or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1528

post #22906 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post


Top-drawer, Tom. The mac's looking nice! London All-Stars there.
Tel's b-day I presume? We chatted back and forth t'other day. Gotta get over there again and get a ruby and a couple scoops in with you gents.


All this talk of Air wair, etc: I have a pair of oxblood 6-eye Solovair Hawkins, wear them traveling, walking, gigs, out to bars, etc. Although I wear them less than brogues, smooths, and loafers these days, I've had them for about four years and the wear has been considerably minor. My only qualm is that a grommet has come out near the arch.
Solovair boots wear much better than DM's-- though I haven't worn any MiE's since my first pair(,from when they still WERE ALL made in England).

 

The boot of choice in my mob was the 6 eyelet. We didn't go for the higher boot nonsense or steel toe caps. Back then a lot of running took place so a low lightweight boot was best. We didn't hang about street corners and I used shoes for pubs and dancehalls. I had a pair of officer boots that were higher but didn't wear them much. The early MIE air wair soles seemed more bouncy to me than later versions but that might be my memory playing tricks.

post #22907 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post
 

 

The boot of choice in my mob was the 6 eyelet. We didn't go for the higher boot nonsense or steel toe caps. Back then a lot of running took place so a low lightweight boot was best. We didn't hang about street corners and I used shoes for pubs and dancehalls. I had a pair of officer boots that were higher but didn't wear them much. The early MIE air wair soles seemed more bouncy to me than later versions but that might be my memory playing tricks.

I would say that you are spot on and that your mind is not playing tricks . They used to say on the box something like "with Bouncing Soles", which was certainly very true when new at least . It must have worn off after a wee while because it was certainly more noticeable with new ones or was that Bouncing Soles advert feeding our minds. .

post #22908 of 24872

 

Do you recognize them ? Some of them (like 'Gary' and the bunch on the last pic) are on the infamous gay skinhead pics that created controversy on this thread.

Dated 1972 (probably magazine publication date, not pictures. Nicked on Brieul.) Most probably coming from a gay revue. Some seem to wear 6 eyelets DMs BTW.

post #22909 of 24872

I'll accept apologies in writing, sms, email or in person thanks....... :embar:

 

Aye, I remember all the neysayers!!!!

 

As I pointed out at the time (not in 1972!!!). Gay lad's who were Skinheads, not Gay Skinheads, which is something much more sinister.

 

I wondered how long, before these hit the forum, after being discovered.

 

Case Closed I'd say.

post #22910 of 24872

Thought you'd be interested Gramps :) 


Edited by Clouseau - 2/8/16 at 1:14pm
post #22911 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
 

Thought you'd be interested Gramps :) 

I could take that in the wrong way tha kna's :dozingoff:

post #22912 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
 

I could take that in the wrong way tha kna's :dozingoff:

Naughty boy

 

For the record

post #22913 of 24872

1960__element--2.png..here we have the bouncing soles , for real. .

post #22914 of 24872


Also , the incredible 3 eyelet boot. .

 

 

dr-martens-dr-martens-ray-mens-leather-3-eyelet-chukka-boots-black-p45239-63741_image.jpg..don't remember seeing this one before. .

post #22915 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
 


Also , the incredible 3 eyelet boot. .

 

 

dr-martens-dr-martens-ray-mens-leather-3-eyelet-chukka-boots-black-p45239-63741_image.jpg..don't remember seeing this one before. .

Where can I buy them? They look good to me. I would like a pair in oxblood .

post #22916 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
 

1960__element--2.png..here we have the bouncing soles , for real. .

I remember the bounce soon went if you trod on a nail. With a knife heated over a gas stove it was possible to do a DIY repair. The last pair of air wair boots I bought were missing the bounce even when fresh out of the box. Did the manufacturing process change?

post #22917 of 24872

 

They have been around for a few years now Bob.They were on the DM website before.I actually bought a pr ,but with a more chisel like toe shape.Unfortunately the sizing seemed to be off and I couldn't get a pr that fit right.I loved the style however and the upper leather wasn't too bad.Dr Marten "Gilberto"

post #22918 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMc666 View Post
 

West Ham, Charlton, Millwall and Spurs

I use Microsoft Word 'Claret & Blue' edition. 'Millwall' is flagged as a 'non-word' for some reason

Only joking. London United !

post #22919 of 24872


Picked up these original 1960s tortoiseshell Polaroid sun-bins from a seller in Newcastle for a tenner on ebay.

I bet my mincers still look like pissholes in the snow though.

post #22920 of 24872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post





Picked up these original 1960s tortoiseshell Polaroid sun-bins from a seller in Newcastle for a tenner on ebay.
I bet my mincers still look like pissholes in the snow though.

A touch 'Joe 90', but stylish.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead