or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1212

post #18166 of 18769
It's June - time for raincoats!

post #18167 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

It's June - time for raincoats!


Brings to mind the saying "Pack for an English summer".

post #18168 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

It's June - time for raincoats!


Great Photo.smile.gif
post #18169 of 18769

What are you actually meant to be ?? You look like a 'gimp' and would have been beaten up by real mods in the 60's looking like that.

post #18170 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar View Post

What are you actually meant to be ?? You look like a 'gimp' and would have been beaten up by real mods in the 60's looking like that.


Whom are you addressing?
post #18171 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

Whom are you addressing?
I wondered that.

That said, I like this look, too.

smart_zps0d1be4d3.jpg
post #18172 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

I wondered that.

That said, I like this look, too.



Haha. Yeah that's a sharp look! Great pic, Ed.
post #18173 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post


Haha. Yeah that's a sharp look! Great pic, Ed.

Lol, agreed looking very spruce indeed! 

post #18174 of 18769
Yesterday I caught a few minutes of 'Island in the Sun' on TCM. It happened to be a scene where Harry Belafonte was at a smart party. He was wearing a suit and blimey did he look sharp! I can't find a still of the scene, but here he is with MLK. Where would the 60s suit in the UK be without black America's influence on Jamaicans, and their influence on it?

post #18175 of 18769
Great photo indeed, Ed. Perfect illustration of the "proper" raincoat. Still looking for that elusive combination of length (below the knee), colour (off-white/ stone) and flyfront. Very hard to find, i.e. no luck so far.

Any more info on date? Couldn't make out headline on Evening Standard!
post #18176 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post

Great photo indeed, Ed. Perfect illustration of the "proper" raincoat. Still looking for that elusive combination of length (below the knee), colour (off-white/ stone) and flyfront. Very hard to find, i.e. no luck so far.

Any more info on date? Couldn't make out headline on Evening Standard!
They are hard to find so I've decided to opt for the JS Grenfell one.

Looked up the history of Grenfell; and they are now owned by MacKintosh of Cumbernauld but... their range doesn't include the John Simons version. dozingoff.gif

As for the pic, I find stuff surfing while half-cut but, I vaguely remember it's 1968. Seems about right to me. satisfied.gif
post #18177 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar View Post

What are you actually meant to be ?? You look like a 'gimp' and would have been beaten up by real mods in the 60's looking like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Great Photo.smile.gif


I think you will find,the Gentleman in the forefront(holding the Newspaper) has been the Ring or maybe Armed Forces.No walkover there.
post #18178 of 18769
They are looking for Accommodation-used to get the Ads in the Pages they are looking.smile.gif
post #18179 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

They are looking for Accommodation-used to get the Ads in the Pages they are looking.smile.gif

Those were the days, all done on the smallest mobile now! My Dad refused to have a phone in the house up until 1982/83 I resented it big time as had to give out the nearest call box as 'my number' to the girlies! Even that call box ain't there anymore!!!

My kids can't get their heads around it all, I now feel like my Dad. Nothing wrong in that though.

Sorry, don't know where all that came from. Especially as I am sending this on the QT at work via a lap top hooked up to free wifi. Doh!


PS Few of us going to go to the Staffordshire War Memorial later to raise a glass to those brave souls on this the 70th anniversary of the D - Day landings. We went to Normandy on holiday three years back and spent a couple of days on the Beaches at the Museums etc


Awe inspiring indeed, now that kind of bravery I can't get my head around.

To them cheers.gif
post #18180 of 18769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Those were the days, all done on the smallest mobile now! My Dad refused to have a phone in the house up until 1982/83 I resented it big time as had to give out the nearest call box as 'my number' to the girlies! Even that call box ain't there anymore!!!

biggrin.gif


PS Few of us going to go to the Staffordshire War Memorial later to raise a glass to those brave souls on this the 70th anniversary of the D - Day landings. We went to Normandy on holiday three years back and spent a couple of days on the Beaches at the Museums etc


Awe inspiring indeed, now that kind of bravery I can't get my head around.

To them cheers.gif
Off today, so I've been looking on the web if Manchester was doing anything official for the D-Day Memorial... can't find anything.

My old man - and his three brothers - were all Royal Scots and were serving in N. Africa, so no Normandy connection for me.

Most of those there were little more than kids... how scared must they have been?

Today's generation gets slated - from all quarters but, if the chips were down, I reckon they'd put on a good show against anyone.

I can't say 'enjoy yourself' at the Staffs Memorial, that would be wrong, but soak it up and shake hands with some of those who served, for me, we owe them all a huge debt.

Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead