or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1149

post #17221 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig matthew View Post

Having tried on my Levi 1966 501 jeans I got from American classics I noticed the left leg has a twist in it Phoned them up and they say this is normal for a selvage denim and won't refund my money because they say it's not a fault as such Has anyone else noticed this with selvage denims or are they just pulling my leg

Hi Craig. I just had a look at my selvages and i noticed no "twist in". But they are not 501. (Lee Riders and Uniqlo)

I was in London last week for a few days and i was staying at Covent Garden (apparently a lot of people of the thread was around there last week, but it's not me you saw Mr Knightley, cos i came back to Paris on friday, and because i look good:D or at least proper.)

Just to say that i went to American Classics, because it had been mentioned before on the forum. I must say i was not impressed by the (small) shop. Mostly LVC, Redwing, Lees. Nothing original and bloody expensive. I can find the same stuff here for less money. I went to TK Maxx, but i didn't find anything of interest.

Anyway, speaking of youth fashion in London, i must say it's quite...  a mess. A lot of proto-hipster with beard, moustache, dirty jeans (maybe it was the area though. But some nice looking girls). It's true you can see a lot of skinhead clobber (mostly DMs and FP though), but worn with no style and not in the proper "neat" way.

 

I finally crossed the way of a teenager who was spot on. Suedehead haircut, blue Mac, BD, Smooths 1461, off-white sta-prest. We looked at each other, because i was more or less in the same attire. But i'm more than twice his age...


Edited by Clouseau - 3/6/14 at 11:14am
post #17222 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post
 

Brian Auger Talks about Early days at Ronnie Scott's,the Flamingo and the Marque.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2qldXKZaak

My late father used to bounce at the Marquee in Wardour St. He also used to do security at the Reading Festival when the Marquee still ran it.(Him and his mates would drive round the corrugated perimeter fence in a fleet of Mini Mokes and clatter anyone trying to bunk over the fence.) I went with him a few times as a kid. Bloody hated it. Frigging patchouli-smelling hippies everywhere. My dad absolutely despised the back-stage liggers and hangers-on. The back-stage compound had a pub-tent called the Queens Head. I should of been impressed with all the famous musicians I saw, but I was a kid, and they were strange smelling scruff-bags, and I just wanted to go home. The place looked like The Somme (It always rained), stank like stale beer, poop and dope. No place for a natty 11 year old in loafers and Sta-Prest. 1978 was interesting though, they had Punk and New Wave bands for a change. That year, they'd plastered big Tom Robinson Band posters on the bonnets of the Mokes. (The one with the clenched-fist logo.) Me and dad were tear-arsing around in the Moke backstage. A bloke saw the Moke and held up his arm with his fist clenched in the air and shouted, "Tom Robinson, Right On !"

My dad shouted back, "Nah, he's a fucking poofter !"

I then had to explain, "Dad, that was Tom Robinson." He knew.

In September '83 The Truth were playing at the Marquee and my dad got me and my mate in for free. We got to meet and chat with the band before the gig, and they gave us a load of t-shirts, posters and stuff. Pretty cool. I kind of soured things a bit by telling them I still preferred Nine Below Zero.

We used to still get free Reading tickets from the Marquee group when they still ran the festival, long after me old man stopped working for them. Harry Pendleton came to his funeral as well.

Well, I think that's my name-dropping quota used up for the year.

post #17223 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig matthew View Post

Having tried on my Levi 1966 501 jeans I got from American classics I noticed the left leg has a twist in it Phoned them up and they say this is normal for a selvage denim and won't refund my money because they say it's not a fault as such Has anyone else noticed this with selvage denims or are they just pulling my leg


I've got the same ones, and they've got the same "unique" twist in the left outer seam/selvedge.
It looks a bit "off" if you happen to iron a crease, but other than that it doesn't seem to be a big deal.
post #17224 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

My late father used to bounce at the Marquee in Wardour St. He also used to do security at the Reading Festival when the Marquee still ran it.(Him and his mates would drive round the corrugated perimeter fence in a fleet of Mini Mokes and clatter anyone trying to bunk over the fence.) I went with him a few times as a kid. Bloody hated it. Frigging patchouli-smelling hippies everywhere. My dad absolutely despised the back-stage liggers and hangers-on. The back-stage compound had a pub-tent called the Queens Head. I should of been impressed with all the famous musicians I saw, but I was a kid, and they were strange smelling scruff-bags, and I just wanted to go home. The place looked like The Somme (It always rained), stank like stale beer, poop and dope. No place for a natty 11 year old in loafers and Sta-Prest. 1978 was interesting though, they had Punk and New Wave bands for a change. That year, they'd plastered big Tom Robinson Band posters on the bonnets of the Mokes. (The one with the clenched-fist logo.) Me and dad were tear-arsing around in the Moke backstage. A bloke saw the Moke and held up his arm with his fist clenched in the air and shouted, "Tom Robinson, Right On !"
My dad shouted back, "Nah, he's a fucking poofter !"
I then had to explain, "Dad, that was Tom Robinson." He knew.
In September '83 The Truth were playing at the Marquee and my dad got me and my mate in for free. We got to meet and chat with the band before the gig, and they gave us a load of t-shirts, posters and stuff. Pretty cool. I kind of soured things a bit by telling them I still preferred Nine Below Zero.
We used to still get free Reading tickets from the Marquee group when they still ran the festival, long after me old man stopped working for them. Harry Pendleton came to his funeral as well.
Well, I think that's my name-dropping quota used up for the year.


Name dropping or not Inks, that's a great anecdote. I was around lots of outdoor gigs as a kid; my Dad played/plays and he and all his friends were rockers. Your anecdotes actually take me back to the sights, sounds, and smells of open-air giggery. Funny times.
post #17225 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig matthew View Post

Having tried on my Levi 1966 501 jeans I got from American classics I noticed the left leg has a twist in it Phoned them up and they say this is normal for a selvage denim and won't refund my money because they say it's not a fault as such Has anyone else noticed this with selvage denims or are they just pulling my leg

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/33596-levis-501-a-visual-guide/

Welcome Craig
The link above will educate you and anyone else interested.The guy who wrote it seems to know more about Levi's than LS&co.
If you care about the details,then leg twist can be a crucial/desire able requisite.
Hello to Cleav also.I have enjoyed crashtestbrummie comments also in my footwear fettish !
post #17226 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post

Hi Craig. I just had a look at my selvages and i noticed no "twist in". But they are not 501. (Lee Riders and Uniqlo)
I was in London last week for a few days and i was staying at Covent Garden (apparently a lot of people of the thread was around there last week, but it's not me you saw Mr Knightley, cos i came back to Paris on friday, and because i look good:D  or at least proper.)
Just to say that i went to American Classics, because it had been mentioned before on the forum. I must say i was not impressed by the (small) shop. Mostly LVC, Redwing, Lees. Nothing original and bloody expensive. I can find the same stuff here for less money. I went to TK Maxx, but i didn't find anything of interest.
Anyway, speaking of youth fashion in London, i must say it's quite...  a mess. A lot of proto-hipster with beard, moustache, dirty jeans (maybe it was the area though. But some nice looking girls). It's true you can see a lot of skinhead clobber (mostly DMs and FP though), but worn with no style and not in the proper "neat" way.

I finally crossed the way of a teenager who was spot on. Suedehead haircut, blue Mac, BD, Smooths 1461, off-white sta-prest. We looked at each other, because i was more or less in the same attire. But i'm more than twice his age...

I also went into American Classics for the first time for many years and was equally disappointed.

Yes London street style is a mess - with some exceptions of course!

I suppose today Covent Gdn has lost its former edge. In the mid 80s the little streets round and about were full of great design.

BTW I too yesterday would have fallen short of this thread's high standards in my rather staid business attire!
post #17227 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post
 

My late father used to bounce at the Marquee in Wardour St. He also used to do security at the Reading Festival when the Marquee still ran it.(Him and his mates would drive round the corrugated perimeter fence in a fleet of Mini Mokes and clatter anyone trying to bunk over the fence.) I went with him a few times as a kid. Bloody hated it. Frigging patchouli-smelling hippies everywhere. My dad absolutely despised the back-stage liggers and hangers-on. The back-stage compound had a pub-tent called the Queens Head. I should of been impressed with all the famous musicians I saw, but I was a kid, and they were strange smelling scruff-bags, and I just wanted to go home. The place looked like The Somme (It always rained), stank like stale beer, poop and dope. No place for a natty 11 year old in loafers and Sta-Prest. 1978 was interesting though, they had Punk and New Wave bands for a change. That year, they'd plastered big Tom Robinson Band posters on the bonnets of the Mokes. (The one with the clenched-fist logo.) Me and dad were tear-arsing around in the Moke backstage. A bloke saw the Moke and held up his arm with his fist clenched in the air and shouted, "Tom Robinson, Right On !"

My dad shouted back, "Nah, he's a fucking poofter !"

I then had to explain, "Dad, that was Tom Robinson." He knew.

In September '83 The Truth were playing at the Marquee and my dad got me and my mate in for free. We got to meet and chat with the band before the gig, and they gave us a load of t-shirts, posters and stuff. Pretty cool. I kind of soured things a bit by telling them I still preferred Nine Below Zero.

We used to still get free Reading tickets from the Marquee group when they still ran the festival, long after me old man stopped working for them. Harry Pendleton came to his funeral as well.

Well, I think that's my name-dropping quota used up for the year.

Love It.

post #17228 of 19286
http://pbsfm.org.au/taxonomy/term/164/2014-02-20

This may resonate with you inks.
Your Dad wasn't a little Scottish guy was he?
I used to frequent the marquee and the st moritz in those days.
post #17229 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

http://pbsfm.org.au/taxonomy/term/164/2014-02-20

This may resonate with you inks.
Your Dad wasn't a little Scottish guy was he?
I used to frequent the marquee and the st moritz in those days.

He was a 6'2" well built guy with a beard. Sort of biker looking. Originally from the North West. I'll ask me mum if she remembers the Scottish fella.

post #17230 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post


Name dropping or not Inks, that's a great anecdote. I was around lots of outdoor gigs as a kid; my Dad played/plays and he and all his friends were rockers. Your anecdotes actually take me back to the sights, sounds, and smells of open-air giggery. Funny times.

I guess it was like aversion-therapy for me. I saw all those scruffy long-hairs and thought, 'I never, ever, want to look (or smell) like that' And it stuck. I've grown to appreatiate some of the music though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post
 

Love It.

Cheers.

post #17231 of 19286

How's the current generation of Levi's sta-prest pants?

post #17232 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig matthew View Post

Is anybody going to the Windrush do in Glasgow this month ?

I can find nothing about it on the internet - there's something about the 2013 event, but nothing about 2014.

I'm about an hour away from Glasgow by train, but this sounds like something I might like to go to, and my daughter and her boyfriend might like it too. Tell me more. If they have the all-day ska/rocksteady/reggae event I'd like to drop in.

My daughter and her boyfriend are good mates of the ska band that was on stage when the helicopter fell on the roof of the Clutha. He lives in Glasgow and she studies there.
post #17233 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohikaarme View Post
 

How's the current generation of Levi's sta-prest pants?

I don't know how are the last ones, but they have been crap for years. I think that when we mention sta-prest type trousers on this forum we refer either to original vintage ones or to decent imitations. (Well that's my case anyway.) If you go back on the thread, you'll find this subject have been discussed at length.

post #17234 of 19286
Man of mystery if you are on Facebook check out Windrush Glasgow,if not the daytime do is in the Nice n sleazy pub on sauchihall street and the night do is in Stereo nightclub 22nd march is the date hopefully see you there
post #17235 of 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post
 

My late father used to bounce at the Marquee in Wardour St. He also used to do security at the Reading Festival when the Marquee still ran it.(Him and his mates would drive round the corrugated perimeter fence in a fleet of Mini Mokes and clatter anyone trying to bunk over the fence.) I went with him a few times as a kid. Bloody hated it. Frigging patchouli-smelling hippies everywhere. My dad absolutely despised the back-stage liggers and hangers-on. The back-stage compound had a pub-tent called the Queens Head. I should of been impressed with all the famous musicians I saw, but I was a kid, and they were strange smelling scruff-bags, and I just wanted to go home. The place looked like The Somme (It always rained), stank like stale beer, poop and dope. No place for a natty 11 year old in loafers and Sta-Prest. 1978 was interesting though, they had Punk and New Wave bands for a change. That year, they'd plastered big Tom Robinson Band posters on the bonnets of the Mokes. (The one with the clenched-fist logo.) Me and dad were tear-arsing around in the Moke backstage. A bloke saw the Moke and held up his arm with his fist clenched in the air and shouted, "Tom Robinson, Right On !"

My dad shouted back, "Nah, he's a fucking poofter !"

I then had to explain, "Dad, that was Tom Robinson." He knew.

In September '83 The Truth were playing at the Marquee and my dad got me and my mate in for free. We got to meet and chat with the band before the gig, and they gave us a load of t-shirts, posters and stuff. Pretty cool. I kind of soured things a bit by telling them I still preferred Nine Below Zero.

We used to still get free Reading tickets from the Marquee group when they still ran the festival, long after me old man stopped working for them. Harry Pendleton came to his funeral as well.

Well, I think that's my name-dropping quota used up for the year.

Inks

Reading 1978, I was there too, straight back off the plane from Spain, to see Sham 69........

As for the Marquee, used to go there regular between 1976 up to around 1980, never any real aggro in there or with the bouncers, except for the Johns Boys (The Jam) gig in 1979... that was more like a riot.

Tom

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead