or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1010

post #15136 of 19331

Yeah I agree that's why I thought I would share this compilation with the originals its a very interesting mix indeed.

post #15137 of 19331
Richard Bradford / man in a suitcase...made an impression on me.
post #15138 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Is there one song that epitomizes the 60s or the 70s to you ? ( not just M-o-M ) I am guessing a few will say Liquidator, but maybe some might say something earlier or later....you only get one choice though.

where do you go to my lovely - Peter Sarstedt

took me on a journey through Europe before I knew Europe existed.
The back streets of Naples remain one of my favourite places in the world,to this day.
post #15139 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Is there one song that epitomizes the 60s or the 70s to you ? ( not just M-o-M ) I am guessing a few will say Liquidator, but maybe some might say something earlier or later....you only get one choice though.

I'm shtumm.
post #15140 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


Only if one accepts your precise definition of it. Back then we simply called it Soul, and it included mainstream Memphis and Detroit black music. What became known as 'Northern Soul' tended not to include the mainstream Stax/Atlantic/Motown tracks that had been popular in my day.

The perfect mix now for a 'do', from my point of view, would be Stax, Atlantic, early and mid-Motown (before it got too glossy); plus some stuff from the Chess and Sue labels and other minor labels; plus lots of late ska, rocksteady, and early early reggae; plus a handful of the better 'Northern' tracks.

A question for my colleagues from 'back in the day'. Did you ever notice any difference in the way the police and courts treated kids from different backgrounds? I can remember when a small bunch of lads I knew vaguely broke into a house in early 1969. They were nicked. They were all late mods / skins from the same general area, same crew. One of them was a middle-class lad. The court let him off lightly because of his 'promising prospects at school'. I can remember being glad for him but thinking it was tight on the other blokes (maybe there were other circumstances, but I didn't get to hear about them).

 

As I said, see my post on page 1002......

 

This is what always happens when you stray into the minefield that is 'Northern' Soul.

post #15141 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Is there one song that epitomizes the 60s or the 70s to you ? ( not just M-o-M ) I am guessing a few will say Liquidator, but maybe some might say something earlier or later....you only get one choice though.

The song that brings back 1969 in particular for me is "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)" by Steam. Always reminds me of the Kippax terrace singing along to the chorus "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, King Colin". (Colin Bell, probably City's best-ever player.)
post #15142 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post

The song that brings back 1969 in particular for me is "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)" by Steam. Always reminds me of the Kippax terrace singing along to the chorus "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, King Colin". (Colin Bell, probably City's best-ever player.)
Liquidator, Arthur Conley's 'Funky Street' and... Thunderclap Newman with 'Something in the Air'. shog[1].gif

Re: pic...very smart, as is to be expected from you, Roy.
post #15143 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Just got to add with Tailors as they get popular they sub out work ..and thats where it goes wrong....greedy cnuts will not turn down work...George over in North London subs out work sometimes and I had to pull him about one of my suits he made me......

You have to watch em...they give you two fittings and if its still not right you will have a fight on your hands...,

 

I think I am still in the honeymoon stage with my recently discovered tailor, Roger Crawford but even he quibbled when I took some trousers back for a small alteration after a few wears.....He almost took it as an affront to his craftsmanship.

post #15144 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post


The song that brings back 1969 in particular for me is "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)" by Steam. Always reminds me of the Kippax terrace singing along to the chorus "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, King Colin". (Colin Bell, probably City's best-ever player.)

 

I remember them playing that at Eastville,night matches and great wafts of gas coming from the gasworks behiend the ground....

BTW did you ever hear of a City girl known as Kippax Debbie ? supposed to go toe to toe with opposition lads.

post #15145 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

I remember them playing that at Eastville,night matches and great wafts of gas coming from the gasworks behiend the ground....
BTW did you ever hear of a City girl known as Kippax Debbie ? supposed to go toe to toe with opposition lads.
Could have been any one of thousands at City... whereas at Old Trafford, all of our girlies were like beauty queens. biggrin.gif
post #15146 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post



Borehamwood is the home of Elstree Film Studios...Maybe Terry Spencer was working out of there.



I spent 12 resent years in a village a couple of miles north of Borehamwood... Talking to the locals they had a big skinhead gang at the time..with their main rivals the Burnt Oak Mob,...Borehamwood was one of the New Towns build in the 50s/early 60s....Most of the people came out of the slums of N /NW London. ...One of the photos that Terry Spencer took was outside The Red Lion Pub, which i posted on here about 500 pages ago.

Terry Spencer did some nice photo's of Mods in the mid 60s..I also believe he did some photos of Punks.

 


Hi,
Terry first went to the Arsenal to take photos of Skinheads and got chatting to some young skinheads from Borehamwood. so he came down on a Friday night to take photos of these young Skinheads and that was one of the photo's outside the Red Lion pub. after he had finished taking the photos he popped in the Red Lion for a pint and us older Skinheads was in the Pub drinking and playing darts. and that is how he got talking to us and that is how the photo of us walking passed the Hippies came about.
post #15147 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post



Gel Boy you must know Dolly,biggrin.gif

 


Dolly Who ?
post #15148 of 19331

Given the recent discussion about girls I thought I would share this pic from Facebook which has the following title:

 

'A conversation between a mod and someone who looks like a suffragette, February 1964' !

 

post #15149 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gel boy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post



Gel Boy you must know Dolly,biggrin.gif

 


Dolly Who ?

Just a face from around Borehamwood.
post #15150 of 19331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gel boy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post



Borehamwood is the home of Elstree Film Studios...Maybe Terry Spencer was working out of there.



I spent 12 resent years in a village a couple of miles north of Borehamwood... Talking to the locals they had a big skinhead gang at the time..with their main rivals the Burnt Oak Mob,...Borehamwood was one of the New Towns build in the 50s/early 60s....Most of the people came out of the slums of N /NW London. ...One of the photos that Terry Spencer took was outside The Red Lion Pub, which i posted on here about 500 pages ago.

Terry Spencer did some nice photo's of Mods in the mid 60s..I also believe he did some photos of Punks.

 


Hi,
Terry first went to the Arsenal to take photos of Skinheads and got chatting to some young skinheads from Borehamwood. so he came down on a Friday night to take photos of these young Skinheads and that was one of the photo's outside the Red Lion pub. after he had finished taking the photos he popped in the Red Lion for a pint and us older Skinheads was in the Pub drinking and playing darts. and that is how he got talking to us and that is how the photo of us walking passed the Hippies came about.

Thanks for the story Gel boy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead