or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 969

post #14521 of 18777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Shand View Post
 

A lot of Chelsea's faces to this day come from Acton , Bush , Kilburn and the Edgware rd as well as our traditional south london strongholds such as pimlico , vauxhall , battersea , wandsworth , stockwell and brixton all very multi racial . I think the right wing element at SB was due to 1960s / 1970's  white flight from south london out to the outer boroughs and as in most cases the kids took on the parents bigotry . Our European night flags ( there cotton not plastic ) embaressment is matched by QPR's ridiculous playing of pop music when a goals scored and everyone joining in .. to be truthful we probably have 90% more in common than we do with the melts who go to football these days 

post #14522 of 18777
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

A lot of Chelsea's faces to this day come from Acton , Bush , Kilburn and the Edgware rd as well as our traditional south london strongholds such as pimlico , vauxhall , battersea , wandsworth , stockwell and brixton all very multi racial . I think the right wing element at SB was due to 1960s / 1970's  white flight from south london out to the outer boroughs and as in most cases the kids took on the parents bigotry . Our European night flags ( there cotton not plastic ) embaressment is matched by QPR's ridiculous playing of pop music when a goals scored and everyone joining in .. to be truthful we probably have 90% more in common than we do with the melts who go to football these days 

Flyfronted....I don't get your above post .... You mention Right Wing, Multiracial, White flight ,Bigotry ...what you on about mate?
post #14523 of 18777

1969 skinheads in coventry shopping precinct 1969

 

(Taken from Friends Reunited /Music/my Tribes/ Mod to Suedehead)  "Jimmy Beacroft, Pop Robson, Johnny Williams, Alan Kingdom and Sammy Pratt to name just a few...the Daily Mirror interviewed us as we had all just had our heads shaved and were off to the Rock House (Locarno) as I remember....great days but oh what a long time ago...

 

These are the same lads as in the photos posted by EK77 previously (#7481 + #6823) with a little more info.

 

Grandad vest w/v-neck  lambswool just as I remember it.


Edited by Gsvs5 - 9/5/13 at 7:01pm
post #14524 of 18777
Re the Breaking of Bumbo pics. I went to many football matches back then but never knew anyone who would be seen dead wearing a rosette. They must have paid these guys good money!
post #14525 of 18777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


Flyfronted....I don't get your above post .... You mention Right Wing, Multiracial, White flight ,Bigotry ...what you on about mate?

 

i was replying to Mr Shand's post 

' One major difference back in the day was Chelsea's large far right/NF following which obviously carried on with the newer incarnations combat 18 etc. and all that King Billy, Glasgow Rangers, Linfield nonsense. We never had that. Maybe it was because traditionally most of our support comes Notting Hill, Paddington, Grove, Latimer Rd, Kensal Rise, Harlesden, Willesden, Bush which are very mixed areas with in particular large West Indian and Irish communities? Either way it set us apart and both clubs have always had very different identies which can only be a good thing when you're practically on each others doorsteps' 

post #14526 of 18777

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post
 

 

i was replying to Mr Shand's post 

' One major difference back in the day was Chelsea's large far right/NF following which obviously carried on with the newer incarnations combat 18 etc. and all that King Billy, Glasgow Rangers, Linfield nonsense. We never had that. Maybe it was because traditionally most of our support comes Notting Hill, Paddington, Grove, Latimer Rd, Kensal Rise, Harlesden, Willesden, Bush which are very mixed areas with in particular large West Indian and Irish communities? Either way it set us apart and both clubs have always had very different identies which can only be a good thing when you're practically on each others doorsteps' 

post #14527 of 18777
When i was a regular down Chelsea 68/73 ....a lot of Chelsea had Irish backgrounds so their was affiliation to Celtic, I supposed this all changed in the 80s as you say Flyfronted Right Groups like C18 and The NF..which was popular with the second wave of 79/ 80s Skinheads...

As we know with the Original Skinheads we lived in a Racist society ...Racism was the norm...at the same time people was not necessary racist....back in the 60s/early 70s most the London Football Mobs had a Black lad in the Ranks and a few of them was Leaders...without mentioning their names on here though,biggrin.gif
Edited by Lasttye - 9/6/13 at 5:30am
post #14528 of 18777

After Ed Vaughan put up the picture of the fringed loafers I had hoped that someone would tell us how to stop the fringes from curling...I saw a mention on another thread about a kilte press,but I am not sure if this was a p1ss take.

Anyway I had that dopey song going around in my head  and where she says "fringe and buckle stompers",i was thinking I don't know if I would call loafers "stompers",more likely to fall off in a trouble situation ( IMO ).....So I started looking around for something a bit more substantial with a fringe and buckle and I came across the Charles Tyrwhitt brown luxury calf fringe monk shoe ( sorry I cant get the picture here ),they are sort of a loafer/brogue/monk shoe cross ( with a fringe )..I think that they look good and maybe a bit more likely to be called a stomper ?.

post #14529 of 18777

 

 

Florsheim Yuma's.Anyone (Brownie?) ever have a pair of these back in the day? I always admired them,but never found or had a pair.A little more pointed than the weejuns and I always associated them with the early Mods/Jazz boys.Always remind me off Sammy and the Rat Pack.

post #14530 of 18777

 

Here you go mate.Those straps look a bit too busy for my tastes.Mind you,if you take away the straps and fringe,they look almost identical to my very first pr around 1968/69.

post #14531 of 18777

Talking of shoes.I don't like wearing my leather soled shoes in the snow or rain.These CT Plains look like a decent option for the winter ?

post #14532 of 18777

Gsvs5..Thanks for the picture. Yes maybe one strap a bit thicker would be better.

I like the dainite soles,got a pair of Loake Kemptons with them,very good and comfortable,( a lot of blokes on here say no and they prefer leather soles ),I think that leather soles can suck up water in the rain and you have to go careful drying them out,IMO.

I am looking for a pair of plains,i like the look of the Paraboot Proust but I have only seen pictures and I would like to see the real thing.Those CT plains look good,Loake do one ( I think it is a plain version of the Royal ) I think they do a dainite soles  (just looked and they are leather soles ).

Some hefty reductions on shoes on the Charles Tyrwhitt site,some are made in England,i don't know by who.


Edited by cerneabbas - 9/6/13 at 8:42am
post #14533 of 18777

I prefer leather soles, but it's true that it's a problem with rain. Some good makes does nice models with a plastic sole on top of a leather sole, that can be an option. 

In some cases, for example if the leather sole is thin, your cobbler can glue a rubber sole ("Topy" like) over a leather sole. But i think it's of no use on a thick leather sole, and that it's not good for the shoe. Church won't resole your shoes if you added a thin rubber sole...

post #14534 of 18777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek77 View Post

found these on facebook... from the movie "Breaking of Bumbo" 1970
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Breaking_of_Bumbo








Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post




Cannot remember this Film,and for very good reason-it looked cr*p.Typical of the late `69/`70 arty,farty look on the "Chelsea Set".Not the Football but Kings Road.M-o-M is right you would never(in a million years) wear a Rosette inside or outside a Football Ground.Scruffy bleeders,cannot wear their Braces properly.


Florsheim Yuma's.Anyone (Brownie?) ever have a pair of these back in the day? I always admired them,but never found or had a pair.A little more pointed than the weejuns and I always associated them with the early Mods/Jazz boys.Always remind me off Sammy and the Rat Pack.

I have seen these shoes - maybe in J.Simons Shop(Richmond).I have always liked the Style.
post #14535 of 18777

On this site herring.co.uk there are quite a lot of shoes with rubber soles ( others with leather ) from some good makes.

I noticed the Herring Lydney a tan longwing brogue boot made in Spain with a rubber sole,looks good ( IMO )....£145 that seems a good price.

The temperature here dropped last night so its time to think about winter clothes and shoes in general...again IMO....not too long ago that I was complaining that it was too hot to dress smartly !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead