or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 955

post #14311 of 18623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubuntu View Post

I'll watch Quadrophenia, that should give me some ideas

Know i know your on a wind up.

post #14312 of 18623

Thanks for the info browniecj.I knew you would know.I assumed it coincided with the end of Mod.Here is a short news clip on the place.Can't remember where I found it.It may have been posted here earlier. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/pop-show-below

post #14313 of 18623
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


Good question yankmod,I will try and answer it as I remember it.;-

Tiles was an underground Club in Oxford Street,W.1.What was unique to the Club was,you could go there and shop for Clothes and have Coffee etc.,listening to Records being played(I would try and get there during my Lunch Breaks-which in the West End was 1/2 Hour).In the early days Mods used frequent it but as it went on so Psychedelia took over.John Peel(exRadio One Dj)tried to start the "Perfumed Garden" but was told to sod off by the Mods,but eventually Pink Floyd etc.,played there.It lasted until `67-I believe.There were other more influential Clubs about. smile.gif

Was there any of those more influential clubs that haven't been discussed in detail yet that fit in the scope of the topic? as for Peel his "Peel Sessions" are legendary in the realm of underground music and he put many great bands on the map with them no matter what you think of him his influence on music was a great one.

post #14314 of 18623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirryacus View Post

Was there any of those more influential clubs that haven't been discussed in detail yet that fit in the scope of the topic? as for Peel his "Peel Sessions" are legendary in the realm of underground music and he put many great bands on the map with them no matter what you think of him his influence on music was a great one.

Ive a 59 year old black mate who loved the Roaring twenties in carnaby st around 1970 - said you had all sorts in there black gangsters / hookers / rude boys and smart skins .

post #14315 of 18623
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post

I’ve been a long time reader and this book idea has been talked about for years now.... I am fairly gifted in the art of BS smelling and M-O-M set my alarm off a long time ago.


as a long time reader you really just joined this forum on 8/2013??
and you never had anything to say in all the years you were here as a long time reader???
wondering if you are just not man enough to post that under your real name??
so who is the joke now????
post #14316 of 18623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirryacus View Post

Was there any of those more influential clubs that haven't been discussed in detail yet that fit in the scope of the topic? as for Peel his "Peel Sessions" are legendary in the realm of underground music and he put many great bands on the map with them no matter what you think of him his influence on music was a great one.

Peel was influential in the underground scene but, bearing in mind, there was a kick back(in the mid 60s)to what was being played by him and others.There were Mods who did not like what was happening in what they considered "their" clubs.I have already written about the Marquee,where in `67 I went to see the Skatalites and they had a Flower Power Group(The Syn)on as well.One half of the audience wondered "what the bloody hell is this??"There was definitel a split in the crowd that night.Never violence but put a lot of people off.

Clubs that were influential,in Soul and Reggae(to start with) but eventually all Reggae was:-
The Roaring Twenties,Carnaby Street,
The Limbo Club,off Poland Street,
The Ram Jam,Brixton,
The Four Aces,Dalston,
There were others,in other parts of London(but I did not know them all).

There were other Clubs outside of London that had Groups on(between `66/`67) that Mods went out to:-
Ricky Tick,in Windsor,Guildford,Hounslow,Reading and West Wycombe.


You were able to move about and a lot of Clubs that were catering for Mods would open for 2 or 3 weeks then the old bill would close them down.
post #14317 of 18623

Good stuff browniecj.

post #14318 of 18623
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek77 View Post


as a long time reader you really just joined this forum on 8/2013??
and you never had anything to say in all the years you were here as a long time reader???
wondering if you are just not man enough to post that under your real name??
so who is the joke now????

 

 

 

 

Well put, Steffan.  This fella seems full of malarky   Best to ignore his B.S.!!!!!!!

post #14319 of 18623

I told you guys (and girls) a while ago that i bought a Lee Rider Japan at the sales. Here are the pictures (bad light). It's made under license by Edwin, and there is no selvedge (that must explain the cheap price).

 

First pic, with my son's Lee Rider...

 

 

 

 


Edited by Clouseau - 8/21/13 at 1:55am
post #14320 of 18623

Thanks again for the informative replies.

 

I have read that the JTG Sta-Prest's are very slim fitting and as such I feel I am best leaving them alone as I have thick legs.

 

No, I have no association with Fred Perry apart from a half decade obsession with their clothing. It just seemed like a good avatar because it best represents my fashion tastes. If it's against forum rules or anything I apologise, I'll obviously remove it if so.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

Know i know your on a wind up.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what I've done up to and including this post to suggest I am on a wind up. I'm not at all, I have just seen multiple places advise to watch Quadrophenia because it generally contains a lot of the different subcultures etc.

post #14321 of 18623

Ubuntu, some pics of the Uniqlo "sta-prest" type trouser i talked you about. This one is the "straight", there is a "slimfit" version too.

biggrin.gifAnd no, i don't work for Lee or Uniqlo !

 

 

 

 

post #14322 of 18623
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


Peel was influential in the underground scene but, bearing in mind, there was a kick back(in the mid 60s)to what was being played by him and others.There were Mods who did not like what was happening in what they considered "their" clubs.I have already written about the Marquee,where in `67 I went to see the Skatalites and they had a Flower Power Group(The Syn)on as well.One half of the audience wondered "what the bloody hell is this??"There was definitel a split in the crowd that night.Never violence but put a lot of people off.

What exactly was happening he was trying to mix unrelated genres and expect it to go over well? the sessions I like of his are from much later eras and the genres of the bands are outside the scope of this topic for the most part.

post #14323 of 18623
Kevin Keegan wearing what many of 'us' evolved into in 1971 - despite him being at least 3-5 years older than many of us: stack heels, 'lionels', a tank top and (almost certainly) a penny-round collar shirt. (Dunno if were dressing up - or those of his age dressing down.) happy.gif

Classy, eh? (Nice 'barnett', too.)




And on the subject of 'money pockets/change pockets' (back a few pages) here's Bill Shankley wearing a pair of strides with not just the pocket, but a back fastening alternative to a belt... it's 1938!!!!! biggrin.gif (Note: not flat-fronted, but that was the style, then.)

post #14324 of 18623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubuntu View Post

Thanks again for the informative replies.

I have read that the JTG Sta-Prest's are very slim fitting and as such I feel I am best leaving them alone as I have thick legs.




I'm not sure about their sta prest, but most companies that offer internet sales have a fairly simple returns policy, I worked in fashion retail for years and would suggest ordering a few garments you like the look of and just trying them at home for fit etc. - there is so much discrepancy between sizes it can be hard to tell what will fit and what won't. If you're trying out a look you're not too confident with, then trying some ideas out in the privacy of your own home is probably a good way to work towards finding a look you're happy with.
post #14325 of 18623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Kevin Keegan wearing what many of 'us' evolved into in 1971 - despite him being at least 3-5 years older than many of us: stack heels, 'lionels', a tank top and (almost certainly) a penny-round collar shirt. (Dunno if were dressing up - or those of his age dressing down.) happy.gif

Classy, eh? (Nice 'barnett', too.)







Shankley was a class act.

"Some people think it is nice to be important.
I think it's important to be nice"

They don't make them like that any more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead