or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 980

post #14686 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Lasttye..I reckon that's true of a lot of people with fashion,they just move onto the next one.
con man was asking about the suits from Adam of London,i was looking at their website and I like the look of some of it,whats your opinion of there stuff ?,I think you said you have been there.
I drove up to Bicester outlet centre today ( I thought it was a bit disappointing ),but I saw those Churchs Graftons that flyfronted put up a picture of,now I thought they were a lot better in the pictue than in "real life"...there was some plains in there and some toe cap derbys that were sh1t hot IMO,real nice heavy ones.

Cernabbas I lived in Notting Hill for 24 years and never popped into Adams until a few years ago...what i saw for what you pay they are ok...To be honest a off the peg suit is often better put together than a bespoke suit...being 6ft and not a fat fcuk..off the peg always looks ok on me.

Back in the 60s you had to go bespoke..to get the skinhead style....once the skinhead craze picked up you could get off the peg...but the problem with off the peg they will use less material...for example The jacket would be shorter than a true skinhead suit and the trousers would be flat front rather than having a single pleat.

Of all the suits i have today I am only really happy with one and thats a nice Merino wool subtle POW,smile.gif

Regarding the Church's Graffton I had a Pair they was like battleships..bloody bullitt proof...nice shoe though.
post #14687 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


Cernabbas I lived in Notting Hill for 24 years and never popped into Adams until a few years ago...what i saw for what you pay they are ok...To be honest a off the peg suit is often better put together than a bespoke suit...being 6ft and not a fat fcuk..off the peg always looks ok on me.

Back in the 60s you had to go bespoke..to get the skinhead style....once the skinhead craze picked up you could get off the peg...but the problem with off the peg they will use less material...for example The jacket would be shorter than a true skinhead suit and the trousers would be flat front rather than having a single pleat.

Of all the suits i have today I am only really happy with one and thats a nice Merino wool subtle POW,smile.gif

Regarding the Church's Graffton I had a Pair they was like battleships..bloody bullitt proof...nice shoe though.

Lasttye.Thanks for that,its good to have some 1st hand information about shops,the problem with the internet is that they can make almost anything look good in a picture.

I asked this morning about tonic harringtons,i saw them for sale online and I thought some looked ok,i did see one in 70 or 71 a kid in my year had a dark red/black one ( I never saw another one even in a shop ),do you remember seeing one ? or tonic raincoats ? ( I saw 2 of them ).

post #14688 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Lasttye.Thanks for that,its good to have some 1st hand information about shops,the problem with the internet is that they can make almost anything look good in a picture.
I asked this morning about tonic harringtons,i saw them for sale online and I thought some looked ok,i did see one in 70 or 71 a kid in my year had a dark red/black one ( I never saw another one even in a shop ),do you remember seeing one ? or tonic raincoats ? ( I saw 2 of them ).

When you look at Adams suits on line they obviously pin them in the rear to make the jacket look waisted...Yep Tonic Harringtons late 70/71 mostly worn by the little skinheads, We wore Sky Jump in the early days..but again as every swinging dick became a skinhead...Stuff would appear down the market and thats where the Tonic Harrington came from...although they looked tonic they was polyester?
Never saw a Tonic Raincoat but would not be surprised...as all sorts of stuff came out of the markets.smile.gif
post #14689 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Lasttye.Thanks for that,its good to have some 1st hand information about shops,the problem with the internet is that they can make almost anything look good in a picture.
I asked this morning about tonic harringtons,i saw them for sale online and I thought some looked ok,i did see one in 70 or 71 a kid in my year had a dark red/black one ( I never saw another one even in a shop ),do you remember seeing one ? or tonic raincoats ? ( I saw 2 of them ).

The "two tone" Macs were normally sold by Marks and Spencers or places like that.I never had one nor a "two tone"Harrington(these came out later-with POW Check and Dog Tooth Harringtons).
post #14690 of 18733
Adam looks ok by me,but because I am a fat git-he does not do my size. smile.gif
post #14691 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

The "two tone" Macs were normally sold by Marks and Spencers or places like that.I never had one nor a "two tone"Harrington(these came out later-with POW Check and Dog Tooth Harringtons).

Forgot about the Dog tooth and POW ..Elephants memory browniecj.smile.gif
post #14692 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

When you look at Adams suits on line they obviously pin them in the rear to make the jacket look waisted...Yep Tonic Harringtons late 70/71 mostly worn by the little skinheads, We wore Sky Jump in the early days..but again as every swinging dick became a skinhead...Stuff would appear down the market and thats where the Tonic Harrington came from...although they looked tonic they was polyester?
Never saw a Tonic Raincoat but would not be surprised...as all sorts of stuff came out of the markets.smile.gif

Looking at the Adam Site,Lasttye,it does remind me of the old trick of the Suit Salesman on the Market-holding a bunch of cloth at the back and saying"It fits you like a glove".......wink.gif
post #14693 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Forgot about the Dog tooth and POW ..Elephants memory browniecj.smile.gif

biggrin.gif
post #14694 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


The "two tone" Macs were normally sold by Marks and Spencers or places like that.I never had one nor a "two tone"Harrington(these came out later-with POW Check and Dog Tooth Harringtons).

 

browniecj..I reckon you are right about  the macs,i only remember seeing two of them,one was red/black the other was blue/black,they both had fly fronts...I wish I could get one now,i saw some green ones on John Simons website a while back.

post #14695 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Looking at the Adam Site,Lasttye,it does remind me of the old trick of the Suit Salesman on the Market-holding a bunch of cloth at the back and saying"It fits you like a glove".......wink.gif

Just edited..Yes I saw that I was down Petticoat Lane with me Old Man . a old Jew boy doing that to a bloke as he stood in from of the mirror,biggrin.gif
post #14696 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


I was thinking the same thing...Like the Jewish bloke standing behind you while you looked in the mirror ..and he had a fist full of material behind your back,biggrin.gif

 

You wont believe this,but when I came up to London to get my first flight jacket something like that happened to me.I said that I wanted a green jacket like all the Chelsea fans were wearing and this old jewish bloke said "ah the official Chelsea hooligan jacket" ....then when I tried it on the sleeves were a mile too short,he said that was how they were worn,when I said that I wanted sleeves to my wrists not my elbows,he said "well if you want to look like an idiot,its up to you"...f#cking brilliant salesman routine ( I never bought his rotten jacket though ),that was over 35 years ago and I still smile about it now,you don't  get characters like that these days.

post #14697 of 18733
I was looking at getting a Prince of Wales check from Adams, but realised their trouser waist size only goes up to 34" and so therefore because I'm carrying a bit (ok a lot) of excess timber, they are a no no for me
post #14698 of 18733
Quote:
Originally Posted by con man View Post

I was looking at getting a Prince of Wales check from Adams, but realised their trouser waist size only goes up to 34" and so therefore because I'm carrying a bit (ok a lot) of excess timber, they are a no no for me

 

Double check that con man,because it isn't how I understood their sizes ( it could well be me that's wrong mind ).

post #14699 of 18733

Early 80's Vintage shops had "Two Tone" Macs.Use to see them out and about on folks in da clubs.Always liked them.Never had one.Today they are most likely very expensive.

post #14700 of 18733
Will do. I do tend to read things wrong, I hope you are right because, I like the look of their suits, I do know someone who had a bespoke off them and it was very nice indeed, liking the look of their shirts to and a very reasonable price....had a look at Jump the Gun to, but are pricey compared and have heard not to good reports of their gear
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead