or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1611

post #24151 of 24884
[quote name="Bela Kun" url="/t/89027/mod-to-suedehead/24135#post_

By the way, I'm currently lusting for a shirt as worn by the bloke in the picture. I tried ebay and Brittac shirts, which have a lot of madras and similar patterns. Unfortunately, nothing close enough - the colours are usually too loud & garish for my liking. I want them to be autumny. Can anyone help?

End of quote


On the cheap side, you could check sometimes the Lands End website. Quality BDs, really not expensive. They probably will propose some autumn colors soon. A poster from this forum i know have only good things to say about them....
post #24152 of 24884
I'll be chiming in once more with some questions everyone on this thread has heard 1000's of times (ha! ha!)

I am in the market for a new Harrington and I stumbled upon the Ben Nevis website and it seems that their harringtons are quality gear according to a couple of posters on this site. The question is, how is the sizing on them? I heard that the cut is generous but how much so? I usually wear a US Large in most gear. I don't want it to fit too big and I want to avoid getting the wrong size because the cost of shipping is pretty steep.

And while we're on the topic of shirts, any suggestions on where to find Oxford shirts that are more or less of "original" specs? I've tried many cheaper brands like Ralph Lauren Chaps, Izod, Lands End and JC Penney's Stafford brand (probably the best quality out of all) and I'm looking for something better. I've seen Brooks Brothers mentioned before, but are there any other suggestions? Thanks.
post #24153 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBoy View Post

I'll be chiming in once more with some questions everyone on this thread has heard 1000's of times (ha! ha!)

I am in the market for a new Harrington and I stumbled upon the Ben Nevis website and it seems that their harringtons are quality gear according to a couple of posters on this site. The question is, how is the sizing on them? I heard that the cut is generous but how much so? I usually wear a US Large in most gear. I don't want it to fit too big and I want to avoid getting the wrong size because the cost of shipping is pretty steep.

And while we're on the topic of shirts, any suggestions on where to find Oxford shirts that are more or less of "original" specs? I've tried many cheaper brands like Ralph Lauren Chaps, Izod, Lands End and JC Penney's Stafford brand (probably the best quality out of all) and I'm looking for something better. I've seen Brooks Brothers mentioned before, but are there any other suggestions? Thanks.

 

Ya mean with big 3 finger collar and back button, vent and hanger?  jump the gun and DNA groove do  plain oxford 1960's style shirts with the right details.

 

Tho i doubt you are going to find shirts these days which are completely like the ones back then, unless you buy vintage but thats even more expensive then buying new gear alot of the time.

post #24154 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBoy View Post

I'll be chiming in once more with some questions everyone on this thread has heard 1000's of times (ha! ha!)

I am in the market for a new Harrington and I stumbled upon the Ben Nevis website and it seems that their harringtons are quality gear according to a couple of posters on this site. The question is, how is the sizing on them? I heard that the cut is generous but how much so? I usually wear a US Large in most gear. I don't want it to fit too big and I want to avoid getting the wrong size because the cost of shipping is pretty steep.

And while we're on the topic of shirts, any suggestions on where to find Oxford shirts that are more or less of "original" specs? I've tried many cheaper brands like Ralph Lauren Chaps, Izod, Lands End and JC Penney's Stafford brand (probably the best quality out of all) and I'm looking for something better. I've seen Brooks Brothers mentioned before, but are there any other suggestions? Thanks.
You can definitely find inexpensive vintage Gant and Gitman Bros shirts on eBay and etsy with all of the right details.
post #24155 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post


You can definitely find inexpensive vintage Gant and Gitman Bros shirts on eBay and etsy with all of the right details.

 

I guessing im just looking in the wrong place, then!:D

post #24156 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela Kun View Post


Thanks for that, MoM. I checked my photo archives and discovered quite a few check & gingham shirts in the original era - not as many as today, but they were worn. Including a really nice gingham one with a massive fuck-off collar sported by your good self. 

I guess the difference was that they weren't worn as a default 'skinhead uniform' at the exclusion of everything else -

I think you might be referring to the pic of me pretending to throttle Mark Williams. That was a bog-standard gingham Ben Sherman. There were a lot of them about.

Re 'default skinhead uniform', do I recall Robert Elms (or someone) talking about the time a bunch of his older brother's mates called round his house, and they had crombies - one bloke had a sheepskin - tonik strides, and gingham shirts? There's a passage something like that. Anyone?
post #24157 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Carlson View Post


Do you remember a particular brand of American shirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post


'The first BD shirts we had (in the Ivy shop) from America were called Tigers Foot and they were made by Dickies, but not the Dickies you know today (...) the collars were quite small, not unlike the Ralph Lauren collar'

John Simons

Gilles, is there any note of the year that JS is talking about there?

I recall buying a short-sleeved American sports shirt - I've spoken about this before - from the Squire Shop in 1969. That had a 3-finger collar, not a small one. I can only vaguely remember looking at the label inside the collar. I couldn't put a name to it. Tiger's Foot and Dickies do not ring a bell, however.
post #24158 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post



Gilles, is there any note of the year that JS is talking about there?

I recall buying a short-sleeved American sports shirt - I've spoken about this before - from the Squire Shop in 1969. That had a 3-finger collar, not a small one. I can only vaguely remember looking at the label inside the collar. I couldn't put a name to it. Tiger's Foot and Dickies do not ring a bell, however.


No mention of the exact year but it seems to be soon after the opening of The Ivy Shop in 1965 in Richmond.

The source is 'The Soul Stylists', chapter three : 'The button-down types'.

it also says that the Ivy shop had their own range of shirts, the Albany line, they had made by a shirtmaker in Walthamstow.

post #24159 of 24884
MoM- the Robert Elmes reference comes from the superb The Way We Wore.
For anyone that hasn't got it, get it
post #24160 of 24884
Career Club was another brand from JS c1969 / 70. I had two or three shirts from them. I think he also sold Fruit of the Loom, which would also have been US made then.
post #24161 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


I think you might be referring to the pic of me pretending to throttle Mark Williams. That was a bog-standard gingham Ben Sherman. There were a lot of them about.
 

That's the one. The camera angle makes the collar roll look even more impressive.

post #24162 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post


Yeah that looks a lot like a pic of '80s fellows. I think I recognize the one with the pin on his braces.

Manor Park Skins in early 1979, maybe late 78

....and yes know S with the badge

Tom

post #24163 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post


You can definitely find inexpensive vintage Gant and Gitman Bros shirts on eBay and etsy with all of the right details.

Gitman vintage makes top draw shirts - many quality on line mens stores stock in the uk .. not cheap but .

Great to see the Roots told here https://vimeo.com/180750182

post #24164 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

Gitman vintage makes top draw shirts - many quality on line mens stores stock in the uk .. not cheap but .
Great to see the Roots told here 
https://vimeo.com/180750182

Honestly, Gitman are my favourite shirts hands down. I've owned everything from Ben Sherman to vintage Brooks "Makers" shirts (which have cache with many current "Ivy-ist") and the Gitman Bros Vintage just work for me. They are quite dear if purchased new, but I have found at least 7 through eBay for less than a new shirt from Uniqlo.

Just takes a bit of patience 🤓
post #24165 of 24884
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny legs View Post

MoM- the Robert Elmes reference comes from the superb The Way We Wore.
For anyone that hasn't got it, get it

Thanks, I believe you're right.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead