or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1026

post #15376 of 18908

MoM, nobody asks you to give up your A-2 or MA-1 ! In the streets of Perth you will probably meet more people in kilt (girls and boys i guess :), bonnie Scotland ) than "racist nutters".

post #15377 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


I love my leather flying jacket and my shades, and I'm not going to stop wearing it just because of some racist nutters in Paris. I have my own politics, they have theirs, and we're poles apart. But one of the main reasons I like this thread is that we have managed to reclaim the way we look(ed) from the politics. Sure, we needed to talk about how society was in the time the look evolved, but that was that. I would no more give up my A1 jacket than I would give up my MA2 jacket just because someone associates it with politics; I had that once at a West Indian carnival in Liverpool (early 1980s) when I was queueing for food, and some (white) bloke came up to me demanding to know what I was doing there in short hair and a skinhead jacket. I gave him short shrift, I can tell you! What made me laugh at the time was that none of the rastas and other black people there could have given a James Clark Ross what I was wearing!

I do wear my A1 during the winter, but I also have a tailored overcoat that looks a little like a Crombie, but clearly isn't, and a shorter wool coat that looks a bit like a donkey jacket but clearly isn't. If you see what I mean (I've had it for years - I got it from the Hawkshead catalogue). The weather here in Perth has just turned a little colder, so I have put my Levi jackets away. I might get a chance to wear my Harrington a few times before winter, but basically it's time for more serious coats now.

I am the same,I will wear what I want,but I am aware that people can or do make judgements on what people wear...I am guilty of doing it myself..I work in the centre of Bristol ( mostly) and if I see anyone wearing Dr Marten boots I think that they are probably going into one of the gay bars there ( unless they are female,in which case they are probably a first year student at the university,seen two girls like this since the students started back ) I wasn't sure what to make of the bloke I saw in Asda last week wearing one Dr Marten boot and one unknown boot,maybe he wasn't sure himself ?

I am aware that people wont agree with me,and I am probably wrong for making judgements about what people wear..but I bet I am not the only one who does it.

post #15378 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post
 

I agree that the A2 is a great looking jacket,but like the Alpha flying jackets people have their ideas about what meanings they might have.

I find the flight jackets a bit short and I would like to find a jacket a bit longer than a Harrington for the winter months,maybe the length of a Barbour jacket ( but not a Barbour jacket ). I was wondering if anyone here wears a longer jacket as I am a bit stuck for an idea.

 

Not that I am in any way a style icon........

 

I have 2 ''Barbour length' suede jackets (one tan, one deep rose brown) that I wear in the winter. I usually sport them over jeans and a Levi Jacket if cold, or occasionally minus the Levi Jacket if a bit milder. I wear rose brown brogues with the dark one and mid tan shoes with the light one. I wouldn't wear a blue Levi Jacket and blue jeans together on their own these days, but somehow feel quite good with a suede jacket over the top. One problem though, suede is no good in the wet!

post #15379 of 18908

0


Edited by Sirryacus - 10/11/13 at 7:32am
post #15380 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post
 

 

Not that I am in any way a style icon........

 

I have 2 ''Barbour length' suede jackets (one tan, one deep rose brown) that I wear in the winter. I usually sport them over jeans and a Levi Jacket if cold, or occasionally minus the Levi Jacket if a bit milder. I wear rose brown brogues with the dark one and mid tan shoes with the light one. I wouldn't wear a blue Levi Jacket and blue jeans together on their own these days, but somehow feel quite good with a suede jacket over the top. One problem though, suede is no good in the wet!

roytonboy..The jackets that I have seen that I like best are leather ones ,probably similar to your suede jackets.....great on dry cold or windy days (as were sheepskins ) but as you say no good in the wet and I cant find a showerproof version.

I am not keen on the Barbours they look like fox hunt followers coats but are usually seen on estate agents in the city,the quilted ones look like you should be going to a gymkhana,i don't feel ready for a car coat and I hope that I never do feel ready.

As usual it seems like anything stylish isn't very practical,a winter jacket that you cant wear in the rain isn't great for Englands climate but I don't want a "military" looking job that makes it look like I am off too Afghanistan,or one of the padded ones that look like the Michelin man....

post #15381 of 18908

"I was wondering if anyone here wears a longer jacket as I am a bit stuck for an idea..."

 

Cerneabbas. I usually wear Loden or Crombie/Chesterfield coat during the winter months. But for the rainy and very cold days, i wear a "Squall parka". This is a very classic and simple outerwear made by Lands End. Easy to wear, warm & waterproof, very comfortable, simple design, no logo, not expensive. Really basic but i'm fond of it. I've got it for years now, and the design changed a little, but's it's globally quite the same. 

Of course, this is not a trendy parka made by Stone Island, Pretty green or whatever, and you won't put it for a "Do". But it looks good IMO, and have a nice fit. And they do "Men's tall" size...  Sure you won't look like Bibendum (Michelin man's name). Apparently they did more colors in the time. Mine is black. The navy doesn't look bad (see link).

 

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-squall-parka/id_242737

post #15382 of 18908

  I have friends in London(well, from Notts originally) who'd say things like, "ooh yeah them toffs running around in their Barbour jackets, blah blah blah..."

  Not sure what the deal is, but I can tell you, my sage green Beaufort with its liner is dynamite for New England winters that can get -30˚C˚, and I think they look pretty smart.  Obviously if it's not sleeting or freezing rain a Crombie is just the thing.

  My question is, why were Barbours never worn back in the Originals© days?  I think that, with the right ensemble, they look pretty damned smart.  Too "where's your flat cap and whippet?" looking?

 

 

On warmer coats, and I've mentioned it before, but there's a great Brooks Brothers raincoat with a warm, removable semi-quilted liner that is excellent in the winter with a scarf.  

  Granted the guy should size down one, but I own this and had the sleeves shortened a bit(stubby arms me), and looks sharp as a tack:

[url] http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Single-Breasted-Trench-Coat/082L,default,pd.html?dwvar_082L_Color=TAN&contentpos=8&cgid= [/url]

 

post #15383 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post
 

  I have friends in London(well, from Notts originally) who'd say things like, "ooh yeah them toffs running around in their Barbour jackets, blah blah blah..."

  Not sure what the deal is, but I can tell you, my sage green Beaufort with its liner is dynamite for New England winters that can get -30˚C˚, and I think they look pretty smart.  Obviously if it's not sleeting or freezing rain a Crombie is just the thing.

  My question is, why were Barbours never worn back in the Originals© days?  I think that, with the right ensemble, they look pretty damned smart.  Too "where's your flat cap and whippet?" looking?

 

 

On warmer coats, and I've mentioned it before, but there's a great Brooks Brothers raincoat with a warm, removable semi-quilted liner that is excellent in the winter with a scarf.

  Granted the guy should size down one, but I own this and had the sleeves shortened a bit(stubby arms me), and looks sharp as a tack:

[url] http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Single-Breasted-Trench-Coat/082L,default,pd.html?dwvar_082L_Color=TAN&contentpos=8&cgid= [/url]

 

I like the BB raincoat.

 

As far as the Barbour is concerned I don't think they were even on our radar back in the day.  I recall being in a lecture on public administration in the 70s and the tutor for some reason strayed onto the subject of what well-heeled girls were wearing in the City.  He mentioned blue stockings and a Barbour and the reaction from most of the students (me included) was 'What?!'

 

It was not really until the early 80s and the emergence of the 'Princess Diana look' that Barbours started to be seen as a fashion statement.  Perhaps other originals will have had a different experience.

 

I am happy with my Liddesdale quilted jacket.  I have had it for at least seven years but, though I sized down to make is as sleek as possible, I have never considered it stylish, just very practical.

 

http://www.barbour.com/All-Collections/Mens/Quilted-Jackets/c/mens-quiltedjackets?q=%3AtopRated&page=1

post #15384 of 18908

Perhaps it would be interesting now the weather has turned much colder (at least it has here in the East of England) to report on the outerwear pieces we are lining up for the season - developing on the posts already put up.

 

I shall once again dig out my fly-fronted navy Grenfell raincoat (as I have probably said before it was an Oxfam FIND at £8.99 and in nearly new condition)

 

 

 

I have a black Crombie - ish coat that I have never liked but may again wear on colder days

 

The most exciting thing is that my tailor is right now (I hope) making some small adjustments to my 1987 Redaelli  dark navy, winter weight, fly-fronted jacket that defies description!  Pics soon I hope.....

post #15385 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post
 

  I have friends in London(well, from Notts originally) who'd say things like, "ooh yeah them toffs running around in their Barbour jackets, blah blah blah..."

  Not sure what the deal is, but I can tell you, my sage green Beaufort with its liner is dynamite for New England winters that can get -30˚C˚, and I think they look pretty smart.  Obviously if it's not sleeting or freezing rain a Crombie is just the thing.

  My question is, why were Barbours never worn back in the Originals© days?  I think that, with the right ensemble, they look pretty damned smart.  Too "where's your flat cap and whippet?" looking?

 

 

On warmer coats, and I've mentioned it before, but there's a great Brooks Brothers raincoat with a warm, removable semi-quilted liner that is excellent in the winter with a scarf.

  Granted the guy should size down one, but I own this and had the sleeves shortened a bit(stubby arms me), and looks sharp as a tack:

[url] http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Single-Breasted-Trench-Coat/082L,default,pd.html?dwvar_082L_Color=TAN&contentpos=8&cgid= [/url]

 

Botolph...I first remember seeing waxed jackets ( as they were known) mid 70s by lads who had terriers and went rabbiting,these coats were used as very practical coats much as manual workers wore donkey jackets,what I mean is not as a fashion item.

Then as Mr Knightley says they caught on as a fashion thing because of Princess Dianas image and the Sloane Rangers,even though they may have used them as practical wear with their horsey activities,this was the first time that I remember the jackets being called Barbours ( even though other makes were about ).

Gradually these jackets were worn by other people wanting to imitate the gentry and then there was a bit of a backlash against them,none of this is relevant to you in the USA of course.

I don't know if you are aware that Barbour had also made similar waxed jackets for motorcyclists ? there is a picture of Steve Mcqueen wearing one whilst competing for America on a Triumph in 1963 in East Germany just after the filming of the Great Escape,you wont be surprised that he looks very cool in the picture though.

I think that the Brooks brothers coat looks smart,I also like his trousers.

post #15386 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
 

"I was wondering if anyone here wears a longer jacket as I am a bit stuck for an idea..."

 

Cerneabbas. I usually wear Loden or Crombie/Chesterfield coat during the winter months. But for the rainy and very cold days, i wear a "Squall parka". This is a very classic and simple outerwear made by Lands End. Easy to wear, warm & waterproof, very comfortable, simple design, no logo, not expensive. Really basic but i'm fond of it. I've got it for years now, and the design changed a little, but's it's globally quite the same.

Of course, this is not a trendy parka made by Stone Island, Pretty green or whatever, and you won't put it for a "Do". But it looks good IMO, and have a nice fit. And they do "Men's tall" size...  Sure you won't look like Bibendum (Michelin man's name). Apparently they did more colors in the time. Mine is black. The navy doesn't look bad (see link).

 

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-squall-parka/id_242737

As you say Clouseau a practical coat that looks good,I like the Fossil colour , I also like the word Fossil,it suits me.

Bibendum ! something else I have learned from this thread.

post #15387 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post
 

Perhaps it would be interesting now the weather has turned much colder (at least it has here in the East of England) to report on the outerwear pieces we are lining up for the season - developing on the posts already put up.

 

I shall once again dig out my fly-fronted navy Grenfell raincoat (as I have probably said before it was an Oxfam FIND at £8.99 and in nearly new condition)

 

 

 

I have a black Crombie - ish coat that I have never liked but may again wear on colder days

 

The most exciting thing is that my tailor is right now (I hope) making some small adjustments to my 1987 Redaelli  dark navy, winter weight, fly-fronted jacket that defies description!  Pics soon I hope.....

Good idea Mr Knightley,as well as a longer jacket I am looking for an umbrella like the one that I had in 70/71,the ones that I see now have wooden handles the one that I had then had a black imitatation leatherette covered handle with light stitching.

I still have thoughts about buying another Crombie but I know that I wouldn't wear it very often.

As you mentioned your tailor how is your blazer progressing ?

post #15388 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPcbzGleYM4

anyone spot a decent dressed 'skin' - dont even start me about the two n eight sorts.

Just different times....if i was their age then i would have been one of them...as it happens i recognise a few in that footage that are still skinheads on the present scene that i have got to know.
The 60s Skinheads, and the Skinheads that came out of the Punk scene...their is really no comparison in my opinion.
Edited by Lasttye - 10/11/13 at 8:58am
post #15389 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post

I remember well these Tartan miniskirt. There was a big fad around here when i was a kid, let's say between 1971-1974.
Some girls looked lovely in it. they used to put a big safety pin in the skirt, think that's the scottish way.

Speaking of the look (Lacoste, French air force flight jacket, paraboot or army boots) that some French skins developed in the 80s, i think it was mainly a Parisian thing, and not among all crew. As i already said most wore the classic MA-1, in different colors to show on what side they stand.  I have to say most of them were nationalists.There is another variation, still in use among the right wing guys: 
Leather american flight jacket, BD, Lacoste, jeans, sta-prest or chinos, aviators, army boots or paraboots. 

This is a picture shot in 2012. I am not associated at all with right wing activists. Just put this picture to show the look they adopted. Bandanas are not part of the look, but they are useful for other reasons.


Like the look.
post #15390 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post
 

Botolph...I first remember seeing waxed jackets ( as they were known) mid 70s by lads who had terriers and went rabbiting,these coats were used as very practical coats much as manual workers wore donkey jackets,what I mean is not as a fashion item.

Then as Mr Knightley says they caught on as a fashion thing because of Princess Dianas image and the Sloane Rangers,even though they may have used them as practical wear with their horsey activities***,this was the first time that I remember the jackets being called Barbours ( even though other makes were about ).

Gradually these jackets were worn by other people wanting to imitate the gentry and then there was a bit of a backlash against them,none of this is relevant to you in the USA of course.

I don't know if you are aware that Barbour had also made similar waxed jackets for motorcyclists ? there is a picture of Steve Mcqueen wearing one whilst competing for America on a Triumph in 1963 in East Germany just after the filming of the Great Escape,you wont be surprised that he looks very cool in the picture though.

I think that the Brooks brothers coat looks smart,I also like his trousers.

 

***That really cracked me up for some reason...

 

I definitely follow you on the Barbours/waxed jacket stigma.  Pretty much what I presumed.  

The jacket Steve McQueen wore was called the Barbour International.  Very nice jacket which comes in a few variations, including the Steve McQueen model, though the original is best(pictured left, though the "75th anniversary" patch below the "Barbour International" patch is not standard.  As patriotic as I am, I don't think I could see myself in the one on the right, a reproduction of the one worn by McQueen.  Last time I wore an American flag patch it was on my bomber in the early '90s.    

 

    

 

 

 

 

Yeah, I really like the Brooks Bros raincoat, it fits a treat and looks smart.  The guys pants/trousers could be taken up 3/4" in that photo but, that's just me being a d*ckhead.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead