for the reminder

post #24239 of 25615
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobekoma View Post
 


what do you mean by that? 

 

You would be a magnet for attention .. if your smart looking some of it will be from people who appreciate the clobber .. most will be some wrong un's looking for trouble .

post #24240 of 25615

The fact of the matter is that the subculture is still going strong throughout the world. People are very much interested in it, however, they mostly look at the early 80s and Oi! stuff for influence. If there was some way to push or impress that there's more to it before 69 I think there could definitely be a turning point. I have friends that are into wearing Norwegian shoes, ruperts, and parallels. I'd love to see a revival of the style from 67-69.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead