or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1487

post #22291 of 24881

London Smoothie / Boot boys - Ruperts and not so baggy trousers . Those Chelsea kids again .

Quote:
Originally Posted by covskin View Post
 
Code:
When I started secondary school in 1974 it was pretty clear that bootboys were most strongly represented in the top year aged 15 or 16 so they could well have been younger or later skinheads in their time. I remember some of them making fun of an older bloke still a skinhead as we waited for a bus like they had moved on and he hadn't. I had a bit of a mouth on me so they adopted me as a mascot lol, getting me (a little 11 year old) to hit people they didn't like and so on. They all wore crombies but that was probably a fitting in with school uniform thing. Think they wore a flared stapress in grey with front-opening pockets and many with DMs. Serrated red hankie on a card in the top pocket of the crombie! In hindsight they were quite heavily suedehead still, just with terrible hair, though I never heard that word until years later. The look in the photo above I associate more with blokes in pubs, a slightly older age group.

They look Northern / Midland boot boys . Londoners never wore trousers that wide . 


Edited by flyfronted - 11/9/15 at 1:54pm
post #22292 of 24881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post

M-o-M posted a long time ago the "Smithies" picture. But i don't remember if we already had the text that comes with the photo.




Yes, I think we did have it before. I seem to remember remarking that the journalist had put 'caff' (which is a short way of saying 'café') when I thought it should have been 'gaff' which means someone's house. I think there is one instance in the article where 'gaff' is correct, and one where 'caff' is.

A bit like when that foreign journalist interpreted 'We hate greasers' as an expression of prejudice against Italians.

Has anyone on this thread who comes from London ever heard the police referred to as 'codgers'? Or is this another misinterpretation by the journo?
post #22293 of 24881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


Has anyone on this thread who comes from London ever heard the police referred to as 'codgers'? Or is this another misinterpretation by the journo?

Not heard the police referred to as that  - just old people ie 'some old codger'

post #22294 of 24881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


Yes, I think we did have it before. I seem to remember remarking that the journalist had put 'caff' (which is a short way of saying 'café') when I thought it should have been 'gaff' which means someone's house. I think there is one instance in the article where 'gaff' is correct, and one where 'caff' is.

A bit like when that foreign journalist interpreted 'We hate greasers' as an expression of prejudice against Italians.

Has anyone on this thread who comes from London ever heard the police referred to as 'codgers'? Or is this another misinterpretation by the journo?

maybe the hack  misheard ' Cozzers ' . A term still in use in London in the 80s .

post #22295 of 24881

For the Police we used the term Old Bill amongst ourselves and Coppers to others. Never heard the term Codger applied to The Rozzers or Cozzers.

post #22296 of 24881
Haha...Filth, The Pork, Titheads, Plod. There must be others.
post #22297 of 24881

London Meet-up 26 November - update

 

Hello gents, as you know the Look Goes On posters had a London get together in July and we have put another one in the diary for 26 November.  Last time we met near Liberty but this time the feeling is we should include a visit to John Simons in Chiltern Street.  I had a very quick scout around last Friday for a pub to meet in and suggest we go for the Metropolitan Bar at 12.30 right next to Baker Street station (where I imagine most of us will come into).  It's only a JD Wetherspoon but should be ok as a meeting place.

 

So far I believe the following members are coming:

@Clouseau

@Man-of-Mystery

@Aces and Eights

@browniecj

@covskin

 

I think @skinny legs may also join us.

 

Look forward to it.

post #22298 of 24881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post
 

London Meet-up 26 November - update

 

Hello gents, as you know the Look Goes On posters had a London get together in July and we have put another one in the diary for 26 November.  Last time we met near Liberty but this time the feeling is we should include a visit to John Simons in Chiltern Street.  I had a very quick scout around last Friday for a pub to meet in and suggest we go for the Metropolitan Bar at 12.30 right next to Baker Street station (where I imagine most of us will come into).  It's only a JD Wetherspoon but should be ok as a meeting place.

 

So far I believe the following members are coming:

@Clouseau

@Man-of-Mystery

@Aces and Eights

@browniecj

@covskin

 

I think @skinny legs may also join us.

 

Look forward to it.

I like your Blog.Looks good and numerous pics of Audrey Hepburn.Can't go wrong with Her.

post #22299 of 24881

Does anyone know any decent selvedge denim jeans at a reasonable price? ive been looking at Levi 501 selvedge jeans but the quality of Levis is pretty dire these days, and of course they are cut differently to original Levi's. 

post #22300 of 24881
How about these at £80

http://www.jeanstore.co.uk/levi-501-raw-selvedge-shrinktofit-mens-jeans-long-day.ir

Much better than the usual preshrunk 501 without the wankery of vintage. How it used to be done.

(true size waist, true size+2 leg worked for me)
Edited by covskin - 11/10/15 at 10:44am
post #22301 of 24881

That is the exact same page i was looking at lol.

 

Just heard about these selvedge jeans from uniqlo aswell from this forum, they look quite good in navy, much cheaper aswell.

 

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/146133#thumbnailSelect

post #22302 of 24881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Jacket View Post
 

That is the exact same page i was looking at lol.

 

Just heard about these selvedge jeans from uniqlo aswell from this forum, they look quite good in navy, much cheaper aswell.

 

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/146133#thumbnailSelect


I don't know how easy they are to find but I have a pair of H&M selvedge jeans from the LOGG line at around £50.  Nice heavy denim but slightly suspect cut I think.

post #22303 of 24881
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post
 

I like your Blog.Looks good and numerous pics of Audrey Hepburn.Can't go wrong with Her.


Thanks mate.  I reckon Audrey, apart from being just stunning in my eyes, helped anticipate the Look as we now know it...

post #22304 of 24881


I can recommend these (the uniqlo raw selvedge), good jeans for the money and they last ages...

If your a bit bigger/chubbier go for the regular fit, if on the small skinny side go for the slims, they're similar in cut to '67 505s (although the cut is not quite as good, the denim's sound).

Give em a quick soak before you wear them and they'll last a bit longer. 

 

Hello folks i'm new,  but i've been reading for about a year. Loads of interesting stuff on here, i even like the arguments. I reckon the thread has improved some as it's aged...

post #22305 of 24881

I should've said that the uniqlo selvedge are fairly low waisted...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead