or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1021

post #15301 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post
 

 

Not at all.I think we had plenty of it in the past.The direct influence of Mod to me is undeniable.Certain buttons left undone,length/width of trousers to show shoes,layering of pieces,jeans with suit jackets,accessories,scarves,sunglasses,etc.Unfortunately we seem to have lost it for the most part and it has been diluted down to wearing the collar on a Polo/Rugby shirt turned up and looking a cunt.

 

The collar turned up on a polo shirt is something that I don't like and I would add... tying a jumper around shoulders, dangling sunglasses between polo shirt buttons ( especially in January ), tucking cigarette packet into turned up polo shirt sleeve,girls wearing sunglasses permanently on top of their head all night....

post #15302 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post
 

 

Agreed,maybe the jeans would be worth looking at ? but at the prices he charges I could probably only afford the polka dot scarf.

 

Those jeans look to be Tellason?i have not tried them on as I have been very satisfied with the Edwin cuts I have.However they are one of the few companies that do jeans with a high front rise.If you can find the "Ankara" model in 16 oz raw denim,then they may be worth a look?They should be similar to the early Levis we used to wear.

post #15303 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post
 

Those jeans look to be Tellason?i have not tried them on as I have been very satisfied with the Edwin cuts I have.However they are one of the few companies that do jeans with a high front rise.If you can find the "Ankara" model in 16 oz raw denim,then they may be worth a look?They should be similar to the early Levis we used to wear.

 

I have just looked up Tellason and as you say the Ankara model looks nice,the site I saw them on said 14.75 oz ?...I would like to see some

as I am finding the denim thing very complicated after years of not wearing jeans....in fact I am thinking that I may be like Mr Knightley with monkey boots,i like the idea but not the reality.

post #15304 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Probably the closest we have to a 'John Simons' up here:

http://www.oipolloi.com/

 

Its nothing like Simons mate - its far better in my opinion . Ive brought loads of stuff online and in person when i went up to Manc to see chelsea ion the cup last year . New US and Jap labels plus some quality heritage ones .

post #15305 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post


Is it that elusive (to us Brits) sprezzatura that sets Italians apart? A kind of art that is so natural to them and seems to require no effort.

 

Even the Italian casuals / hooligans dress better than there UK counterparts ..  

post #15306 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post
 

 

I know what you mean, I have travelled in Italy and I have admired Italians style ( men and women ) sometimes very simple items but worn to great effect.

However as you said the other day it is knowing the difference between what you may like and what will suit you,and although I think that the Milanese blokes look great their look would not suit me ( I probably couldn't pull it off ) the clothes are a step to far IMO.

I asked a question that no one has picked up on I hope that you will,why didn't semi/half brogues become popular "back in the day" ?  I have seen the picture of your Church half brogues so you obviously like the style.

 

With regard to semi-brogues, cerneabbas I really can't say.  There is perhaps one thing that comes to mind though.  Semi or half brogues are normally found in a Balmoral / Oxford style and this type of shoe was not at all popular in the late 60s / early 70s.  It was seen as too stuffy in fashionable circles.  My Diplomats, which I think look great with POW trousers just wouldn't have looked right in 1969. Our Italian and US inspired shoes then were all Derby style.

 

post #15307 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post
 

 

Its nothing like Simons mate - its far better in my opinion . Ive brought loads of stuff online and in person when i went up to Manc to see chelsea ion the cup last year . New US and Jap labels plus some quality heritage ones .

 

Me too online - although I have still to make it to the actual shop....It's certainly an eclectic mix of goodies.

post #15308 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post
... I am finding the denim thing very complicated after years of not wearing jeans....in fact I am thinking that I may be like Mr Knightley with monkey boots,i like the idea but not the reality.

I never stopped wearing jeans. For a very long time (since my skinhead years in the beginning of the eighties), i only wore 501. Then, a dozen years ago, i got fed up with Levi's. So i tried different brands (and cuts), cheap ones like Uniqlo, expensive ones like Paul Smith. But finally, i went back to the classics: Levi's 501, and Lee Riders, which are my favorites: they have a regular rise, rather high, i feel confortable in them, and they've got the look (IMO). But both are a minefield, because it depends a lot of where they're made (best Japan and USA), of the quality, the color, if they are natural indigo or not, selvedge or not, etc...

I like Jeans cos they're basics, classics you can wear with a lot of different items, from a casual look to a more elaborate one.

 

LVC (i don't own any of them, cos they're too expensive imho) recently did a pair of jeans (not 501) supposed close to a Big E sixties model, maybe the Originals could tell us what they think about it ?. It's called "Levi's vintage orange tab 606 jeans".


Edited by Clouseau - 10/7/13 at 10:30am
post #15309 of 18431

I just wanted to say I have been watching the 'Pitti Uomo' discussion over the weekend with interest and enjoyed it very much.  Challenging stuff IMO.

post #15310 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post
 

 

Even the Italian casuals / hooligans dress better than there UK counterparts ..

 

I think that you are right,much more stylish.

post #15311 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post
 

 

With regard to semi-brogues, cerneabbas I really can't say.  There is perhaps one thing that comes to mind though.  Semi or half brogues are normally found in a Balmoral / Oxford style and this type of shoe was not at all popular in the late 60s / early 70s.  It was seen as too stuffy in fashionable circles.  My Diplomats, which I think look great with POW trousers just wouldn't have looked right in 1969. Our Italian and US inspired shoes then were all Derby style.

 

 

Thank you for answering...I guessed that that was the reason,i was recently looking at half brogues and I thought wouldn't it be great if there was a derby/blucher type half brogue and I found several..Allen Edmonds..Sanford,Lexington and Colton...Alden have one ( don't know the name) and Cheaney Tenterden ( maybe too country) .

I wonder if shoes like the Allen Edmonds ones had been available would they would have become popular ? they are certainly versatile IMO could be worn with a suit or jeans.

post #15312 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post
 

I just wanted to say I have been watching the 'Pitti Uomo' discussion over the weekend with interest and enjoyed it very much.  Challenging stuff IMO.

 

I totally agree,however does the discussion belong on this thread ?...I fear that a lot of people  on here will not be at all interested.

Also when I googled Pitti Uomo I found a lot of images that I really didn't like the look of,i don't like the "layering" or IMO over accessorising,i want a much simpler look.

post #15313 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
 

I never stopped wearing jeans. For a very long time (since my skinhead years in the beginning of the eighties), i only wore 501. Then, a dozen years ago, i got fed up with Levi's. So i tried different brands (and cuts), cheap ones like Uniqlo, expensive ones like Paul Smith. But finally, i went back to the classics: Levi's 501, and Lee Riders, which are my favorites: they have a regular rise, rather high, i feel confortable in them, and they've got the look (IMO). But both are a minefield, because it depends a lot of where they're made (best Japan and USA), of the quality, the color, if they are natural indigo or not, selvedge or not, etc...

I like Jeans cos they're basics, classics you can wear with a lot of different items, from a casual look to a more elaborate one.

 

LVC (i don't own any of them, cos they're too expensive imho) recently did a pair of jeans (not 501) supposed close to a Big E sixties model, maybe the Originals could tell us what they think about it ?. It's called "Levi's vintage orange tab 606 jeans".

 

I gave up wearing jeans at about 40 (maybe a year or two before)..I had my first pair of Levis in 69/70 when i was 11 or 12.

Truthfully I was never that impressed with Levis,they seemed to be saggy in the ass IMO.

I went on to Wranglers for a few years and then Lee which were my favourites.

There seems to be too much choice now,i know that sounds crazy but years ago with less too choose from it seemed simpler.

post #15314 of 18431

It's true it's difficult with too much choice. that's why i stick to the "historical" brands : Levi, Lee, and Wrangler. 

i'm not that impressed with Wranglers. I've got one pair, rather comfy, but i don't like too much the leather patch on the pocket. And i think the quality of Levi and Lee is better. Once again, matter of personal taste.

On the subject of shape/type of brogues, i like best "english brogues" type, like Church's Burwood for example. 

post #15315 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
 

It's true it's difficult with too much choice. that's why i stick to the "historical" brands : Levi, Lee, and Wrangler.

i'm not that impressed with Wranglers. I've got one pair, rather comfy, but i don't like too much the leather patch on the pocket. And i think the quality of Levi and Lee is better. Once again, matter of personal taste.

On the subject of shape/type of brogues, i like best "english brogues" type, like Church's Burwood for example.

 

I cannot argue with the quality of the Wranglers that my girlfriend bought me,only the comfort.

Churchs Burwood is a nice shaped English brogue,but of the oxford /balmoral type which as Mr Knightley says is seen as very formal,a derby/blucher type ( like the Loake Royal for instance ) is less formal and so could be worn with jeans or trousers.

BTW,i always used to cut the leather patches off of the Wranglers and the Lee jeans,i thought that they looked crap and they got hard after washing the jeans.


Edited by cerneabbas - 10/7/13 at 11:42am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead