or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1145

post #17161 of 18818
@Botolph Thanks. No wool backings there mate. I find em too warm as I like to wear em as a scarf or tucked in like a cravat or ascot.

I sometimes snoop around second hand and antiques shops etc to see if they've got any, sometimes got lucky for a fiver though I've never seen a red or blue dot in one of those places. Got those two on flea bay, £30 ish each I think a few years back.
post #17162 of 18818
Some very sad news from Original Modernist Gill Evans (from Facebook):

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that my lovely husband Del has passed away.
Del Evans 1st May 1946 -26th February 2014. X x x

Gill and Del met in the early 1960s and became 'Continentalists' - see their 'Mod Togs' Facebook page and Jack that Cat Was Clean blog

http://jackthatcatwasclean.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/memories-photos-of-birmingham-mods-del.html
post #17163 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

@Botolph Thanks. No wool backings there mate. I find em too warm as I like to wear em as a scarf or tucked in like a cravat or ascot.



I sometimes snoop around second hand and antiques shops etc to see if they've got any, sometimes got lucky for a fiver though I've never seen a red or blue dot in one of those places. Got those two on flea bay, £30 ish each I think a few years back.

 



The old 60s scarves are much smaller all round than the monstrosities worn today. My dear old dad (who took me to be measured for my first MTM suit in 1967) died three years ago yesterday. He also left me two very nice Tootal scarves, one of which I have put up on here. Sam Walker of Covent Garden (now gone I assume) supplied me with two paisley Tootal cravats in the 80s.

I shall try to take a picture of them together asap.
post #17164 of 18818

Picked this up on ebay. Made by Pickering, a US brand. It's a 4 front-button, pull-over BD. A sort of BD/Polo shirt hybrid. The placket is about 3/4 of the shirts length, which seems pointless. Were there many pull-over BD shirts early on ? This one seems a bit of an oddity.

I wish it didn't have the Greenwich Country Club CT logo on it.

post #17165 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post


Thanks, cerneabbas. Good to know I hadn't dreamed it. I'll look out for that book. Another one I recall is "Folk Devils and Moral Panics" by Stanley(?) Cohen. I think there's material on skinheads in it. I believe he died recently and didn't he appear in one of those early 70s TV documentaries (was it the one about the Newcastle lads) that's been linked from here to YouTube?

As I said to Mr. Knightley, I'm very pleased with the scarf. Tootal's always a nice link to Manchester for me; reminds of the wonderful old building on Oxford Street (Manchester) tho' the colour of the scarf means I wouldn't wear it to the football biggrin.gif

elwood,I dug my copy out,I will change a bit dry to very dry,and not as much as I thought about skinheads,well researched though and some very interesting parts.

I know what you mean about colours,I wouldn't wear red until a few years ago and even now it doesnt feel "natural" somehow,old habits I suppose.

post #17166 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post


My humble Tootal collection

Red dot and blue dot get all the wear

Cleav,A very nice collection,although I admire the paisley and the patterned ones,I would be more likely to wear the dot ones too.

I have usually seen them worn with a Crombie type coat,what do you wear yours with ?

BTW,John Smedley is not that far from you,are/were they popular in your area ?

post #17167 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post

Some very sad news from Original Modernist Gill Evans (from Facebook):

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that my lovely husband Del has passed away.
Del Evans 1st May 1946 -26th February 2014. X x x

Gill and Del met in the early 1960s and became 'Continentalists' - see their 'Mod Togs' Facebook page and Jack that Cat Was Clean blog

http://jackthatcatwasclean.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/memories-photos-of-birmingham-mods-del.html

Sorry to hear that Mr Knightley,in the interview that Gill did you could tell that she was happy and proud of their joint interest in style in the past and up until then.

post #17168 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post
 

Picked this up on ebay. Made by Pickering, a US brand. It's a 4 front-button, pull-over BD. A sort of BD/Polo shirt hybrid. The placket is about 3/4 of the shirts length, which seems pointless. Were there many pull-over BD shirts early on ? This one seems a bit of an oddity.

I wish it didn't have the Greenwich Country Club CT logo on it.

Inks,I have never seen a BD in that style but I do remember having a couple of pullover shirts like that when I was a kid,its a very old design,because the bottom half has no gaps they are quite warm to wear.

BTW,I looked on the Brooks brothers UK site and they have some of those multi stripe/plain/check shirts ( a bit like that one you put a picture of ) some looked ok IMO although some looked a bit like jockeys colours.

post #17169 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post
 

Inks,I have never seen a BD in that style but I do remember having a couple of pullover shirts like that when I was a kid,its a very old design,because the bottom half has no gaps they are quite warm to wear.

BTW,I looked on the Brooks brothers UK site and they have some of those multi stripe/plain/check shirts ( a bit like that one you put a picture of ) some looked ok IMO although some looked a bit like jockeys colours.

Proper name is a pop over shirt, another Ivy league thing a bit, done by Brooks etc. Dont mind them but wouldnt wear one myself.

post #17170 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Sorry to hear that Mr Knightley,in the interview that Gill did you could tell that she was happy and proud of their joint interest in style in the past and up until then.
Yes, that joint interest is perhaps unusual today - which is partly why some of us end up on discussion forums...
post #17171 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

My humble Tootal collection

Red dot and blue dot get all the wear


Nice Collection.
post #17172 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post

Yes, that joint interest is perhaps unusual today - which is partly why some of us end up on discussion forums...

Sorry to hear about Gill`s loss.They were certainly a very smart Couple,Mr.Knightley.
post #17173 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Cleav,A very nice collection,although I admire the paisley and the patterned ones,I would be more likely to wear the dot ones too.
I have usually seen them worn with a Crombie type coat,what do you wear yours with ?
BTW,John Smedley is not that far from you,are/were they popular in your area ?

Cheers Cern, Yep the red and blue get all the go and the red paisley next to em I like too. I wear em with a jumper, tucked in, to look like a cravat or ascot and a jacket on top like a black Barbour or similar. Wear em like a scarf too. I'll take a pic or two and post to see what you think. Always glad of an opinion. Some of other threads dominated by Americans and some Euros don't get it so its a battle sometimes when Im posting fit pics there so any support or reassurance gratefully received.

John Smedley, great spot that. Yeah, they're about 30 mins away from me in Crich. The factory is as was and is certainly very impressive. I compare it to another love of mine English shoes and in particular Crockett and Jones shoes in Northampton. The history of these places is something you can smell when you go. I drop into Northampton a couple of times a month for work and if there's an opportunity, I will buy. The Duchess also loves em now, cost me some money but now she don't mind when i get another pair. The same true for JS, they have a sale in the factory once a year. It's done over three days and it is mobbed, we always go but the kids hate it (!) their factory shop is the place to go to (open all year) as you can pick all sort of bargains up. I might go once or twice a year if I do some work in Matlock as Crich is on the way.

Back in the day they were more old mannish if I remember and we never got em on. That might have contributed to some dire times for JS, they nearly went under, but they reinvented themselves and now are world renowned of course. If memory serves I think one of the sons in the family took it on and pushed the fine knit. By that time we were a little older and able to afford em and I think the traditional colours of greys, blues and blacks went down a treat, certainly with a tootal!


Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Nice Collection.

Thanks too Brownie, much appreciated.
post #17174 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post
 

Mr Knightley.You are right it is/was a great thing to see someone who had the look just right,there have been photos on this thread where there have been excellently attired individuals IMO.

To me one of the smartest looks was brogues,prince of wales check trousers a button down and a Crombie,but some lads could look scruffy even wearing all of that .

That's one of the things I like seeing on this thread,people taking  some pride in their appearance,thinking about what they wear, even  talk about polishing boots,standards that have largely been forgotten in most of life today.

I'm one of those lads that would look scruffy even wearing all of that sad but true.

post #17175 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

My humble Tootal collection

Red dot and blue dot get all the wear


That is indeed a very nice collection, Cleav. Something to wear with near enough anything I'd say.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead