Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:30 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 12:28 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Isaia SC/Polo/vintage biker jacket/Spiewak/Incotex/To Boot/Polo (C&J) boots - DROPS Last post on 4/10/11 at 5:58pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 958post #14356 of 200568/24/13 at 12:00pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #14357 of 200568/24/13 at 12:10pmClouseau.I have seen the Ma1 by Schott in leather ( looks ok IMO ) but these jackets on e bay are not Ma1,they have a collar and a chest pocket ( i thought like the ones you pictured ),i thought that they looked black...OK i checked on e bay and it says black,they are advertised as Ma1 leather ( which they are not ).I know some people on here dont like leather jackets,its all down to the individual ? i quite like the Ma1 in leather,the A2 ( Schott and other makes ) and the Solatio looks ok in pictures same as the French and German air force jackets....of course liking them in pictures and wearing one is not the same thing.
Edited by cerneabbas - 8/24/13 at 12:34pmpost #14358 of 200568/24/13 at 12:36pmpost #14359 of 200568/24/13 at 12:41pmGood finds Ed and Loempiavreter, here's another from '70 -
Gill, River Thames July 1970.
Grown out crop , boy's shirt, Levi's cords.
Nothing to do with the thread, but this forthcoming BBC2 drama looks interesting -
Birmingham's Peaky Blinders. (1890-1920)
Named for their practice of sewing razor blades into the peaks of their caps, they make money from illegal betting, protection and the black market.
'.....metal toe-capped boots, bell bottom trousers “22 inches around the bottom and 15 inches around the knee”, a silk “daff” twisted twice round their necks and tied at the ends and a donkey fringe of hair brushed down in a curl over the foreheads culminating in a peak over one eye. The look was topped off with a hat was worn on the side of the head to show the hair on the other side done in a quiff....'
Edited by bunty - 8/24/13 at 1:43pmpost #14360 of 200568/24/13 at 1:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by cerneabbas
Clouseau.I have seen the Ma1 by Schott in leather ( looks ok IMO ) but these jackets on e bay are not Ma1,they have a collar and a chest pocket ( i thought like the ones you pictured ),i thought that they looked black...OK i checked on e bay and it says black,they are advertised as Ma1 leather ( which they are not ).I know some people on here dont like leather jackets,its all down to the individual ? i quite like the Ma1 in leather,the A2 ( Schott and other makes ) and the Solatio looks ok in pictures same as the French and German air force jackets....of course liking them in pictures and wearing one is not the same thing.
In fact, on the French air force jacket, it is not a chest pocket but a place where to fix a badge with name, rank, etc.
The leather jacket A2 as always been very popular in France, as in UK i think, probably because we had surplus from American army (and USAF) after the war. My brother had one in the late sixties. And they are still very popular. Like you, i like them but i think i wouldn't wear one. I like the ones with the back painted, like the "Flying tiger" squad. Avirex in the time, and Cockpit USA now, make good repros.
Edited by Clouseau - 8/24/13 at 1:27pmpost #14361 of 200568/24/13 at 1:42pm
If you are into fashion and 70s gear and, anything 70s - have a read of "Something to Do 1972" - Heres the link on Amazon - you have to upload it to your Kindle, there's no hard copy yet but is due out soon. (Sorry, for some reason I cant insert an image - I keep getting a message like 'unable to be parsed' whatever that means?).post #14362 of 200568/24/13 at 1:55pm
If you are into fashion and 70s gear and, anything 70s - have a read of "Something to Do 1972" - Heres the link on Amazon - you have to upload it to your Kindle, there's no hard copy yet but is due out soon. (Sorry, for some reason I cant insert an image - I keep getting a message like 'unable to be parsed' whatever that means?).post #14363 of 200568/24/13 at 2:06pmpost #14364 of 200568/24/13 at 3:27pmpost #14365 of 200568/24/13 at 3:37pmpost #14366 of 200568/24/13 at 4:10pmQuote:Oh yes!
That, I recognise.
Welcome back, Roy!
Lots of '!!!" from me - and i apologise - but those of us who know... 'know'!
And I did have my antique 'Levi; antique jacket in '69..
Edit: Cockernees - we were always behind!!!!!!!)post #14367 of 200568/24/13 at 4:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by bunty
Good finds Ed and Loempiavreter, here's another from '70 -
Gill, River Thames July 1970.
Grown out crop , boy's shirt, Levi's cords.
We did that - didn't we?
Unless you had a fat bird - and they were rare - it was hard work for the girlies to fit into anything. Love the pic, BTW!!!!
Bizarrely, I used to swap (too big for me, then!) crew-necks with my bird - at the time - who had huge knockers!post #14368 of 200568/24/13 at 10:19pmQuote:
Beautiful bomber. Nowt wrong with the look you're describing; classic!post #14369 of 200568/24/13 at 11:55pmA2 leather jackets are timeless like brogues.A2s have been made since the 1930s ( i think )and are still made now.I think that the Schott is the best looking one ( IMO ) about now,they are around £600 new, so a bit like a sheepskin back in the day you dont want to take it off in the pub and put it on a chair because it wont be there when you leave !.I think that it would be £600 well spent though,looked after it will last for years and look better as it gets older,there are thousands of vintage A2s for sale but like a lot of vintage kit ( American longwings or Levis for instance ) it seems a bit of a minefield.post #14370 of 200568/24/13 at 11:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan
Maybe somebody is having a giraffe?
Failing that: I'm sure there is a village somewhere missing it's idiot.
To be fair, perhaps one of the company's 'bots' has identified our little piece of the web (because of some earlier mods/rockers posts, perhaps?) as somewhere they may have a market... wrongly, IMHO, obviously.
It looks like something The Village People might had worn.
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
- › Star Trek into Darkness (2013) 23 seconds ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 24 seconds ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 2 minutes ago
- › The Sous VIde Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Casualising the suit 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Caliber India Varsity Letterman Jackets and...
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan