or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1120

post #16786 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post
 

Could be but I don't recall them from the time.

 

That pic is interesting in that the girl leaning against the wall (who does look well turned out to me) seems to want to distance herself from the rest.  If so, I can see why!

I think that they are pvc white boots,they pulled up and had elastic around the top,I remember girls ( not skinhead girls ) wearing them about then .

As for Tweed it was regarded ( here ) much as you said about Oxford shoes,a bit staid and boring..later I remember girls wearing tweed flares and later again tweed skirts.

post #16787 of 18778
A couple more picture links from the Cambridge FB group. One from 69, and another claiming to be 71 - with lots of white socks.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152140157134696&set=p.10152140157134696&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152140159599696&set=p.10152140159599696&type=1
post #16788 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

I think that they are pvc white boots,they pulled up and had elastic around the top,I remember girls ( not skinhead girls ) wearing them about then .
As for Tweed it was regarded ( here ) much as you said about Oxford shoes,a bit staid and boring..later I remember girls wearing tweed flares and later again tweed skirts.

As others have said, some great new photos appearing in last few days - let's hope it continues in 2014.

My recollection of those "wet look" boots you mention, cerneabbas, that pulled up like socks was of them often being worn with hot pants - which would put it in 1971, "Ride a White Swan" and all that. But, as you say, not worn by skinhead girls. (Can't say myself whether those are boots or socks in that photo.)

Never saw tweed around in the classic 1969-1971 period: other than teachers' jackets (enough said perhaps as to why it had little appeal). This has, however, unfortunately unleashed the previously lost memory of my own pair of tweedy "bags" in late 74 or 75, when the style was really long gone. I'll probably struggle to forget them again now.
post #16789 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post



As others have said, some great new photos appearing in last few days - let's hope it continues in 2014.



My recollection of those "wet look" boots you mention, cerneabbas, that pulled up like socks was of them often being worn with hot pants - which would put it in 1971, "Ride a White Swan" and all that. But, as you say, not worn by skinhead girls. (Can't say myself whether those are boots or socks in that photo.)



Never saw tweed around in the classic 1969-1971 period: other than teachers' jackets (enough said perhaps as to why it had little appeal). This has, however, unfortunately unleashed the previously lost memory of my own pair of tweedy "bags" in late 74 or 75, when the style was really long gone. I'll probably struggle to forget them again now.

 



Yes, tweed bags from Stirling Cooper c 1972 / 3. Much too wide and uncomfortable but nice salt and pepper fabric in navy, grey, whiteish. Worn with a Shetland roll neck and round toed shoes from Toppers. I'm rather glad no pics of mine survive!
post #16790 of 18778

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

I took a punt and bought a deadstock 60s short sleeve 'Permanent-Press' BD from US ebay. I know it's probably going to be a nylon-nightmare, but I liked the collar length.  It was only £19 including post and packaging, so even if it's tut, I can wear it when I creosote the fence.

post #16791 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post



As others have said, some great new photos appearing in last few days - let's hope it continues in 2014.



My recollection of those "wet look" boots you mention, cerneabbas, that pulled up like socks was of them often being worn with hot pants - which would put it in 1971, "Ride a White Swan" and all that. But, as you say, not worn by skinhead girls. (Can't say myself whether those are boots or socks in that photo.)



Never saw tweed around in the classic 1969-1971 period: other than teachers' jackets (enough said perhaps as to why it had little appeal). This has, however, unfortunately unleashed the previously lost memory of my own pair of tweedy "bags" in late 74 or 75, when the style was really long gone. I'll probably struggle to forget them again now.

 



Yes, tweed bags from Stirling Cooper c 1972 / 3. Much too wide and uncomfortable but nice salt and pepper fabric in navy, grey, whiteish. Worn with a Shetland roll neck and round toed shoes from Toppers. I'm rather glad no pics of mine survive!

Around the same time I was wearing the same, but from 'Jonathan Silver', off King Street in Manchester.

The great thing about JS, was they did alterations on whatever you bought and, as a short-arse, that was important to me. satisfied.gif
post #16792 of 18778

Not sure we had this one.

post #16793 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBackAndSides View Post

A couple more picture links from the Cambridge FB group. One from 69, and another claiming to be 71 - with lots of white socks.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152140157134696&set=p.10152140157134696&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152140159599696&set=p.10152140159599696&type=1

Thanks for posting the links ShortBackAndSides, I live in Cambridge and I haven't seen those photos before.





That's the one M-o-M!
post #16794 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post



Not sure we had this one.

Yep, we did. I was the interviewee (but they didn't use a pic of me). The reporter was a well-respected NYT journalist who went on to win all kinds of awards. She died not long ago.
post #16795 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post

Thanks for posting the links ShortBackAndSides, I live in Cambridge and I haven't seen those photos before.





That's the one M-o-M!

Typical 'Northern' pose - hands in arse pockets. biggrin.gif
post #16796 of 18778
Been perusing this thread, some interesting stuff in here.

Figured this was a good place to post questions about boots...

Haven't worn DM-style boots in about 15 years but, I recently got a pair of MIE Gripfast steelcaps in oxblood. They have a heavy lugged sole that appeals to me because I recently moved to a colder climate and I'm looking at a long winter. Probably going to buy a second pair of similar boots soon.

At any rate, is anyone familiar with the "Boots & Braces" brand of steelcap boots?

See here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-hole-Cherry-Red-Boots-Braces-Rangers-Stiefel-Work-Punk-Skinhead-Ska-Biker-/290963235359?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item8967d40568

The seller says they're made in Portugal of "polido" leather. They have a screw-on commando style sole somewhat similar to the Gripfast boots, but are a bit less expensive. Does anyone have any idea about the quality on these? Should I just stick with the MIE boots (DM vintage line, Solovair, etc.)?

Also, these caught my eye:

http://www.britboot.co.uk/engine/shop/product/GL06/Gladiator+-+Southerner+%2811+Eyelet%29

Does anyone have experience with the Gladiator sole? Is it pretty much like the Gripfast sole, or is it a different material/style? How comfortable is it.

Finally, I'm wondering what the general opinion is on longwing brogue shoes with an Air Wair or commando style sole? Too clunky?

Like these:

http://www.gripfastboots.com/products/gripfast-5-eyelet-american-brogue-shoe-in-black

I've worn wingtips before (Allen Edmonds and such) but never with anything but a traditional leather dress sole.
post #16797 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvac View Post

Been perusing this thread, some interesting stuff in here.

Finally, I'm wondering what the general opinion is on longwing brogue shoes with an Air Wair or commando style sole? Too clunky?

Like these:

http://www.gripfastboots.com/products/gripfast-5-eyelet-american-brogue-shoe-in-black

I've worn wingtips before (Allen Edmonds and such) but never with anything but a traditional leather dress sole.

In a word Hideous smile.gif
post #16798 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

I think that they are pvc white boots,they pulled up and had elastic around the top,I remember girls ( not skinhead girls ) wearing them about then .


Came in about the same time as the short Check Skirts.The Boots were in Red,Black and White-I believe.They were worn by Girls who knocked about with Skinheads(but were not Skinheads themselves).It`s a funny thing now,but the White Boots were originally associated with "Being On The Game".smile.gif
post #16799 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

As for Tweed it was regarded ( here ) much as you said about Oxford shoes,a bit staid and boring..later I remember girls wearing tweed flares and later again tweed skirts.

Something that was from the "Gatsby" Style.BakerBoy Caps and Two Tone Shoes.I remember there was some interesting Tweeds.
post #16800 of 18778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

Typical 'Northern' pose - hands in arse pockets. biggrin.gif


Scruffy Bleeders biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead