or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1586

post #23776 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by covskin View Post


Surely 502 (zip) not 501 (buttons) - good luck finding a shrink-to-fit 502 these days though (the rumpled zip is not actually a problem). So how did the Lee jacket turn out? I remember some ambiguity in its description (dry, raw, rigid so shrink-to-fit? - even though a Lee jacket?!?).

(the number 502 has since been reused by Levi to mean something other than a 501 with a zip)

It turned out pretty f***ing amazing - one of my favourite jackets for sure, and I wasn't even that big a fan of denim jackets before (more of a Harrington man in the summer). I haven't washed it yet as the 13 oz denim was instantly wearable and the fit very good. I understand it's raw but sanforised denim, so I don't expect much shrinkage.

 

Money well spent.

post #23777 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela Kun View Post
 

It turned out pretty f***ing amazing - one of my favourite jackets for sure, and I wasn't even that big a fan of denim jackets before (more of a Harrington man in the summer). I haven't washed it yet as the 13 oz denim was instantly wearable and the fit very good. I understand it's raw but sanforised denim, so I don't expect much shrinkage.

 

Money well spent.

Rule 1 for Raw Denim dont wash for a least a year of hard wearing .

post #23778 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by covskin View Post


I think their jeans were introduced some time after their shirts though, around 1973/74. Brutus, Lee Cooper and Falmer - the Denim, Hai Karate and Brut of the jeans world.

Jean Jeanie, Jean Machine, jumpers for goalposts, etc...

Brutus denim were the Brush denim 'Budgie ' look ..  cheese cloth shirts . Stars n stripes T shirts and Toppers .. ( white wooden clogs for those brave enough to go Full Adam Faith ).

post #23779 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

Rule 1 for Raw Denim dont wash for a least a year of hard wearing .

Ok for a jacket, but for jeans trousers only a few months, otherwise they most probably will tear apart.
post #23780 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

I'm still busy transcribing.

Around pp.1066-1068 there was some talk of 'safari jackets'. That puzzled me greatly. I never saw them except occasionally on the back of Peter-Wyngarde-lookalikes, or Roger Moore, or in old Stewart Granger movies. (see pics below). I certainly didn't see any mods or skinheads wearing them. I did see the occasional 'combat jacket', but that was quickly supplanted by the parka for mods, and combat jackets thereafter were the sign of a 'mid' (a bloke who kinda wasn't anything, but picked up what bits of mod or rocker clothing he liked and to hell with what anyone else thought). So what kind of jacket were we talking about back there?

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

M-o-M I was one who mentioned safari jackets as a short-lived phenomenon in the mid 1960s. I enquired if anyone had seen recent examples and Kingstonian (I think) recommended Silvermans in East London. I bought one this time last year from them.  Not had chance to take any pics as it has been back and forth to my alterations man but I shall do as it is very similar to the one I had back in the day.  That one may well have come from Millets.

 

This is Silverman's own image, which is too brightly coloured / saturated.  The real colour is closer to your second pic.

 

post #23781 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post
 

Rule 1 for Raw Denim dont wash for a least a year of hard wearing .

Any tips for how to wash raw denim if you want to preserve the dark indigo and aren't keen on fades? Just soak it in cold water w/o detergent?

post #23782 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post


Ok for a jacket, but for jeans trousers only a few months, otherwise they most probably will tear apart.

Not if you cold soak them first to lose the starch . I usually buy a pair of Selvedge Raw denim every 2 years - you get great fades and Honeycombs if you dont wash until at least 9 months plus .

post #23783 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela Kun View Post
 

Any tips for how to wash raw denim if you want to preserve the dark indigo and aren't keen on fades? Just soak it in cold water w/o detergent?

http://www.saigon3.com.vn/en/News/Newsletter/Newsletter-8/

post #23784 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

Not if you cold soak them first to lose the starch . I usually buy a pair of Selvedge Raw denim every 2 years - you get great fades and Honeycombs if you dont wash until at least 9 months plus .

Doesn't it tear in the crotch area ? The longer i did is four month i think, then first wash in cold water with just a little of Washing liquid special for dark colors. Usually gives good result.
post #23785 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post


Doesn't it tear in the crotch area ? The longer i did is four month i think, then first wash in cold water with just a little of Washing liquid special for dark colors. Usually gives good result.

'Blow out ' .. i had that happen to one pair - Son of Stag over Brick lane repaired em .. it can happen although the  'fade brigade ' see that as a badge of honour lol 

post #23786 of 24916

Levi's recommends no washing.Put the jeans in a plastic bag and place in the freezer for 2 days.Eliminates bacteria etc.Obviously with dirt its a different game.I wash in Cold water with a cup of distilled white vinegar.No soaps.

post #23787 of 24916
Never struck me that high-contrast whiskers, honeycombs and the like are in any way skinhead. Something a bit hippy about them, makes me think of tie-dye and flares.
Edited by covskin - 7/11/16 at 12:01pm
post #23788 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by covskin View Post

Never struck me that high-contrast whiskers, honeycombs and the like are in any way skinhead. Something a bit hippy about them, makes me think of tie-dye and flares.

No way Skinhead just a little micro world of their own .

post #23789 of 24916

Hello can anyone help - I remember my mate getting a pair of Major Domo Boots in about 1976 1977 they were amazing and we all wanted them - they were like a Dr Marten Rider/Dealer style with elasticated sides and a thick airwear sole but they also made a lace up 10 hole Dr Marten lookalike - I can't find any info anywhere on Major Domo - any clues anyone????

post #23790 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Jackson View Post

Hello can anyone help - I remember my mate getting a pair of Major Domo Boots in about 1976 1977 they were amazing and we all wanted them - they were like a Dr Marten Rider/Dealer style with elasticated sides and a thick airwear sole but they also made a lace up 10 hole Dr Marten lookalike - I can't find any info anywhere on Major Domo - any clues anyone????

Never saw them i think, but i heard of Major Domo. I think they were cheap copies of DMs, a bit like Sargeant Pepper (that i remember)? At the time a lot of shoe brands had DM style soles, licensed or not.
Have a look at Blackmans, they do some dealer boots, and dealer brogue boots, with look alike DM soles, not bad at all (and quite cheap !)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead