Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:05 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Mod to Suedehead - Page 958post #14356 of 216018/24/13 at 12:00pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #14357 of 216018/24/13 at 12:10pmClouseau.I have seen the Ma1 by Schott in leather ( looks ok IMO ) but these jackets on e bay are not Ma1,they have a collar and a chest pocket ( i thought like the ones you pictured ),i thought that they looked black...OK i checked on e bay and it says black,they are advertised as Ma1 leather ( which they are not ).I know some people on here dont like leather jackets,its all down to the individual ? i quite like the Ma1 in leather,the A2 ( Schott and other makes ) and the Solatio looks ok in pictures same as the French and German air force jackets....of course liking them in pictures and wearing one is not the same thing.
Edited by cerneabbas - 8/24/13 at 12:34pmpost #14358 of 216018/24/13 at 12:36pmpost #14359 of 216018/24/13 at 12:41pmGood finds Ed and Loempiavreter, here's another from '70 -
Gill, River Thames July 1970.
Grown out crop , boy's shirt, Levi's cords.
Nothing to do with the thread, but this forthcoming BBC2 drama looks interesting -
Birmingham's Peaky Blinders. (1890-1920)
Named for their practice of sewing razor blades into the peaks of their caps, they make money from illegal betting, protection and the black market.
'.....metal toe-capped boots, bell bottom trousers “22 inches around the bottom and 15 inches around the knee”, a silk “daff” twisted twice round their necks and tied at the ends and a donkey fringe of hair brushed down in a curl over the foreheads culminating in a peak over one eye. The look was topped off with a hat was worn on the side of the head to show the hair on the other side done in a quiff....'
Edited by bunty - 8/24/13 at 1:43pmpost #14360 of 216018/24/13 at 1:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by cerneabbas
Clouseau.I have seen the Ma1 by Schott in leather ( looks ok IMO ) but these jackets on e bay are not Ma1,they have a collar and a chest pocket ( i thought like the ones you pictured ),i thought that they looked black...OK i checked on e bay and it says black,they are advertised as Ma1 leather ( which they are not ).I know some people on here dont like leather jackets,its all down to the individual ? i quite like the Ma1 in leather,the A2 ( Schott and other makes ) and the Solatio looks ok in pictures same as the French and German air force jackets....of course liking them in pictures and wearing one is not the same thing.
In fact, on the French air force jacket, it is not a chest pocket but a place where to fix a badge with name, rank, etc.
The leather jacket A2 as always been very popular in France, as in UK i think, probably because we had surplus from American army (and USAF) after the war. My brother had one in the late sixties. And they are still very popular. Like you, i like them but i think i wouldn't wear one. I like the ones with the back painted, like the "Flying tiger" squad. Avirex in the time, and Cockpit USA now, make good repros.
Edited by Clouseau - 8/24/13 at 1:27pmpost #14361 of 216018/24/13 at 1:42pm
If you are into fashion and 70s gear and, anything 70s - have a read of "Something to Do 1972" - Heres the link on Amazon - you have to upload it to your Kindle, there's no hard copy yet but is due out soon. (Sorry, for some reason I cant insert an image - I keep getting a message like 'unable to be parsed' whatever that means?).post #14362 of 216018/24/13 at 1:55pm
If you are into fashion and 70s gear and, anything 70s - have a read of "Something to Do 1972" - Heres the link on Amazon - you have to upload it to your Kindle, there's no hard copy yet but is due out soon. (Sorry, for some reason I cant insert an image - I keep getting a message like 'unable to be parsed' whatever that means?).post #14363 of 216018/24/13 at 2:06pmpost #14364 of 216018/24/13 at 3:27pmpost #14365 of 216018/24/13 at 3:37pmpost #14366 of 216018/24/13 at 4:10pmQuote:Oh yes!
That, I recognise.
Welcome back, Roy!
Lots of '!!!" from me - and i apologise - but those of us who know... 'know'!
And I did have my antique 'Levi; antique jacket in '69..
Edit: Cockernees - we were always behind!!!!!!!)post #14367 of 216018/24/13 at 4:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by bunty
Good finds Ed and Loempiavreter, here's another from '70 -
Gill, River Thames July 1970.
Grown out crop , boy's shirt, Levi's cords.
We did that - didn't we?
Unless you had a fat bird - and they were rare - it was hard work for the girlies to fit into anything. Love the pic, BTW!!!!
Bizarrely, I used to swap (too big for me, then!) crew-necks with my bird - at the time - who had huge knockers!post #14368 of 216018/24/13 at 10:19pmQuote:
Beautiful bomber. Nowt wrong with the look you're describing; classic!post #14369 of 216018/24/13 at 11:55pmA2 leather jackets are timeless like brogues.A2s have been made since the 1930s ( i think )and are still made now.I think that the Schott is the best looking one ( IMO ) about now,they are around £600 new, so a bit like a sheepskin back in the day you dont want to take it off in the pub and put it on a chair because it wont be there when you leave !.I think that it would be £600 well spent though,looked after it will last for years and look better as it gets older,there are thousands of vintage A2s for sale but like a lot of vintage kit ( American longwings or Levis for instance ) it seems a bit of a minefield.post #14370 of 216018/24/13 at 11:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan
Maybe somebody is having a giraffe?
Failing that: I'm sure there is a village somewhere missing it's idiot.
To be fair, perhaps one of the company's 'bots' has identified our little piece of the web (because of some earlier mods/rockers posts, perhaps?) as somewhere they may have a market... wrongly, IMHO, obviously.
It looks like something The Village People might had worn.
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 42 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 42 seconds ago
- › 40 year old socially retarded - what can I get away with wearing? 48 seconds ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › MTO/ Bespoke shoe plans for 2015? 3 minutes ago
- › Canali/Corneliani/Hickey Freeman suits for sale - 42L 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...