or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1230

post #18436 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermott View Post
 

Found a bloke on facebook by absolute chance, thought he was someone else, we have a mutal friend in common but when I clicked on his profile was suprised to see a load of really good photos from 68-70. Ive invited him on here to maybe talk about them or share his experience of the era but we'll see. Big Thanks to him for emailing these to me and letting me share them - I think weve had one or two before but I certainly havent seen them all. 

 

 

 

Great find McDermott.  This particular photo is typical of what we looked like in 69/70

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #18437 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

Interesting for the insight to Ian Levine,apart from that all was pretty much a rehash of previous material it seemed.Was that Long John Baldry outside the Wheel BTW ?
Agree with Levines comments regarding the scene and how it should continue with sharp, young blood and not old farts like myself.

Some interesting Comments on the Programme.Good to see Richard Searling,Colin Curtis and Ian Dewhirst talking sense.The others came over reasonable well.Norman Jay is a great Dj but stretches the point sometimes.Ian Levine was just being himself.Has been pointed out before,why stop at Wigan?There were othere great Venues about(and why not talk about Va Vas in Bolton or the Catacombes,Wolverhampton).I wanted to see more of the 80s Venues(I started going to Northern Allnighters in `85).They totally missed Roger Eagle,ok he hated the uptempo,drug fuelled Dancers and Records,but he put the Twisted Wheel on the Map.As usual the B.B.C. only covers a small section of the story.smile.gif
post #18438 of 18817

Hi, thanks for allowing me to join. The name’s Chris (aka Soulcharger) born in 1952 in West London and moved to Surrey in the mid sixties. Surrey at that time wasn’t the wealthy stockbroker belt it is today, large council estates were being built for Londoners moving out were in most towns. Those estates tended to throw up the youth that were fashion conscious and hung out together. BTW I now live in Belgium since 1979.

 

The black and white photos you see with just the 1 girl were taken in the winter of 1969 on a Saturday morning (on our way for a fight!). The camera belonged to the girl in the picture, she took them and they remained in a box in her garage until about 3 weeks ago.

 

We were wearing mostly Levi Sta-prest, Levi jeans or jungle greens, Ben Shermans, Doc Martins or Squires brogue or plain caps. Crombies, blazers and in my case a bright red Harrington with white Sta-prest. In the photo with the girl I’m the one on the right wearing the Harrington.

 

From about 1967 to 1969 we were mostly, soul, ska and rocksteady fans. We went to the Croydon Top Rank, Tottenham Royal, Purley Orchid plus a few clubs in central London, including the very frightening Jamaican run Alphabet club. Also some Surrey clubs, probably best being the Woking Atalanta and Bagshot’s Pantiles, the latter only closing down on some 7 years ago.

Our clothes came from a handful of shops, Quincy’s & the Ivy shop in Richmond, Squires with suits, jackets, blazers and Crombies from the Waterloo Cut.

 

By 1969 we were very much into soul, by 1971 we’d discovered Record Corner in Balham were you could get US & Jamaican imports new and old. We all bought Blues & Soul magazine. We’d pester the guys there for oldies anything like that sounded like Motown. On the advice of Tony Rounce who worked there we went up North and discovered Northern Soul but only 4/5 of used to go. Six weeks later Dave Godin’s ground breaking article came out in B & S when the world found out the Northern soul scene, but that’s another story.

 

Most had Lambrettas I waited that extra year to get a car (far safer to make out with a girl in a car than wobbling about on a scooter seat;-)

 

Looking at the previous thread I see Ian Levine’s name mentioned, I met Ian in 1971 became very close (in so much as you can with him) and in 1973 I drifted away only to be found by him in 1998, we’ve been pretty close ever since and I came across for his birthday party last month.

 

Well that’s about it, I’ll try and post and/or answer any questions, we always thought at the time that it was a special one, it seems to have endured longer than anyone could believe.

Bizarrely I joined an American company in 1991 and worked in the US. Almost all the blokes in the office wore button down collar shirts, trousers that could have easily passed for Sta-prest, brogues, plain caps or loafers

 

Chris

post #18439 of 18817
McDermott,all those Photos are brilliant.I hope the Guy does come on-interesting to get to to know about him.

He even had a patterned Shirt like mine(the Blue One).Bloody Cheek......biggrin.gif
post #18440 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcharger View Post

Hi, thanks for allowing me to join. The name’s Chris (aka Soulcharger) born in 1952 in West London and moved to Surrey in the mid sixties. Surrey at that time wasn’t the wealthy stockbroker belt it is today, large council estates were being built for Londoners moving out were in most towns. Those estates tended to throw up the youth that were fashion conscious and hung out together. BTW I now live in Belgium since 1979.

The black and white photos you see with just the 1 girl were taken in the winter of 1969 on a Saturday morning (on our way for a fight!). The camera belonged to the girl in the picture, she took them and they remained in a box in her garage until about 3 weeks ago.

We were wearing mostly Levi Sta-prest, Levi jeans or jungle greens, Ben Shermans, Doc Martins or Squires brogue or plain caps. Crombies, blazers and in my case a bright red Harrington with white Sta-prest. In the photo with the girl I’m the one on the right wearing the Harrington.

From about 1967 to 1969 we were mostly, soul, ska and rocksteady fans. We went to the Croydon Top Rank, Tottenham Royal, Purley Orchid plus a few clubs in central London, including the very frightening Jamaican run Alphabet club. Also some Surrey clubs, probably best being the Woking Atalanta and Bagshot’s Pantiles, the latter only closing down on some 7 years ago.
Our clothes came from a handful of shops, Quincy’s & the Ivy shop in Richmond, Squires with suits, jackets, blazers and Crombies from the Waterloo Cut.

By 1969 we were very much into soul, by 1971 we’d discovered Record Corner in Balham were you could get US & Jamaican imports new and old. We all bought Blues & Soul magazine. We’d pester the guys there for oldies anything like that sounded like Motown. On the advice of Tony Rounce who worked there we went up North and discovered Northern Soul but only 4/5 of used to go. Six weeks later Dave Godin’s ground breaking article came out in B & S when the world found out the Northern soul scene, but that’s another story.

Most had Lambrettas I waited that extra year to get a car (far safer to make out with a girl in a car than wobbling about on a scooter seat;-)

Looking at the previous thread I see Ian Levine’s name mentioned, I met Ian in 1971 became very close (in so much as you can with him) and in 1973 I drifted away only to be found by him in 1998, we’ve been pretty close ever since and I came across for his birthday party last month.

Well that’s about it, I’ll try and post and/or answer any questions, we always thought at the time that it was a special one, it seems to have endured longer than anyone could believe.
Bizarrely I joined an American company in 1991 and worked in the US. Almost all the blokes in the office wore button down collar shirts, trousers that could have easily passed for Sta-prest, brogues, plain caps or loafers

Chris

Welcome to the Forum,Chris.Good to have you here.Interesting story about the Photos..:)Which part of Surrey were you living ????
post #18441 of 18817
Are you, Soulcharger,the Chris L on Soul Source ???
post #18442 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

McDermott,all those Photos are brilliant.I hope the Guy does come on-interesting to get to to know about him.

He even had a patterned Shirt like mine(the Blue One).Bloody Cheek......biggrin.gif

Yeah ,you and the rest of the country! This was when things were changing and some of the more questionable shirts were getting worn,late '71-72 if I recall.I had a brown one similar,but am glad to forget about it.

Welcome to the Forum Chris and look forward to hearing more of your memories.That mother load of photos came along as a much needed boost IMO and cover quite a few years.

 

BTW That Deco house in the back is a rare beauty;)

post #18443 of 18817

:)marked as Manchester '74

 

AppleMark

post #18444 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


Welcome to the Forum,Chris.Good to have you here.Interesting story about the Photos..:)Which part of Surrey were you living ????

 

Hi, well we lived in Walton, Hersham, Moseley, Shepperton, Addlestone, New Haw, Woking, all in that area.

post #18445 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post
 

Yeah ,you and the rest of the country! This was when things were changing and some of the more questionable shirts were getting worn,late '71-72 if I recall.I had a brown one similar,but am glad to forget about it. Welcome to the Forum Chris and look forward to hearing more of your memories.That mother load of photos came along as a much needed boost IMO and cover quite a few years.

 

BTW That Deco house in the back is a rare beauty;)

The checked shirts came from the Ivy shop, it was 1971, I could drive from December 1970 on wards these taken in September 1971. BTW that art deco hous is still there, it's now a doctors surgery. :D

post #18446 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

McDermott,all those Photos are brilliant.I hope the Guy does come on-interesting to get to to know about him. He even had a patterned Shirt like mine(the Blue One).Bloody Cheek......biggrin.gif

I have some photos of a couple of girls wearing all the gear must see if I can find them.

post #18447 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcharger View Post


... Croydon Top Rank, Tottenham Royal, Purley Orchid ...

We might have walked right past each other at the Top Rank or the Orchid, though I didn't get to either more than a couple of times!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcharger View Post


...the Ivy shop in Richmond...

Shopped there once of twice - I seem to remember my g/f of the time fancied a walk round Richmond Park.

Welcome Chis.
post #18448 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcharger View Post


I have some photos of a couple of girls wearing all the gear must see if I can find them.

Yes please!
post #18449 of 18817
Great pics, fellas.

Loved the description of ...'we were going for a fight' - priceless. biggrin.gif

What is even more interesting and entertaining of course, was that it happened - up here, too - in the day when no one had mobiles, yet, punch-ups would be organised and a failure to attend would lead to a severe loss of face - if not literally then definitely metaphorically. satisfied.gif

Brilliant stuff.smile.gif
post #18450 of 18817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcharger View Post

Hi, well we lived in Walton, Hersham, Moseley, Shepperton, Addlestone, New Haw, Woking, all in that area.


I thought I recognised the Area.Some were old adversaries to us-at some point-,in the 60s(I lived in Guildford) and I can remember some of the rows we had.then....smile.gif.


You mentioned the Alphabet Club(I remembered somebody saying about that Club in Soul Source-Chris L).I read about the visits and agreed with what had been put.By `70 the Jamaican Clubs were becoming less welcoming.I stopped going to them in `69 because of this.I never went to the Que Club in Paddington nor the Four Aces in Dalston because they both had a very bad reputation.


Purley Orchid and The Cats Whiskers,Streatham-plus The Hammersmith Palais.


Interesting to see the Girls wearing the Gear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead