To be fair he was traditionally known for wearing a classic navy blue suit or a pinstriped suit.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:09 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 1165post #17461 of 234403/27/14 at 10:02ampost #17462 of 234403/27/14 at 11:53ampost #17463 of 234403/27/14 at 3:48pmpost #17464 of 234403/28/14 at 12:12amQuote:
I bought xxl and was pleasantly surprised that they were a generous cut. No rear pleat but I was not looking to replicate a Ben Sherman - these are ok and for £13 they are good value.post #17465 of 234403/28/14 at 5:13ampost #17466 of 234403/28/14 at 11:19ampost #17467 of 234403/28/14 at 5:03pmpost #17468 of 234403/29/14 at 12:54amQuote:Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
The pic below is of a young man called Julian Bond. It dates from 1963, and comes from this post at garmsville.com. Worth a read, it's about the semiotics (verbal, visual, cultural 'codes') of Ivy League, and relevant to this thread in its conclusions.
'' The American 'Ivy League' style of dress fascinates.............. It was the style of dress which kick started Skinhead in London.''
Hmmm - I've got some reservations about this statement......post #17469 of 234403/29/14 at 1:03ampost #17470 of 234403/29/14 at 1:58amQuote:
roytonboy.A lot has been said on this thread about the Ivy league influence on style here in Britain,astronauts and Motown artists have been mentioned too along with films and tv programmes so there was an influence from America at the time.
Vietnam was on the news all the time and it wasn't just the military that were on tv,White house spokesmen in suits and BDs,and it wasn't just the Astronauts in the space programme footage but the blokes in Mission control,my point is we were seeing a lot of Americans on tv and films and I definitely think that did have some influence .post #17471 of 234403/29/14 at 8:01ampost #17472 of 234403/29/14 at 12:10pmpost #17473 of 234403/29/14 at 12:32pmpost #17474 of 234403/29/14 at 1:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan
Apologies if this website has been mentioned before:
And, if any of you guys have used them - for anything - what do you reckon?
The Tab-collar shirts look very nice. The 3-ply mohair suit with waistcoat in antique-gold looks lovely. There site does say their suits fit those that are slim or toned. It doesn't say anything about well-built (but not fat) short-arses, like myself.
As seeing as their shop is in the Grove area of W.London, I'll pop in there during the next month or so and see what the quality and sizing is like.
I'm in the Ladbroke Grove area quite often and haven't noticed the shop. Then again, it's mostly in the after-hours, and I'm more often than not 'slow-blink' drunk.post #17475 of 234403/29/14 at 10:58pmQuote:
Firstly, I think he was using that statement to startle his readers and to reinforce his point about Ivy League clothing items having different significances in different places at different times.
Secondly, the vast majority of us didn't even know our clothes were Ivy-League-influenced. They were just items of fashion.
The guys in the famous Piccadilly Circus photo - let's be fair - were in the minimal skinhead gear. But hey! aren't those American-style button-down Oxford shirts? I'll bet the guy's point would seem to have more relevance if you could see the same blokes dressed up for an evening out.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 17 seconds ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 24 seconds ago
- › TEMPLE OF JAWNZ Calf A2 Bomber sz M 43 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › OLIVER SPENCER Fisher Jacket sz. 42 3 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 4 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 4 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 4 minutes ago
- › BUZZ RICKSON Loopwheeled Grey Sweatshirt sz L 4 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts