Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:46 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 958post #14356 of 234388/24/13 at 12:00pmpost #14357 of 234388/24/13 at 12:10pmClouseau.I have seen the Ma1 by Schott in leather ( looks ok IMO ) but these jackets on e bay are not Ma1,they have a collar and a chest pocket ( i thought like the ones you pictured ),i thought that they looked black...OK i checked on e bay and it says black,they are advertised as Ma1 leather ( which they are not ).I know some people on here dont like leather jackets,its all down to the individual ? i quite like the Ma1 in leather,the A2 ( Schott and other makes ) and the Solatio looks ok in pictures same as the French and German air force jackets....of course liking them in pictures and wearing one is not the same thing.
Edited by cerneabbas - 8/24/13 at 12:34pmpost #14358 of 234388/24/13 at 12:36pmpost #14359 of 234388/24/13 at 12:41pmGood finds Ed and Loempiavreter, here's another from '70 -
Gill, River Thames July 1970.
Grown out crop , boy's shirt, Levi's cords.
Nothing to do with the thread, but this forthcoming BBC2 drama looks interesting -
Birmingham's Peaky Blinders. (1890-1920)
Named for their practice of sewing razor blades into the peaks of their caps, they make money from illegal betting, protection and the black market.
'.....metal toe-capped boots, bell bottom trousers “22 inches around the bottom and 15 inches around the knee”, a silk “daff” twisted twice round their necks and tied at the ends and a donkey fringe of hair brushed down in a curl over the foreheads culminating in a peak over one eye. The look was topped off with a hat was worn on the side of the head to show the hair on the other side done in a quiff....'
Edited by bunty - 8/24/13 at 1:43pmpost #14360 of 234388/24/13 at 1:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by cerneabbas
Clouseau.I have seen the Ma1 by Schott in leather ( looks ok IMO ) but these jackets on e bay are not Ma1,they have a collar and a chest pocket ( i thought like the ones you pictured ),i thought that they looked black...OK i checked on e bay and it says black,they are advertised as Ma1 leather ( which they are not ).I know some people on here dont like leather jackets,its all down to the individual ? i quite like the Ma1 in leather,the A2 ( Schott and other makes ) and the Solatio looks ok in pictures same as the French and German air force jackets....of course liking them in pictures and wearing one is not the same thing.
In fact, on the French air force jacket, it is not a chest pocket but a place where to fix a badge with name, rank, etc.
The leather jacket A2 as always been very popular in France, as in UK i think, probably because we had surplus from American army (and USAF) after the war. My brother had one in the late sixties. And they are still very popular. Like you, i like them but i think i wouldn't wear one. I like the ones with the back painted, like the "Flying tiger" squad. Avirex in the time, and Cockpit USA now, make good repros.
Edited by Clouseau - 8/24/13 at 1:27pmpost #14361 of 234388/24/13 at 1:42pm
If you are into fashion and 70s gear and, anything 70s - have a read of "Something to Do 1972" - Heres the link on Amazon - you have to upload it to your Kindle, there's no hard copy yet but is due out soon. (Sorry, for some reason I cant insert an image - I keep getting a message like 'unable to be parsed' whatever that means?).post #14362 of 234388/24/13 at 1:55pm
If you are into fashion and 70s gear and, anything 70s - have a read of "Something to Do 1972" - Heres the link on Amazon - you have to upload it to your Kindle, there's no hard copy yet but is due out soon. (Sorry, for some reason I cant insert an image - I keep getting a message like 'unable to be parsed' whatever that means?).post #14363 of 234388/24/13 at 2:06pmpost #14364 of 234388/24/13 at 3:27pmpost #14365 of 234388/24/13 at 3:37pmpost #14366 of 234388/24/13 at 4:10pmQuote:Oh yes!
That, I recognise.
Welcome back, Roy!
Lots of '!!!" from me - and i apologise - but those of us who know... 'know'!
And I did have my antique 'Levi; antique jacket in '69..
Edit: Cockernees - we were always behind!!!!!!!)post #14367 of 234388/24/13 at 4:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by bunty
Good finds Ed and Loempiavreter, here's another from '70 -
Gill, River Thames July 1970.
Grown out crop , boy's shirt, Levi's cords.
We did that - didn't we?
Unless you had a fat bird - and they were rare - it was hard work for the girlies to fit into anything. Love the pic, BTW!!!!
Bizarrely, I used to swap (too big for me, then!) crew-necks with my bird - at the time - who had huge knockers!post #14368 of 234388/24/13 at 10:19pmQuote:
Beautiful bomber. Nowt wrong with the look you're describing; classic!post #14369 of 234388/24/13 at 11:55pmA2 leather jackets are timeless like brogues.A2s have been made since the 1930s ( i think )and are still made now.I think that the Schott is the best looking one ( IMO ) about now,they are around £600 new, so a bit like a sheepskin back in the day you dont want to take it off in the pub and put it on a chair because it wont be there when you leave !.I think that it would be £600 well spent though,looked after it will last for years and look better as it gets older,there are thousands of vintage A2s for sale but like a lot of vintage kit ( American longwings or Levis for instance ) it seems a bit of a minefield.post #14370 of 234388/24/13 at 11:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan
Maybe somebody is having a giraffe?
Failing that: I'm sure there is a village somewhere missing it's idiot.
To be fair, perhaps one of the company's 'bots' has identified our little piece of the web (because of some earlier mods/rockers posts, perhaps?) as somewhere they may have a market... wrongly, IMHO, obviously.
It looks like something The Village People might had worn.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Motorcycles 26 seconds ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 1 minute ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 4 minutes ago
- › Do Edward Green Top Drawer Shoes Fit Different Than EG RTW??? 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 11 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 11 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 14 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 17 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 21 minutes ago
- › Shirts: Epaulet, RRL, 3Sixteen (slim Medium) 21 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts