or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1477

post #22141 of 24911

I agree very much with roytonboy.  I too learned or re-learned an incredible amount from all the 'originals' and from some of the younger guys who forced me to review some of my ideas and prejudices.

 

While I haven't walked away I do feel that discussions about life and style from around 1967 - 72 have almost been exhausted.  It does for me raise the issue of whether the thread has indeed run its course.

 

One thing that interests me is how elements of what we have termed 'the Look' continue to influence things today and where the Look might go in the future.  That is the main reason I started the thread called 'The Look Goes On' here on the SW&D SF board.

 

That thread still trundles on but has too perhaps started to come to the end of the road.  It's certainly never been as popular as this one.

 

roytonboy suggests: 'Perhaps there is call for a different site now relating to skinhead styles of all eras? Posters could then swap ideas from different regions and time periods and people might be a more receptive to a bit of 'cross-fertilisation''.  I would certainly be interested in that idea.  roytonboy why not kick one off?

post #22142 of 24911
An important aspect of style are both its influences and its influence so I think there is room for discussion of a 'long tail' outside of 1969-71. We have certainly heard plenty on modernists, 'hard mods' and the like. And personally I do not think skinhead has anything in particular to do with music so I could hear a lot less about ska, northern soul and oi!
post #22143 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


It has not been as easy as I thought it would. I thought I could transcribe stuff from the forum in my spare time, just by cut-and-paste, and it hasn't turned out like that - and at the same time my life got very busy!

There are getting on for 1500 pages now, and the thread seems to grow faster than I can keep up. The material on the thread doesn't fall easily into chunks either; let's say I'm looking for stuff about boots, or crombies, or what girls wore, what I'll actually find is that someone will make a post in which all three are mentioned, along with maybe football violence or something else. Result - I have a chunk of text and don't know where to put it.

Last year I agreed with someone else that we would cut the pages into alternate 50-page chunks and each work at transcription. That person is someone I have a high regard for, but I don't know at the moment whether that arrangement is actually working.

All I have right now is 1) a rough idea of how I hope the book will turn out, and 2) transcribed text, unsorted, up to about page 600.

Okay, I'll spare you all any further excuses and just apologise for the book not having appeared. Yet.




PS. Watch who you're calling 'posh', mate! biggrin.gif


You don't need to apologise MoM, the people knocking you have hardly written their own books nor offered to help you out, and at least you can spell!

post #22144 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
 

It's a free forum and you are welcome.

But you shouldn't mix up questions about clothing with personal preferences. That's not the point. 

You should not associate MA-1 only with NF thugs.

OK you're young, but you're a bit too caricatural. No offence intended. 

And you should take the time to read the 1475 pages. First for your pleasure, as the best is in the 1000 first pages. 

Second because all the questions you ask, or the topics you bring-up, have already been replied before or discussed at length.

 

Yes i am a bit caricatural, i realize that that myself, no offence taken. i don't really associate it with NF thugs only, i wont say anymore about it really, i have probably read about 300 pages of the thread in different parts, its a thread i keep coming back to and finding out about new things, i probably could not go through all 1000 plus pages in one go with my memory and reading skills, i should of paid more attention at school.

 

Thanks for the advice MOM and royton, i think i might go for the first ones i posted first seeing as i like the plain brown color more, the second ones look the like the two pair of solovairs i already have apart from being a different color, so i will probably get them at a later date and the first looking like originals has a large appeal.

post #22145 of 24911
On the Book, I am not sure that transcribing stuff from here is actually very useful. A rough draft that interpreted stuff from here into themes as the thread developed would have been the better way to go I think. Maybe a run through a timeline then a run through a 'placeline' to capture the variation. Would probably be a pretty short book, I think we all have it in our head by now.
post #22146 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Jacket View Post
 

 

Yes i am a bit caricatural, i realize that that myself, no offence taken. i don't really associate it with NF thugs only, i wont say anymore about it really, i have probably read about 300 pages of the thread in different parts, its a thread i keep coming back to and finding out about new things, i probably could not go through all 1000 plus pages in one go with my memory and reading skills, i should of paid more attention at school.

 

Thanks for the advice MOM and royton, i think i might go for the first ones i posted first seeing as i like the plain brown color more, the second ones look the like the two pair of solovairs i already have apart from being a different color, so i will probably get them at a later date and the first looking like originals has a large appeal.

