or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1020

post #15286 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Probably the closest we have to a 'John Simons' up here:

http://www.oipolloi.com/
I got some Edwin jeans from them and regret not jumping on some of th Limited Edition ones that they had Edwin do for them.Good,helpful customer service also.
post #15287 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

Inspiration.......

Al Bazzar  Milan




CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90


J Simon London






And isn't Lino's own style a cut above JS - if you like Milanese Flash!
post #15288 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post


And isn't Lino's own style a cut above JS - if you like Milanese Flash!

 

Night and Day.

The thing is ,as I see it,Lino and Gianpaolo have created a very definite and recognisable  "look" that moves with the times.Very traditional Belfast coats,DB jackets,English shoes ect ,but in interesting colours and fabrics that bring them up to date and worn in a very Italian style.

IMO,J.Simon had that chance back in the 60-70's but hasn't been able to make it his own and build on it.

If anyone needs reassuring about wearing jeans into

 

their 60's,then they need look no further than Lino...

post #15289 of 18908

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1

I spotted this on the vintage section on e-bay. I'm not really one for 'dead mens clothes', and besides it's a 2XL, but that collar is proper.

post #15290 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post
 

Post by John Simons on Facebook today - 'Winter window':

 

Overall, i'd have to say very boring, as for the content i like the bomber jacket, Bryan Ferry can have the rest

post #15291 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post
 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1

I spotted this on the vintage section on e-bay. I'm not really one for 'dead mens clothes', and besides it's a 2XL, but that collar is proper.

I seldom buy anything other than ' dead mans clothes ' i've convinced myself there still alive, just fatter than me :D

post #15292 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post
 

I seldom buy anything other than ' dead mans clothes ' i've convinced myself there still alive, just fatter than me :D

 

Well, it's £8.50 from a seller called heavypaul2010, but it's a XXL though.

post #15293 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post
 

 

Well, it's £8.50 from a seller called heavypaul2010, but it's a XXL though.

ebay, a potential birthday every week

post #15294 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post
 

Overall, i'd have to say very boring, as for the content i like the bomber jacket, Bryan Ferry can have the rest

 

Agreed,maybe the jeans would be worth looking at ? but at the prices he charges I could probably only afford the polka dot scarf.

As you say e bay is always worth looking at...biggest shop in the world,its a game in itself sorting the great finds from the junk...saw some steel combs on there a couple of weeks back I hadn't seen one for years.

post #15295 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

Night and Day.
The thing is ,as I see it,Lino and Gianpaolo have created a very definite and recognisable  "look" that moves with the times.Very traditional Belfast coats,DB jackets,English shoes ect ,but in interesting colours and fabrics that bring them up to date and worn in a very Italian style.
IMO,J.Simon had that chance back in the 60-70's but hasn't been able to make it his own and build on it.
If anyone needs reassuring about wearing jeans into



their 60's,then they need look no further than Lino...



Is it that elusive (to us Brits) sprezzatura that sets Italians apart? A kind of art that is so natural to them and seems to require no effort.
post #15296 of 18908

how did the Pitti Uomo dudes creep into the skinhead thread?    arrggggh!

 

I count on you guys keeping this thread legit: where are the high collar button downs, 3-button jackets and sta-prests?

post #15297 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
 

how did the Pitti Uomo dudes creep into the skinhead thread?    arrggggh!

 

I count on you guys keeping this thread legit: where are the high collar button downs, 3-button jackets and sta-prests?

 

I think it's relevant  as influential retailers have so much latent power and can dictate so much.The Mod/Suedehead/Ivy look can be worn by all ages and for life,as has been seen within this thread ,but to carry it on convincingly  requires style,imagination an adaptation IMO.J.Simon is one of those revered retailers ,in that he had the foresight and influence.Paul Smith is another,but took things to another level.Al Bazar is in many ways comparable to J.Simon,an innovative independent,,but continues to be fresh and interesting,giving it's customer a reason to buy, which sadly it seems J.Simon does not.

More than that though,they offer a believable option for a Suedehead approaching 60.That is those who understandably do not wish to be a caricature of themselves at 15,yet find the intrigue and passion that they once had for dressing distinctly,creatively, alive and well.I was thinking earlier about the different retailers outside of Jermyne St/Bond St who the average bloke on the street went to.The Cecil Gee,Woodhouse,Reiss,Village Gates,Take 6's etc and how admirable it is when a fierce independent retailer follows style rather than fashion.Very few exist today that come to mind? Actually David Levine opposite J.Simon is one i remember in London ( if still there !)? Scott Crolla was another favourite.

I suppose my point is that the whole Mod-Suede look that at the time was a fashion, has transcended the flippent vagaries of youth trends and remained a solid,strong ,core style.

The sartorial liberties taken by later adopters have not sat well with anyone who walked before,and hence the desire to not look back,but forward with a keen eye to the past.

post #15298 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post


Is it that elusive (to us Brits) sprezzatura that sets Italians apart? A kind of art that is so natural to them and seems to require no effort.

 

Not at all.I think we had plenty of it in the past.The direct influence of Mod to me is undeniable.Certain buttons left undone,length/width of trousers to show shoes,layering of pieces,jeans with suit jackets,accessories,scarves,sunglasses,etc.Unfortunately we seem to have lost it for the most part and it has been diluted down to wearing the collar on a Polo/Rugby shirt turned up and looking a cunt.

post #15299 of 18908

^ Yeah, I was sorta kidding. It's just that Lino and those other Pitti guys seem to have so much fashion/internet exposure that all I see is their sprezzy, flashy side before any references to the more sober Ivy look, let alone the utilitarian skin/suede look. I'm not knowlegable enough to really know*, but I suppose there was always a sense of Italian flash (tonic suits, sharkskin, bit loafers, etc) to the Mods and maybe even to the earlier jazz-head Modernists' style. So, maybe Al Bazar and other stores like them are direct style descendents. I'm just more drawn to the Ivy American look -- even if find it looks really dumpy if not done right.

 

* fwiw I did play in a mod revival band in high school :-)

post #15300 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post


Is it that elusive (to us Brits) sprezzatura that sets Italians apart? A kind of art that is so natural to them and seems to require no effort.

 

I know what you mean, I have travelled in Italy and I have admired Italians style ( men and women ) sometimes very simple items but worn to great effect.

However as you said the other day it is knowing the difference between what you may like and what will suit you,and although I think that the Milanese blokes look great their look would not suit me ( I probably couldn't pull it off ) the clothes are a step to far IMO.

I asked a question that no one has picked up on I hope that you will,why didn't semi/half brogues become popular "back in the day" ?  I have seen the picture of your Church half brogues so you obviously like the style.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead