or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1125

post #16861 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post
 

Just recently spoke with someone at the Edwin Jeans shop in London to check and see if my favourite cut ED-49's were actually being discontinued.Yet again,I find something that fits perfect and i like,only to see it pulled from production ! Anyway,while chatting to the very helpful bloke,he mentioned that the company were going to be doing a collaboration with Dr Martens this year and produce a limited edition for them that probably would be a "Skinhead Cut".I think he mentioned September time.

Yeah Great news. Just what we need another brand that knows fucking nothing about it to jump on the bandwagon and try make a quick easy buck out of it. I like Edwin jeans btw, but a skinhead cut ? What a straight leg selvedge jean ? Dont make me laugh.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post
 

I don't know what's going in with this Madras shirt. It is a Gant. It looks like two shirts made into one. Has anyone seen one like this before ?Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

 

Yeah, this is in a 60's madras style popular with the Ivy league boys. Reminds me a bit of the Bermuda shorts style which started in a patch work like these 

Then I think the idea expanded to shirts about the same time. Every of those american style shirts has had a bit of a go at the, though I think Brooks brothers was the classic 

Cant ever imagine a skinhead wearing something so vile, I guess part of the hideousness is the attraction of it. I do love madras shirts though, particularly bleeding madras which is rare to find these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post
 

 

I know that sometime in the near future, I'm probably going to see some 'youth' in a FP polo, with a pair of green/gold Tonic Sta-Prest hanging right round their arse and wearing trainers.

 

Youve not been out enough. Its getting bad.

post #16862 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermott View Post


Yeah, this is in a 60's madras style popular with the Ivy league boys. Reminds me a bit of the Bermuda shorts style which started in a patch work like these 

Then I think the idea expanded to shirts about the same time. Every of those american style shirts has had a bit of a go at the, though I think Brooks brothers was the classic 



Neither here nor there, but the patchwork madras look started with shirts and jackets, then thereafter to trousers and shirts. 'Tis/was known as the "go-to-hell" look. Popular on Nantucket, the Hampdens, and other places where the priveleged Americans play.
Quote:
Cant ever imagine a skinhead wearing something so vile, I guess part of the hideousness is the attraction of it. I do love madras shirts though, particularly bleeding madras which is rare to find these days.

Yeah those are some hideous creations. As mentioned about 500 pages back, Beams Plus out of Japan do a nice Madras shirt, though it doesn't bleed much and the collar's a bit small. I wear them a lot in the brutal New England summers. Of course I wouldn't touch them shorts, or the aforementioned jacket or trousers with a barge pole.

The Beams + ones are nice, though not really skinhead. I have one of these:


Quote:
Youve not been out enough. Its getting bad.

Dunno if you've ever been to America, but it's 1,000x worse where most fellas dress like toddlers and most chicks wear pyjamas in public. And that's just the skinheads!biggrin.gif
post #16863 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermott View Post
 

Yeah Great news. Just what we need another brand that knows fucking nothing about it to jump on the bandwagon and try make a quick easy buck out of it. I like Edwin jeans btw, but a skinhead cut ? What a straight leg selvedge jean ? Dont make me laugh.

 

Yeah,I could hardly hold the laughter back when he came out with that,so I didn't delve deeper.

I can just picture a bearded,Amish looking "Intern Hipster" giving design direction to the Japanese production team on the finer details of how they should be .They will then be sold at an exorbitant premium,and snapped up by the lemmings.

You'll be glad to know that Levis in New York have come to our rescue and can offer you MTM jeans from around $400-800 a pr.

Great to know that you can get everything that you one had  that they changed and screwed around with ,and are now happy to make exclusively for you……….at a price.

Fuck off LS & Co. 

post #16864 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

I can just picture a bearded,Amish looking "Intern Hipster" giving design direction to the Japanese production team on the finer details of how they should be .

That picture would most likely looked similar to this video :P :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHU6TkqWjs#t=97
post #16865 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post


That picture would most likely looked similar to this video :P :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHU6TkqWjs#t=97

Like all subcultures,eventually the perception of those outside the subculture is a gross cliche and a very narrow view.The Hipsters represented here are not REAL Hipsters.They are moronic twats jumping on the bandwagon like 99% of the assholes walking around Williamsburg Brooklyn.The REAL Hipsters have been forgotten and no one will ever know.Just like the Hippies.The REAL Hippies started in the late 1940's and were featured in LIFE magazine in 1948,20 years before the Bullshit Hippies began.Not unlike the Original Skinheads and the permutations that came later.

post #16866 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post

02:00 - Wot no cow horns?biggrin.gif

(Edit - Just saw what Aces said about bike racks....spot on mate!)

Great find, the 5-a-side and dancing clip should be set to music.





Found this photo at last, always makes me smile. smile.gif (No info.)



South East London Mod Clubs -

Savoy Rooms mentioned M-o-M

http://transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/mods-in-south-london.html


If I remember correctly,I had a check pair of Slippers like that-in the 60s.
Argyle Socks looked pretty much like that-they sold them in the Ivy Shop-and I still like them....smile.gif

Good Photoi of the Scooter,Bunty.Carefree days.
post #16867 of 18556
I can remember the Madras Shirts hanging up in the Ivy Shop.Some of those had slightly different sides.I bought a Madras Check Jacket that kept well,so well a 2nd Generation Mod borrowed it and never gave it back-that was 79ish. smile.gif
post #16868 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

I can remember the Madras Shirts hanging up in the Ivy Shop.Some of those had slightly different sides.I bought a Madras Check Jacket that kept well,so well a 2nd Generation Mod borrowed it and never gave it back-that was 79ish. smile.gif

I think that's the key - slightly different sides. It was all about subtle nuances and that is of course what these later interpretations just lack.
post #16869 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post

This sad story stayed in the headlines (TV, papers, radios) last year for at least ten days. Wouldn't have been the case if skinheads were not involved. Unfortunately, the brawl turned deadly. I was in the mentioned sale the day before the events. Not all written in this article is correct. Media simplification as usual.

That's how its always been I suppose. That term has pretty much become a knee-jerk reaction in the media. Nevermind the fact that, none of them could really be called "skinheads" to begin with.
post #16870 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Like all subcultures,eventually the perception of those outside the subculture is a gross cliche and a very narrow view.The Hipsters represented here are not REAL Hipsters.They are moronic twats jumping on the bandwagon like 99% of the assholes walking around Williamsburg Brooklyn.The REAL Hipsters have been forgotten and no one will ever know.Just like the Hippies.The REAL Hippies started in the late 1940's and were featured in LIFE magazine in 1948,20 years before the Bullshit Hippies began.Not unlike the Original Skinheads and the permutations that came later.

Well none of the so-called "hipsters" today look like this I can tell you that much:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(1940s_subculture)
post #16871 of 18556
Speaking of big logos... (click to enlarge)
Edited by Clouseau - 1/27/14 at 12:46pm
post #16872 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksideoftheforce View Post


(...)Nevermind the fact that, none of them could really be called "skinheads" to begin with.

Absolutely. At least not like we conceive "skinheads" on this thread. 

post #16873 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksideoftheforce View Post


Well none of the so-called "hipsters" today look like this I can tell you that much:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(1940s_subculture)

Hipsters of the 1940's and 50's were a different thing entirely. Norman Mailer coined the term in the mid-50's to describe what were white kids enjoying and participating in African American culture,mainly Jazz music and various very loud fashions.The Ertegun  brothers who later founded Atlantic records were some of the first "Hipsters" and jazz record collectors.Making trips to Harlem from D.C. as teens to go to the Jazz Clubs.Elvis Presley was also a "Hipster' in the Norman Mailer definition.The Original Hippies of the late 40's included the songwriter Eden Abhez  who wrote  the very famous tune "Nature Boy"  They were not called Hippies at that time. Beatnik,Hippie,Skinhead, and now Hipster are all terms created by the media to castrate and denigrate the Bohemian class.

post #16874 of 18556

When I talk about todays "Hipsters" I'm talking about a sub culture that began in 1981 and was centered around specific musics from specific bands from specific college towns(as the records were only played on college radio) We were not called "Hipsters" until the media coined the term in about 2000,20 years after it began.

post #16875 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Hipsters of the 1940's and 50's were a different thing entirely. Norman Mailer coined the term in the mid-50's to describe what were white kids enjoying and participating in African American culture,mainly Jazz music and various very loud fashions.

Sounds familiar. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead