Stanley Adams brought my first Smith jeans from there , Browns in south moulton st being THE Ivy shop of its day .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:26 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Mod to Suedehead - Page 1567post #23492 of 245405/13/16 at 1:53ampost #23493 of 245405/13/16 at 2:14ampost #23494 of 245405/13/16 at 8:22ampost #23495 of 245405/16/16 at 12:12ampost #23496 of 245405/16/16 at 8:38ampost #23497 of 245405/16/16 at 9:16ampost #23498 of 245405/16/16 at 12:06pm
Nah, not in my time, really my youth I suppose 75-81, no West Ham to speak of them in Hoxton, support was spilt mainly between us and the woolwich mob.... remember a few from Haggerston were also Spurs, Tony L, Steve and Nicky B amongst others around 78-79. I went over West Ham for a few years,79-81 with most of the lot I hung about with.post #23499 of 245405/16/16 at 12:56pmQuote:
Just curious, Tom: whereabout in Shoreditch and Hoxton are you from? Also, I remember you saying there was a revivalist mob in Hoxton in the late 70s (I think you mentioned brogues were more popular with you than boots). Were there any particular hangouts or pubs in Hoxton where you lot were to be found?post #23500 of 245405/16/16 at 1:17pm
I lived in Shoreditch proper, south of Old Street, as a kid as many others did before Hackney moved us out as part of,the Abercrombie Plan, the same plan that destroyed a number of communities in London. I lived in the south of Pitfield Street and moved back and forwards between there Shoreditch for a couple of years and then stayed in Pitfield Street until 81 when I married and moved out, back to a house we bought in Shoreditch around the corner from Worship Street. Some of the buildings we lived in, in the early years were very much like tenements, Victoria Chambers is still there in Paul Street.
As for local pub, most of the revival lot started in 77 and then much bigger in 78, even a few of our normal mates getting crops. Actually during the week it would be hanging about in the Lion Club or the Pitfield (Youth Club - where the photo in my avatar was taken
) if not at a gig. Our local boozers were the ones we'd always gone in, with the rest of our mates,and relatives,such as the Horns, now Browns on the corner of Hackney Road and The High Street, sometimes the Nags and the Queens - both long gone. Also the Blue Coat Boy in Norton Folgate. The ones from Murray Grove drank in the Shaftesbury. As for skinhead pubs, not many then and none really in Hoxton, on Sunday it started in the Green Gate in Bethnal Green Road and moved around the area. Mainly as a little mob, if not at a gig we'd go up the Hope and Anchor and then settled on the Blue Coat Boy in the autumn of 78.
Edited by TomMc666 - 5/16/16 at 1:28pmpost #23501 of 245405/16/16 at 7:03pm
I've dropped in on this forum every once in a while for a few years, read a lot, but never had anything interesting to contribute myself. The other day however I snagged these trousers at a thrift shop for three dollars and change (they did have a 2" slice right on one ass cheek). I regularly come across Action Slacks, the jean pocket style polyester "Sta-Prest", and hideous flares that are all branded one way or another as "Sta-Prest". These are very different from any of these. The fabric is very light and quite similar to the sateen you'd find on OG-107 jungle greens. They have frog mouth pockets, no belt loops and a button adjustable waistband. I was wondering, are these actual legitimate late 60's Sta-Prest? For ID purposes I included shots of the tag, the details of the adjustable waistband and a stormtrooper in Sta-Prest.post #23502 of 245405/17/16 at 12:52ampost #23503 of 245405/17/16 at 1:07am^^ that Sta Prest reminds me a lot of (something) Prest I wore late 70s in the light blue ice blue stapress colour. Exactly the same pockets, the keeper behind the fly rings a bell but no waist adjusters as I recall. Metal hook not button closure too and not that label but something white with '...Prest' on it. Also a straighter leg than the early 80s stapress.
I would welcome more discussion of Sta Prest/stapress - why does nobody ever seem to have had a vintage pair so we can have memories jogged with photos and talk details of pockets, labels, etc?
Edited by covskin - 5/17/16 at 2:18ampost #23504 of 245405/17/16 at 3:25amQuote:
Well - inevitably - there's this photo...
but of course the sheepskin covers where my pockets and waistband are. The first thing I can tell you is that when I bought them my girlfriend of the time (Mardie, an ex-mod from Southampton) didn't like them at all. I am racking my brains to remember whether they had fly-pockets or frogmouths, and I'm sorry to say I can't be definite. I have a feeling they are fly. Anyhow, I am sure I saw both on other blokes. They had two back pockets. Other details - labels etc. - I can't remember either. They were Levis. Round S E London no one seemed to wear anything other than stone/beige. I've said all this before, I'm sure.post #23505 of 245405/17/16 at 6:54amQuote:
I'm still transcribing stuff from earlier in the thread, when I can catch an hour to do so. I spotted this one. It rang a bell because it called to mind the cartoons of Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth from the 1960s, and the song by Alan Sherman.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Mod to Suedehead 3 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › What dress shirts/collars produce this kind of "look"? 7 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 11 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know 14 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 15 minutes ago
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...