or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 152

post #2266 of 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
It would be easier too if we could have a Mod/Skin cut off date too!

It would be easier, yes, but like the man said, 'It doesn't work like that.' In '68, for example, the London 'totters' didn't call themselves 'mods' any more, but the term 'skinhead' was still an insult. Up North something of the 'mod' ethos lasted well into the Northern Soul era. Boundaries of time and space blurred, Bunters old bean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
Somebody help me here, going round in bleedin circles now.

Let us know when you... er... disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
...having a shotgun stuck in your face ruined mohair trousers so I'm informed

Strewth, I can imagine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
Think more 'Mulberry Bush' the pursuit of pleasure, girls and to impress your mates.

You had to mention that bloody film. Put me right off me Weetabix!
post #2267 of 25191
There is this misconception that Northerners only wore Levi Jackets.I had one in `68.I had not been no further than Watford in the 60s.I know I will probably upset Lasttye on this one-but Chelsea were not in the forefront of Skinhead Fashion(back in the day).So the comment from a Chelsea Supporter showed that he had not been to West Ham.Levi Jackets were worn with Jungle Greens-ask the Mile End.The one thing that put the Northerners apart(later)was the Patch over the pocket-hence the Album Cover.
post #2268 of 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post
The one thing that put the Northerners apart(later)was the Patch over the pocket-hence the Album Cover.

They did that in '67 too, by the way.
post #2269 of 25191
Mom, I believe I found some Jodphur Boots on ebay. They do look pretty nice, not really my style though, not a fan of non-laceup boots.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAREST-DOC-MARTE...item1c17ffc397
post #2270 of 25191
I am sure Some London skinheads in the 60s had jean jackets , but i never saw it, I would stand on the Chelsea Shed End thousands of us, and no jean jackets. If you went to Manchester, Liverpool, it was like a uniform, a London skinhead would not wear one as it was considered northern Kit.
post #2271 of 25191
Just came across a few more interesting pics:





post #2272 of 25191




post #2273 of 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Roest View Post
Just came across a few more interesting pics:
Those are the Smithies from Deptford. I knew at least one of them (the bloke extreme left). I got permission from the newspaper to reproduce that pic here, but it looks like it has been cribbed onto a few more sites.
post #2274 of 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Roest View Post
This appears to be a composite picture. I have my doubts about the girls on the left being from the late 60s - they seem a bit too brash. Just an impression.
post #2275 of 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikouja View Post
Mom, I believe I found some Jodphur Boots on ebay. They do look pretty nice, not really my style though, not a fan of non-laceup boots.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAREST-DOC-MARTE...item1c17ffc397

No, those aren't what we used to wear. Our 'riders' were elastic sided, more like the ones below.

post #2276 of 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
No, those aren't what we used to wear. Our 'riders' were elastic sided, more like the ones below.


Did they not call em Chelsea boots in the mid 6os.
post #2277 of 25191
They are not unlike Chelsea boots, in fact they're very like them; but 'riders'/jodhpur boots were made specifically for horse riding. For one thing they had leather soles so that they did not catch the horse's hair or skin.
post #2278 of 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
They are not unlike Chelsea boots, in fact they're very like them; but 'riders'/jodhpur boots were made specifically for horse riding. For one thing they had leather soles so that they did not catch the horse's hair or skin.
They became known as "Dealer Boots"-with the rubber sole,in East London.
post #2279 of 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
This appears to be a composite picture. I have my doubts about the girls on the left being from the late 60s - they seem a bit too brash. Just an impression.
Knew some Girls who were very brash,in the 60s-but then that is a different subject!!!
post #2280 of 25191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
Those are the Smithies from Deptford. I knew at least one of them (the bloke extreme left). I got permission from the newspaper to reproduce that pic here, but it looks like it has been cribbed onto a few more sites.
I met a skinhead at work from Bermondsey in 69, and is a friend to this Day, He is a Millwall supporter, Although i was a Chelsea supporter i would get down Millwall with him and he would come to Chelsea, Got to know the Millwall faces, Black lad T, and the K Brothers. We would Drink in the Wellington, New Cross, Also would get in the Dunn Cow, and the Royal Oak Tooley st, Happy Days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead