or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 124

post #1846 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post
It would be a Jaytex or Brutus, its the stupid V on the sleeves with the buttons each side thats the giveaway.

yea that would be my guess too. Did you and your mates not wear them then?
post #1847 of 18951
Amazing pics, Bunty!

This is the reason I keep coming back to lurk this thread. Keep 'em coming.
post #1848 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
yea that would be my guess too. Did you and your mates not wear them then?

Some did J Mostly the little Skinheads, because they was cheap, I even stopped wearing Ben Shermans, Only would wear American imports,
post #1849 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post
Some did J Mostly the little Skinheads, because they was cheap, I even stopped wearing Ben Shermans, Only would wear American imports,
Hi Lasttye, this is interesting, did you migrate to the American shirts because they were difficult to get (not a copy of the American ones etc.)? I imagine that having a difficult to obtain shirt also promoted a sort of one-upmanship. Also, what make shirts did you hunt down back then, -Brooks? And what patterns (check, window, candy)?

Side note: In the 80's in Cali we had the same sort of thing, but at that time it was Shermans & FP's as you had to travel all over the place, sometimes hours away to find those. I had some brooks ginghams to fill the holes in my wardrobe though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero84 View Post
Amazing pics, Bunty! This is the reason I keep coming back to lurk this thread. Keep 'em coming.
Yup
post #1850 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Seanery View Post
Side note: In the 80’s in Cali we had the same sort of thing, but at that time it was Shermans & FP’s as you had to travel all over the place, sometimes hours away to find those.
aint that the truth. we found a big stash of deadstock older FP polos down in Newport Beach, around 1988 or so. Old man tennis shop, had a pile of polos in plastic bags...they were mostly too large but we bought them anyways and tried to shrink as much as possible in hot wash/dry!! I remember TJ Maxx had them for a while around same time, but all solid, no contrast piping...still bought em tho
post #1851 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlondongent View Post
Nice pics Bunty, particularly the last one with the green/grey (?) whistle!

What trainers/plimsolls are those in the 2nd pic?

Glad you all liked the photos, thank you for your interest.

Gent, there are two types of trainers/plimsolls in the photo isn't there ?, at a guess I reckon on them being Dunlops and Woolies specials. I know Gola and Adidas were around then, but I can't see any logos on these ones...Have you ever heard of trainers being worn late 60's? Probably one of those weird local things again!

Harry Fenton shirts....I mentioned them and got - 'Bloody things, you couldn't iron them, they always looked creased up.'

On the subject of shirts....He bought a great lairy window pane shirt and wore it to the Tottenham Royal that night. Inside it seemed like every bugger in there had the same one on. said he hid in a corner all night
post #1852 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
On the subject of shirts....He bought a great lairy window pane shirt and wore it to the Tottenham Royal that night. Inside it seemed like every bugger in there had the same one on. said he hid in a corner all night


I went to a New Years eve NUTS soul nite in London and it seemed that every 3rd guy was wearing the same red/green Brutus tartan check shirt when they relaunched the brand a couple years back.
post #1853 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
Glad you all liked the photos, thank you for your interest.

Gent, there are two types of trainers/plimsolls in the photo isn't there ?, at a guess I reckon on them being Dunlops and Woolies specials. I know Gola and Adidas were around then, but I can't see any logos on these ones...Have you ever heard of trainers being worn late 60's? Probably one of those weird local things again!
:

I like 'em they're plain & simple. I rarely wear trainers - only really in the summer.. usually ltd reissue Adidas Gazelles in red or sky blue soft suede.

Trainers were certainly worn in the 60s by Mods and maybe this carried over into Skin? There are plenty of photo's of Mods with plain white plimsoll/trainers on bank holidays in the early/mid 60s. Adidas would have been popular from about the mid 60s - 66 World Cup influence perhaps? - Italia and Roms being the favourites. Though this wasn't restricted to Mods - for instance there are photos of bands such as Traffic, Peter Green in the Bluesbreakers and Lennon around early 67 wearing Adidas.

Suede Adidas Gazelles were introduced in 67/68. The character Spike in the film 'Here we go round the Mulberry Bush' wears a sky blue pair. Black Adidas Sambas seem to be the favoured trainers with latter-day Skins.

Also plain white Spring Courts. Again Lennon used to wear them but also there are photos of Steve Marriott wearing them circa 66. The trainers in your photo look a bit like Spring Courts.

I dunno about Gola. Certainly the 'classic' Gola trainer was introduced in 68. However feelings are decidedly amibivalent towards Gola nowdays with Mods anyway.

Finally in Jim Ferguson's fashion notebook (which admittedly is London-centric) he mentions the skinheads immediate predecessor (presumably the 'Hard Mod') as wearing surfer jackets, Levis and Adidas trainers.
post #1854 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlondongent View Post
Trainers were certainly worn in the 60s by Mods and maybe this carried over into Skin?

Blackpool mods in 67 68 sometimes wore plain white trainers in summer. I stress sometimes. SE London totters/skins never did, as far as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlondongent View Post
Finally in Jim Ferguson's fashion notebook (which admittedly is London-centric) he mentions the skinheads immediate predecessor (presumably the 'Hard Mod') as wearing surfer jackets, Levis and Adidas trainers.

Hmmm... certainly the Levis and the surfer jackets... I guess it depends where he is talking about.
post #1855 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlondongent View Post
I like 'em they're plain & simple. I rarely wear trainers - only really in the summer.. usually ltd reissue Adidas Gazelles in red or sky blue soft suede.

Trainers were certainly worn in the 60s by Mods and maybe this carried over into Skin? There are plenty of photo's of Mods with plain white plimsoll/trainers on bank holidays in the early/mid 60s. Adidas would have been popular from about the mid 60s - 66 World Cup influence perhaps? - Italia and Roms being the favourites. Though this wasn't restricted to Mods - for instance there are photos of bands such as Traffic, Peter Green in the Bluesbreakers and Lennon around early 67 wearing Adidas.

Suede Adidas Gazelles were introduced in 67/68. The character Spike in the film 'Here we go round the Mulberry Bush' wears a sky blue pair. Black Adidas Sambas seem to be the favoured trainers with latter-day Skins.

Also plain white Spring Courts. Again Lennon used to wear them but also there are photos of Steve Marriott wearing them circa 66. The trainers in your photo look a bit like Spring Courts.

I dunno about Gola. Certainly the 'classic' Gola trainer was introduced in 68. However feelings are decidedly amibivalent towards Gola nowdays with Mods anyway.

Finally in Jim Ferguson's fashion notebook (which admittedly is London-centric) he mentions the skinheads immediate predecessor (presumably the 'Hard Mod') as wearing surfer jackets, Levis and Adidas trainers.

Gent, I bow down to your superior knowledge - when I asked what trainers they were wearing in the photos I was told 'dunno, from Woolworths, where we used to get Fred Perrys (!) from too' didn't know Woolies stocked 'brands' in those days? Could this be right?
I've looked at Spring Courts, never heard of them before - I reckon you are spot on. They look 'mod' like the others you have named, if you get me.
As you say, 66 world cup was probably an influence, also a few of the chaps were in the local athletics club (really) so maybe that seeped through?
That was great information chaps, thanks. Below are Spring Courts and some long haired geezer and his bird wearing them.
LL
LL
post #1856 of 18951
More photos -



Butlins Skegness August '67 (Levis jacket collar bleached!)



Cheshunt August '67



July '68




Butlins Filey '68




London August '69



Butlins Skegness August '69



Margate July '70


Still got loads more...tell me when you're fed up of 'em.....
post #1857 of 18951
I'm sure no one here will get fed up with them. They are fascinating pics. Keep them coming
post #1858 of 18951
Wow bunty, excellent pics. Please keep them coming!
I really like what you point out about the 1st pic. A bleached collar for a levi's jacket. I never thought of that and that would look pretty sweet
post #1859 of 18951
I have a few questions for you originals:

Did Original skinheads wear Harrington jackets with jeans? How about with Crombie style coats or with sheep skin? Just thought I ask because I don't think I've seen a pic/video that shows this.
post #1860 of 18951
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHT View Post
I have a few questions for you originals:

Did Original skinheads wear Harrington jackets with jeans? How about with Crombie style coats or with sheep skin? Just thought I ask because I don't think I've seen a pic/video that shows this.

Yes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead