The red lining is a must have. .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:33 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 1524post #22846 of 253872/2/16 at 2:56pmpost #22847 of 253872/2/16 at 3:28pmpost #22848 of 253872/2/16 at 11:35pmQuote:
Bearing in mind that what we called a 'Crombie' back in the day was a style rather than a make (it was the Biro or Hoover of dark blue overcoats, if you see what I mean), as everyone above has indicated, then I do recall one or two girls wearing coats that had the crombie idea, but were tailored for the female figure. Also a similar cut was available, in other colours, as a lightweight coat in Trevira.post #22849 of 253872/3/16 at 2:23ampost #22850 of 253872/3/16 at 7:14am
I can see where you are coming from Botolph,but like the Crombie,The Covert is made from it's namesake fabric.The defining difference of a Covert would be the four or five rows of stitching along the hem and cuffs.Apart from that,style wise is shares most things with a Crombie as we know it.I disagree about the requisite Red linining however as others have stated.I don't recall the girls ones being particularly fitted either? Certainly not like the other styles (Mod-ish tweed?) that have been posted.Though that did happen withe the Trevira/POW Suits that they wore. I 'm guessing these girls were pre skinhead.The shoes and (BOAC?) bag next to the girl in the van sways me in that direction.post #22851 of 253872/3/16 at 7:33ampost #22852 of 253872/3/16 at 11:05am
The term 'Herbert' goes back generations in East London. My grandfather who would be 120 years old today used the term and so did my dad. Other terms for young men were 'Hounds' and 'Roosters'. Definitely not words created by skinheads. 'Sort' however I believe to be a Skinhead created word.post #22853 of 253872/3/16 at 11:32ampost #22854 of 253872/3/16 at 12:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by Bela Kun
MoM: I understand that in the 1980s, 'herbert' was used in the Sounds/Gary Bushell universe to describe someone who follows Oi! music, but is neither skinhead nor punk. He might wear a Harrington, shaggy hair, and is more of an ordinary looking geezer. A bit like a casual, only not as well dressed. Cockney Rejects and East End Badoes are two bands that, I guess, embody the 'herbert' archetype.
Tom Mc666 might be able to tell us more about herberts, though, as I believe a certain band recorded a 'herbert version' of their hit song, Chaos.
The term herbert has been about a good few years, roughly meant you herbert as in you mug or idiot or a bunch of herberts..... its later use around music, god knows, your definition is right, I suppose it must have just sounded rightpost #22855 of 253872/3/16 at 1:11pm
This 3/4 length sheepskin coat came in my mail today. Made by Antartex of Scotland some time in the distant past. Four football buttons are on their way.
I suppose it's somewhat different to the original 1969/70 sheepskins - for one, the pockets aren't slanted, and I guess the cream colour would have been 'unusual' back then?
But the fit is amazing, and the coat really looks stylish with dark indigo Levi's and oxblood boots.
What does the skinhead fashion police think?post #22856 of 253872/3/16 at 9:40pmQuote:
There were a lot of these about in mid-late 1969 around my neck of the woods. A lot of the younger birds wore them as school coats apart from anything else.post #22857 of 253872/3/16 at 9:41pmpost #22858 of 253872/4/16 at 1:10ampost #22859 of 253872/4/16 at 5:41ampost #22860 of 253872/4/16 at 9:52am
I know this isn't strictly clothing related but I'm researching a BBC Four documentary about skinheads and I'm trying to speak some women who were skinheads in the late 1960s /early 1970s. Does anyone know any former skinhead girls?
If so (they don't need to still follow the fashions now), please can you drop me a message and I can give you my details for how they can get in touch.
I'm really enjoying the thread!
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 24 seconds ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 3 minutes ago
- › Tailor in Nottingham or East Midlands. 3 minutes ago
- › Bespoke suit, one or two pants? 5 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch $50 Gift Card 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 7 minutes ago
- › How to make darts less noticeable? 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...