 

The middle  pair that M-o-M posted look very nice - brown with toe caps, though I'm guessing they are quite expensive.

post #22147 of 24911
So the question I have to ask,
The title of this thread is Mod to suedehead,
Does that mean everything that encompasses everything in that title no matter what year etc,or does it mean from 67 - 72 and if so, why not say so in the title,
The bloke who started it, within the 3 comments is talking about Oi! And Punk bands and gigs he has been to etc,
So I suggest he was talking about encompassing the whole genre from every decade,
But he does also suggest he is into the traditional side of things.
I think some people have taken it on board, that the thread is just about 67-72.
And nothing wrong with that, because that is where it all started and without the original period, none of us would be on here.
Personally for me, the stuff I'm most interested in, is what it must of been like to be a Skinhead/Suedehead, say at it's peak in 1970, if you were say 16 - 20 years old at that time, ( no disrespect to people who were younger, but when I was 12/13 years old in 79/80, that was a great time for me, personally and cannot be matched)
But if you were that bit older, you got a job, you got money, you got freedom, you could buy decent gear go to the the pubs and clubs,
I can only imagine what it must have been like, going to clubs like The Twisted Wheel and The Torch when they were known as Mod clubs just before they became big on the Northern scene (I say those 2 clubs only because they were my neck of the woods so to speak)
I imagine there must of been great clubs up and the country, especially in that there London.
I must admit, I do envy those people who were there at that time and in that age group.
post #22148 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post
 

 

The middle  pair that M-o-M posted look very nice - brown with toe caps, though I'm guessing they are quite expensive.

 

I like the look of the uppers but the sole are far too fat/military looking for my taste, called 78TC Traditional Work Boot on the site at 123 quid so a bit pricey but ive paid more for boots in the past.

post #22149 of 24911
Well writing for myself I came to this thread because it has 'Mod' in the title and was originally puzzled as to why it wasn't in the Classic Menswear side as to me Mod clothing means more that way than S and D. Further delving into the thread revealed that it was slanted more towards late sixties and onwards 'hard mod, transition to skins, which personally doesn't interest me that much in terms of style but there are some worthwhile posts, and any reminiscences from original Mods are always welcome as we have a fascination for first hand accounts of what it must have been like then. Anyway, horses for courses. Keep on keepin' on I say.
post #22150 of 24911

Been chatting with folk who make the shoes i posted and they can make alterations to boots before they send, probably gonna have creamy / white color top band and no stitched toe, much like these boots.

post #22151 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by con man View Post






This of me in 1980, Fred Perry, Slazenger and British Army lightweights, nothing Punk there.

Con Man's photo reminds me that I've been looking for a lambswool Slazenger for some time. So I started a separate thread. Contributions welcome:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/510118/slazenger-lambswool-v-neck-jumpers-where-to-get-them

 

Thanks.

post #22152 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post
 

I agree very much with roytonboy.  I too learned or re-learned an incredible amount from all the 'originals' and from some of the younger guys who forced me to review some of my ideas and prejudices.

 

While I haven't walked away I do feel that discussions about life and style from around 1967 - 72 have almost been exhausted.  It does for me raise the issue of whether the thread has indeed run its course.

 

One thing that interests me is how elements of what we have termed 'the Look' continue to influence things today and where the Look might go in the future.  That is the main reason I started the thread called 'The Look Goes On' here on the SW&D SF board.

 

That thread still trundles on but has too perhaps started to come to the end of the road.  It's certainly never been as popular as this one.

 

roytonboy suggests: 'Perhaps there is call for a different site now relating to skinhead styles of all eras? Posters could then swap ideas from different regions and time periods and people might be a more receptive to a bit of 'cross-fertilisation''.  I would certainly be interested in that idea.  roytonboy why not kick one off?

Can you imagine the Boneheads and Nazis talking about 24 hole Docs Tight bleached Gay levis lol 

post #22153 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela Kun View Post

Con Man's photo reminds me that I've been looking for a lambswool Slazenger for some time. So I started a separate thread. Contributions welcome:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/510118/slazenger-lambswool-v-neck-jumpers-where-to-get-them

Thanks.

Looks better on Sean Connery, it has to be said haha!!!
post #22154 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by con man View Post

So the question I have to ask,
The title of this thread is Mod to suedehead,
Does that mean everything that encompasses everything in that title no matter what year etc,or does it mean from 67 - 72 and if so, why not say so in the title,
I think some people have taken it on board, that the thread is just about 67-72.
 

That's certainly my take on it Con man,and the reason i followed this particular Forum.Although there are some very good and interesting contributions from younger folk,I tend to skip over quite a bit.Even to the point of posts from members in the US and Australia as I believe it to be a different scene to what I had grown up with.

I was 13-14 in 1970 so I would imagine was similar in many ways to someone of that age in any generation that followed.The difference I suppose was that everything was new to me and was fresh.Choices were more limited than today (and every subsequent generation) so in many ways I suppose that added to the anticipation of what was primarily a Fashion...

It has since developed into a lifestyle for a few,and that will take another tangent and open to many arguments.Probably the fact that it was the first style that I had chosen was the reason it has remained of interest,even though I choose not to wear most of it today.It has too many limitations in many ways for me personally.I think that's why it's always been under the umbrella of "Youth Culture" and at 58 I do not think I could carry it off,even if I wanted to.

Being arrogant and opinionated for talking a viewpoint that to anyone younger may seem unreasonable is based solely on my perception of this thread indeed being from 67-72 and i have an opinion and experience of.


Edited by Gsvs5 - 10/16/15 at 9:28am
post #22155 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


I have one, for winter use. Mrs Mystery and Miss Mystery call it my 'thug jacket'. biggrin.gif
 

Then again, the crombie might be dubbed a 'thug coat', seeing as KGB officers and city bankers were fond of them ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead