Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 942post #14116 of 224478/5/13 at 1:29pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #14117 of 224478/5/13 at 1:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gsvs5
I loved them at the time.They were fresh and very different,particularly in the (Tan/Blue/Cherry?) colour combo.However no shoes have ever given me as much excitement upon obtaining them than my first Boxtops.Making the trip from the Midlands to Chapel St Market in Islington is remembered as it was yesterday.Black Boxtops,black socks,petrol blue cords,floral print s/s jersey knit penny collar shirt.The next big purchase item would be a Budgie Jacket.I wanted a 3/4 length leather one with the multi colour panels and scallop edge bottom,but had to settle for a waist length canvas.
Ahhh the memories !
Interesting post mate, i dont think crossovers are a bad looking shoe, you mention boxtops? another example of regional naming of things, or a manufacter tag sticking? i expect you've seen this before but thought i'd bang it up anyhows, shame there not those prices anymorepost #14118 of 224478/5/13 at 2:12pm
A bit late for you now, but you can pick up these harringtons for £40. The best bit is that they are a quality item STILL made here in the UK to the same pattern since the Sixties.post #14119 of 224478/5/13 at 2:13pmpost #14120 of 224478/5/13 at 2:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by ScootSuitnBoots
A bit late for you now, but you can pick up these harringtons for £40. The best bit is that they are a quality item STILL made here in the UK to the same pattern since the Sixties.
buy direct : http://www.bennevisclothing.com/epages/BT3129.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3129/Products/%22Harrington%20Jackets%2C%20Khaki%20Green%2C%22/SubProducts/%22Harrington%20Jacket%20Khaki%20Green%20XL%22
Re : solatios shoes not a bad shoe at all when worn with the right gear, also like norweigans or 'box top' as you mentioned, and the diamond style/ crossovers later worn...wearing a pair the other week..post #14121 of 224478/5/13 at 3:31pmQuote:Funnily enough we also called them Blockbusters.i picked up both terms from London lads at the time.I was the first person I knew of who wore them in my area and they gradually filtered in,so no local retailers had them.The same happened with Toppers later on.i wore them at fist with a suit with quite parrallel strides.they looked better with French flares,but they hadn't arrived yet.Originally Posted by Basset
Interesting post mate, i dont think crossovers are a bad looking shoe, you mention boxtops? another example of regional naming of things, or a manufacter tag sticking? i expect you've seen this before but thought i'd bang it up anyhows, shame there not those prices anymorepost #14122 of 224478/5/13 at 5:10pmpost #14123 of 224478/5/13 at 5:24pmpost #14124 of 224478/5/13 at 6:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by ek77
Original Style Solatio Shoes in Brown Mix on Ebay
Some styles should stay in the past. They look like Ronald McDonald shoes!!post #14125 of 224478/5/13 at 9:37pmI was in the Glasgow DM shop the other day, and I noticed that the company seems to be getting to grips (a bit) with its edgier street cred. There was a large b/w pic on the wall of a couple of skinhead revival girls leaning on a wall, and another of what appeared to be 1970s souly-tartan-bootboys dancing. I can't find either precise pic on the web, although there is a similar one of two girls.post #14126 of 224478/5/13 at 10:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by cerneabbas
Clouseau.We have mentioned before on this forum that prices go up and quality goes down,Barracuta seems to be another brand living on its past reputation ( IMO ) we could make a long list of companies doing the same,make it in China etc,cheaper materials, increases profit.
Isn't that the same with most of the apparel you buy in the UK these days. I was i the UK in June looking around stores, wasn't impressed. Seemed to be charge highest prices possible, but make it all using cheap labour in third world countries, e.g. £100 for a polo shirt...but made in Bangladesh......OK....and same polo is £5 in Shenzhen.post #14127 of 224478/5/13 at 10:57pmMikeDt. Yes it is the same with MOST clothes and shoes IMO.In fact you have to be careful with Made in England marked items,Loake Royals seem to be put together in England out of parts made in India,some Loakes and other famous shoe makers have some ranges made in India etc,but they are still charging as if their product was made here.I dont want to be classed as a Loake basher (as i say other makers do the same),they do still make some shoes here and they are good value for money and good quality IMO.Lets face it Levis started going downhill from the mid 70s,Ben Sherman and Fred Perry are not what they were,just famous names /logos now ( all IMO ),better to buy in M and S better quality less than half the price ( still made in the far east ).post #14128 of 224478/5/13 at 11:18pmpost #14129 of 224478/5/13 at 11:19pmpost #14130 of 224478/5/13 at 11:56pmQuote:
If ye want a pair of top skinhead shoes from 1969 - this isn't them.
If ye want a shoe for all occasions, this isn't them.
If ye want a pair of shoes for a 60 year old bloke who's 'dressing his age' to wear with his comfy slacks and M&S wooly-pully ... this isn't them.
Buy some decent brogues.
But there was a snap shot in time when these were super cool, long after basket top norwegians and before giant stack heeled spooners.
And if everyone has a brown pair, what better than a 3-tone brown pair?!
Timeless classic they ain't and if you're wearing these with a striped Benny, you need a stern talking to at best, but I wouldn't just bash them cos they'd raise an eyebrow down at Wetherspoons. With the right outfit - why not?
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Australian Members 52 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 9 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 15 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 25 minutes ago
- › BNWT Stephan Schneider Memory Coat Size IV - Color: Night Navy 25 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 25 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 25 minutes ago
- › Bespoke shoes - Calzoleria Riccardo Borella 27 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories