Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:07 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Mod to Suedehead - Page 942post #14116 of 217738/5/13 at 1:29pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #14117 of 217738/5/13 at 1:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gsvs5
I loved them at the time.They were fresh and very different,particularly in the (Tan/Blue/Cherry?) colour combo.However no shoes have ever given me as much excitement upon obtaining them than my first Boxtops.Making the trip from the Midlands to Chapel St Market in Islington is remembered as it was yesterday.Black Boxtops,black socks,petrol blue cords,floral print s/s jersey knit penny collar shirt.The next big purchase item would be a Budgie Jacket.I wanted a 3/4 length leather one with the multi colour panels and scallop edge bottom,but had to settle for a waist length canvas.
Ahhh the memories !
Interesting post mate, i dont think crossovers are a bad looking shoe, you mention boxtops? another example of regional naming of things, or a manufacter tag sticking? i expect you've seen this before but thought i'd bang it up anyhows, shame there not those prices anymorepost #14118 of 217738/5/13 at 2:12pm
A bit late for you now, but you can pick up these harringtons for £40. The best bit is that they are a quality item STILL made here in the UK to the same pattern since the Sixties.post #14119 of 217738/5/13 at 2:13pmpost #14120 of 217738/5/13 at 2:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by ScootSuitnBoots
A bit late for you now, but you can pick up these harringtons for £40. The best bit is that they are a quality item STILL made here in the UK to the same pattern since the Sixties.
buy direct : http://www.bennevisclothing.com/epages/BT3129.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3129/Products/%22Harrington%20Jackets%2C%20Khaki%20Green%2C%22/SubProducts/%22Harrington%20Jacket%20Khaki%20Green%20XL%22
Re : solatios shoes not a bad shoe at all when worn with the right gear, also like norweigans or 'box top' as you mentioned, and the diamond style/ crossovers later worn...wearing a pair the other week..post #14121 of 217738/5/13 at 3:31pmQuote:Funnily enough we also called them Blockbusters.i picked up both terms from London lads at the time.I was the first person I knew of who wore them in my area and they gradually filtered in,so no local retailers had them.The same happened with Toppers later on.i wore them at fist with a suit with quite parrallel strides.they looked better with French flares,but they hadn't arrived yet.Originally Posted by Basset
Interesting post mate, i dont think crossovers are a bad looking shoe, you mention boxtops? another example of regional naming of things, or a manufacter tag sticking? i expect you've seen this before but thought i'd bang it up anyhows, shame there not those prices anymorepost #14122 of 217738/5/13 at 5:10pmpost #14123 of 217738/5/13 at 5:24pmpost #14124 of 217738/5/13 at 6:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by ek77
Original Style Solatio Shoes in Brown Mix on Ebay
Some styles should stay in the past. They look like Ronald McDonald shoes!!post #14125 of 217738/5/13 at 9:37pmI was in the Glasgow DM shop the other day, and I noticed that the company seems to be getting to grips (a bit) with its edgier street cred. There was a large b/w pic on the wall of a couple of skinhead revival girls leaning on a wall, and another of what appeared to be 1970s souly-tartan-bootboys dancing. I can't find either precise pic on the web, although there is a similar one of two girls.post #14126 of 217738/5/13 at 10:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by cerneabbas
Clouseau.We have mentioned before on this forum that prices go up and quality goes down,Barracuta seems to be another brand living on its past reputation ( IMO ) we could make a long list of companies doing the same,make it in China etc,cheaper materials, increases profit.
Isn't that the same with most of the apparel you buy in the UK these days. I was i the UK in June looking around stores, wasn't impressed. Seemed to be charge highest prices possible, but make it all using cheap labour in third world countries, e.g. £100 for a polo shirt...but made in Bangladesh......OK....and same polo is £5 in Shenzhen.post #14127 of 217738/5/13 at 10:57pmMikeDt. Yes it is the same with MOST clothes and shoes IMO.In fact you have to be careful with Made in England marked items,Loake Royals seem to be put together in England out of parts made in India,some Loakes and other famous shoe makers have some ranges made in India etc,but they are still charging as if their product was made here.I dont want to be classed as a Loake basher (as i say other makers do the same),they do still make some shoes here and they are good value for money and good quality IMO.Lets face it Levis started going downhill from the mid 70s,Ben Sherman and Fred Perry are not what they were,just famous names /logos now ( all IMO ),better to buy in M and S better quality less than half the price ( still made in the far east ).post #14128 of 217738/5/13 at 11:18pmpost #14129 of 217738/5/13 at 11:19pmpost #14130 of 217738/5/13 at 11:56pmQuote:
If ye want a pair of top skinhead shoes from 1969 - this isn't them.
If ye want a shoe for all occasions, this isn't them.
If ye want a pair of shoes for a 60 year old bloke who's 'dressing his age' to wear with his comfy slacks and M&S wooly-pully ... this isn't them.
Buy some decent brogues.
But there was a snap shot in time when these were super cool, long after basket top norwegians and before giant stack heeled spooners.
And if everyone has a brown pair, what better than a 3-tone brown pair?!
Timeless classic they ain't and if you're wearing these with a striped Benny, you need a stern talking to at best, but I wouldn't just bash them cos they'd raise an eyebrow down at Wetherspoons. With the right outfit - why not?
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › CROCKETT & JONES Handgrade Clifford, Tan Antique, UK 9, Excellent... 27 seconds ago
- › EDWARD GREEN Ecton, UK 9.5, Dark Oak Antique, Great condition! 49 seconds ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other... 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 9 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 10 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 10 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015