or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1599

post #23971 of 24872
Just realised I mentioned mentioned Hawkins instead of Harkins.
I wonder whether Richard Allen named his fictitious skin Joe Hawkins with a nod to Harkins who was a high profile face?
post #23972 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny legs View Post

Just realised I mentioned mentioned Hawkins instead of Harkins.
I wonder whether Richard Allen named his fictitious skin Joe Hawkins with a nod to Harkins who was a high profile face?

Skinny Legs (any relation to Legs Diamond ?), it is my understanding that Richard Allen was a writer "for hire" and had no particular interest in skinheads, they were the "flavor" the publisher desired. I have heard it said that he only meet actual skinheads once or twice, but they would have been a common enough presence for him to casually witness easily, either in person or in the newspapers.

post #23973 of 24872

I always assumed the boring truth was that he was named after Hawkins Astronauts. Or maybe not so boring, seeing as they're the most stylish boots from the period.

post #23974 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post
 

The main man 'eccles ' certainly is still goes over the Bridge  . The word is hes a self made millionaire .

 

To be a paper millionaire in West London near Stamford Bridge you only need to have your own house in that area. I have worked with a few chaps in that situation who bought their houses in the 70's and are now sitting pretty.

post #23975 of 24872

You probably need to be millionaire to go to Stamford Bridge on a regular basis these days !  I can never remember  the cost of getting in being an issue  when I went to West Ham as a kid and as a teenager ('65-'75).

post #23976 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post
 

 

To be a paper millionaire in West London near Stamford Bridge you only need to have your own house in that area. I have worked with a few chaps in that situation who bought their houses in the 70's and are now sitting pretty.

Think hes a builder who brought quite a few and did em up .

post #23977 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Pinstripe View Post
 

You probably need to be millionaire to go to Stamford Bridge on a regular basis these days !  I can never remember  the cost of getting in being an issue  when I went to West Ham as a kid and as a teenager ('65-'75).

My season ticket works out about £38 a game .. 

post #23978 of 24872


Well here's hoping you don't get your money's worth tonight !

post #23979 of 24872

At the risk of asking a question that's been resolved hundreds of pages ago...

 

The received wisdom is that Fred Perry tennis shirts ('polos') were worn by 60s mods, but not by original skinheads. I remember reading that some skins wore John Smedley polos, though - usually without tipping.

 

Check out the kid second from the left, though: single tipped polo, might well be a Fred Perry. Taken in Somers Town London in 1969.

 

As to the kid on the far left, is that a John Smedley (my knowledge of JS is extremely rudimentary)? 

 

Any chance they're neither FP nor JS - would skinheads have worn generic polos rather than name ones?

 

post #23980 of 24872

I'm sure it's been said before, but  just in case - the clothes were not cheap and for those of us that were still at school, we wore mostly the same few items over and over again. I do remember Fred Perry's being worn, but I don't remember them being on anyones "wish list". For some of us getting the DM's, Levis and Ben Sherman had been quite an undertaking, for me it was via Birthday, Xmas and Saturday Job. With Sta Prest, Harringtons and short sleeve Brutus still to get and eventually acquired, I can't remember any talk of Fred Perry's. There were kids that had it all - but not many and they were usually looked down upon out of jealousy and resentment. I never had a Crombie  (knock off) - some of my mates that did, lacked some other "essential" item. Obviously I'm speaking for the older working skinheads, but most of them would not have been earning a great deal of money.

post #23981 of 24872

Apologies to all that should say "NOT speaking for older working skinheads"

post #23982 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela Kun View Post
 

At the risk of asking a question that's been resolved hundreds of pages ago...

 

The received wisdom is that Fred Perry tennis shirts ('polos') were worn by 60s mods, but not by original skinheads. I remember reading that some skins wore John Smedley polos, though - usually without tipping.

 

Check out the kid second from the left, though: single tipped polo, might well be a Fred Perry. Taken in Somers Town London in 1969.

 

As to the kid on the far left, is that a John Smedley (my knowledge of JS is extremely rudimentary)? 

 

Any chance they're neither FP nor JS - would skinheads have worn generic polos rather than name ones?

 

 

From 69 to 71 we only wore the 'Fred Perry' brand of polo type shirts and I continued wearing that make for a following 10 years..

post #23983 of 24872
I remember wearing Slazenger polos - bought from Hurleys in manchester Piccadilly.

Anyhoo... here are some reprinted articles from International Times from 1969-'73. (Their 'Yell' section.)


http://www.skinheadheaven.org.uk/index.php/cuttings

I've tried to find the originals - without success - but these are (IMHO) worth a look at. (CHECK OUT THE PDF FOR ORIGINAL ARTICLES, BTW.)

Big thanks to the website owner/ poster.bigstar[1].gif
Edited by Ed Vaughan - 8/16/16 at 6:28am
post #23984 of 24872
Forgot about Hurleys ed, 'twas a good shop.
post #23985 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

Go for these. Same brand but made for the US market. Only difference is no label on back pocket. I've picked these up for as little as $15. Try trawling US eBay or Us online shops for even cheaper.
For the quality these pants aren't worth $80+

https://www.allseasonsuniforms.com/products/ea1001p-stan-ray-4-pocket-fatigue-pant
Botolph, how are the fit on these jungle greens? And do they sit low or high on the waist? Thinking of picking up a pair. Thanks in advance.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead