or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1565

post #23461 of 24861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post


(I'm knackered trying to find accents on flipping' Macs)

I névèr hâvë thåt prøblĕm. biggrin.gif
post #23462 of 24861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

Does anyone know how to copy photos from the link above from Ed

I have tried the usual 'save image as' etc but no luck.  They may be inaccessible?  There are a few pics we have not seen here before

Good to see you posting again Ed and good luck with the hip next week

Try simply dragging them to your desktop.

Alternatively, keep taking screen-shots and crop the wanted image from the result.
post #23463 of 24861
Pub prices. I can remember, in 1968, there was a fairly new pub just outside Blackpool (opposite a row of shops on Hardhorn Way, Poulton) which has since been demolished, and you could still get a pint for just under a shilling.
post #23464 of 24861

Best of luck with the op. Ed. Look forward to seeing more posts from you as soon as you are able.

post #23465 of 24861


Ed…with you under the anesthetic,it should make United play and the Final more attractive !

 

They will be putting a warning on all hospital TV screens

 

"Objects may appear closer than actually are.Do not adjust your set.Characters may appear to be moving faster than they actually are" 

 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Ed.

 

When I die and they lay me to rest…………….

post #23466 of 24861
Thanks very much for all your good wishes, chums... I wish I had taken more water with last night's vodka though - I suffered this morning!baldy[1].gif
post #23467 of 24861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Aye, remember them well... Levi's were 53/- or £2-13s or even just £2-65p in today's new world. smile.gif from Jeffery Cohen's gaff on New Brown Street.(JC later did all the 'Stolen from Ivor' cheapos etc.)

Wranglers were a couple of bob cheaper and I have no idea about Lee Riders.nod[1].gif

BS also around the price of Levi's while Jaytex, like Wranglers, were a few shillings cheaper.

Brutus were not on my want list in '69.

A Levi denim jacket was just shy of a £fiver at £4-19-6d.

Thanks for making an old man feel even older, BTW! satisfied.gif

 

Decimalisation was certainly a clever con, and I'm sure fortunes were made on the back of it . They told us that with 100 pennies to the Pound it would make things easier but old money wasn't difficult if you could count. .

 

I liked the hawf croon , the wooden thrupenny and of course the tanner, it was like real money compared to the toy town stuff we get now. I think in real terms tho' , the Levis you mention are cheaper to buy now unless of course you are buying LVC but you would need the LVC for the weight and quality that we got back then. .

post #23468 of 24861
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
 

 

Decimalisation was certainly a clever con, and I'm sure fortunes were made on the back of it . They told us that with 100 pennies to the Pound it would make things easier but old money wasn't difficult if you could count. .

 

I liked the hawf croon , the wooden thrupenny and of course the tanner, it was like real money compared to the toy town stuff we get now. I think in real terms tho' , the Levis you mention are cheaper to buy now unless of course you are buying LVC but you would need the LVC for the weight and quality that we got back then. .

 

'Old' money made sense. Goods often come in packs of 12 - a box 3x4 - so, if something was 5 old pence, then they were 5 shillings for a dozen. Drifting right off topic here...........  still, fits with the era, I suppose....

 

For our younger members (and those overseas) 12 pennies = 1 shilling . 20 shilling = £1

 

A throwback to the Roman occupation was that the pound symbol £ originally stood for Lira and the symbol for a penny was d, which originally stood for dinar therefore Levis would be priced £3 7s 6d. Some goods would be priced in 'Guineas'  which was £1 1s


Edited by roytonboy - 5/5/16 at 12:33pm
post #23469 of 24861
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post
 

 

'Old' money made sense. Goods often come in packs of 12 - a box 3x4 - so, if something was 5 old pence, then they were 5 shillings for a dozen. Drifting right off topic here...........  still, fits with the era, I suppose....

 

For our younger members (and those overseas) 12 pennies = 1 shilling . 20 shilling = £1

 

A throwback to the Roman occupation was that the pound symbol £ originally stood for Lira and the symbol for a penny was d, which originally stood for dinar therefore Levis would be priced £3 7s 6d. Some goods would be priced in 'Guineas'  which was £1 1s

 

Indeed , Pounds , shillings and pence or LSD . .:)

 

Yes , apart from your example , it seemed easier to work out if things were sold in dozens , which obviously many things were . I recall adverts on the tv back then that would say something like . ."only 17 Guineas , mail order. ."

post #23470 of 24861
My old man now still talks about 50 bob suits, paid in instalments.
I went through his wardrobe a while back, and he's still got a covert coat which dates back back to the early 60s, which bears testimony to the quality of the thing- a Jewish Tailor in Balham made it for him apparantly.
Talking of which; this is perhaps one for the look goes on thread, but what the heck...
What's the longest owned clothing item in your own wardrobes?
Personally it's an old silk Chelsea scarf that was purchased in Wandsworth circa 74.
It's faded purple now, has well earnt it's keep, and still looks decent with a crombie
post #23471 of 24861
My uncle bought a very expensive overcoat in the mid sixties ,I can't remember the cost but the price was in Guineas which to me always made it more quality,
post #23472 of 24861
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny legs View Post

My old man now still talks about 50 bob suits, paid in instalments.
I went through his wardrobe a while back, and he's still got a covert coat which dates back back to the early 60s, which bears testimony to the quality of the thing- a Jewish Tailor in Balham made it for him apparantly.
Talking of which; this is perhaps one for the look goes on thread, but what the heck...
What's the longest owned clothing item in your own wardrobes?
Personally it's an old silk Chelsea scarf that was purchased in Wandsworth circa 74.
It's faded purple now, has well earnt it's keep, and still looks decent with a crombie

My old Levi denim jacket, originally bought in 1969. Unsurprisingly it doesn't fit now as I was 14 or 15 at the time. I wore it through the skinhead and bootboy eras, for 3 years as a student and even to go to work when I was 23. A couple of years ago I got it down from the loft and gave it to my girlfriend as they were quite trendy at the time.

post #23473 of 24861
Apologies all, it's only in the last week I've learned how to post 'reps' - early onset daftness setting in, I fear.

Still a great forum and I owe all of you who have been kind, (at least) a pint... Royton Boy and our mate from Nooten 'eef (sic) - will get them in at the next 'do'.cheers.gif
post #23474 of 24861
Thank you ed Vaughan, I'll be sipping a few grey gooses tonight to your good health
post #23475 of 24861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Apologies all, it's only in the last week I've learned how to post 'reps' - early onset daftness setting in, I fear.
 

 

That makes two of us Ed ! Sorry for my ignorance folks:embar:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead