or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 937

post #14041 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post

Sorry, I didn't get chance to finish this post........

The point I am making is that every 'generation' has it's own style and that's exactly as it should be. At 16 I didn't want to be dressed like a mod from 1964 or 1965, I would have viewed that as old fashioned or dated - I wanted the style of my peers and some only slightly older than me, people I looked up to. Similarly, 16 year olds in 1974 or 1975 didn't want to dress as I had in 1970 - but then, neither did I - nor did I want to dress like them!

Eleven years ago my Mum moved back to Royton and I decided to look up an old friend and after a couple of phone calls we arranged a night out as I could travel there and stay at Mum's. On the night out we met up with a couple of other mates - lads we had been skinheads with. One of them was still fighting at football matches! (apparently had promised his wife he would 'retire' when he was 50!) Was he still dressed in Doc Martens, turned up jeans and braces? - of course not, he was dressed in a similar style to the rest of us. He may still have been getting his 'kicks' in the same way as when he was 18 but in other aspects he had moved on.

I can relate to many aspects of youth culture as we've all been through it and therefore I don't slag off mod revivalists, casuals, or even my son's style as I know where they are coming from, as I said, every generation has it's own take on things but there are usually some threads that I can recognise . I think what rankles with some of us, though, is when people take something that we have fond memories of and make it into something else which changes the perception of it. Late 70's/early 80's skinheads for example, are now what people think of as skinheads with all their racist baggage and scruffy style. The other are skinhead 'revivalists' as discussed in relation to Brighton and Margate who seem to have taken some aspects of the original clothing and put them together in some type of caricature of the original style with their gaudy coloured check shirts and brightly coloured braces - again missing the point - style is not just throwing a few things together. I suppose it is like when you see an old girlfriend or girl you used to fancy - if she's put on weight or lost her looks it makes you sad, you want to remember her as she was (or at least how you think she was!)

roytonboy-Have you been to the "Sound And Pressure" Weekender,in Margate(the one that myself,Buttons and Bassett were photographed at)?You have the odd ones-this happens af any time but the majority were smartly dressed.
post #14042 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Man-of-Mystery.I can see what you mean about the younger lads at that time not getting the look right ( probably through lack of money ) because i would have been one of those lads.I also think that you would have moved on as you reached a certain age anyway ? after all skinhead/suedehead was "teenage fahion" surely ?,i think that if a much older man in 70/71 would have dressed in skinhead clothes he would have been ridiculed and probably sectioned under the mental health act ( no care in the community back then ).Contrast that with the poor old chap that i saw dressed as a Teddy boy the other night blue drape jacket,drainpipes on his canary thin legs,hardly any ( white )hair left and horrible sideburns,he really looked sad and pathetic.Sometime you have to let go,even if you look back on your era as a golden one IMO.

Well I still wear some clothes similar to those I wore back then, simply because they look ok on middle-aged blokes. In fact some of them look more than okay, they look pretty stylish, better than golf clobber anyway! But I don't wear DMs (even though my daughter says they would look good on me) because I'm 8-and-a-half and the size 9s look like canal barges on me, or braces exposed - because an old bloke in braces just looks like an old bloke in braces.
post #14043 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

I will say some of the language used to aggravate ( or wind people up ) was over the top,the Harry Roberts chants to wind up the police ?,but the one i hated then ( I NEVER joined in ) and i cringe when i think about it now was the Aberfan chants when English clubs played in Cardiff,the lowest of the low IMO,it wasnt all golden memories.

There were some bloody awful jokes, songs, and chants. You're right about the Aberfan ones - they were totally sick (like Q: What's black and goes to school? A: A slag heap). Then there was "Campbell's Cream of Coniston Soup - there's more body in it". And "Q: What's red on the outside, brown on the inside, and screams? A: A London bus full of Pakistanis going off a cliff".

Anyone remember the song which went to the tune of 'The Drunken Sailor"?

What shall we do with the (insert name) bastards?
What shall we do with the ... bastards?
What shall we do with the ... bastards?
Ear-lye in the morning.

Stab, stab, stab the bastards!
Stab, stab, stab the bastards!
Stab, stab, stab the bastards!
Ear-lye in the morning.


Atrocious, but I bet you'll be whistling it all day!
post #14044 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

I remember having a large book(years ago)that covered life in the States-1950s.I can recall a Picture of some Youths from Brooklyn and they looked casual but smart.If my memory serves me right,one had a pair of Basket Weave Loafers(without a bar going across).Always wanted a pair of those. smile.gif

They were well tasty! I wanted a pair too.
post #14045 of 18431

Most elements of the style can still be wear today in an elegant way.

I try to keep parts of the look, but subtly. Epurate, even minimalist. And sometimes with a modern(ist) twist.

It has been established on this thread that the original clothes became classics and that "the smartest look is the traditional one".

With, as reminded us Mr Knightley, mainly American Ivy and English mod influences, and to a lesser extent continental influences. (probably French and Italian i think, who were quite important on the cultural side (books, movies, scooters...) for the early mods and even beatniks: the "béret" for example is French and was very trendy in the "Saint-Germain-des-Prés" years following the war). 

Anyway what can we keep of the original suedehead look to this day ?

Almost everything. For myself first smartness and neatness. Clean shave, fresh (and short) haircut, simple but elegant clothes. And (it has already been said by a lot of members) clothes that i think apropriate to my age.

Still wear some DMs though. But only the 1461 shoes, brown & smooth. Always liked them. Very comfortable, and looks good on all occasions. Of course not with the (awful IMO, once again matter of personal taste) yellow stitching...

And MoM, Solovair does half sizes (on some models)...


Edited by Clouseau - 8/1/13 at 8:22am
post #14046 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


roytonboy-Have you been to the "Sound And Pressure" Weekender,in Margate(the one that myself,Buttons and Bassett were photographed at)?You have the odd ones-this happens af any time but the majority were smartly dressed.

You are talking about a very small percentage of blokes n birds who consider themselves Skinheads who really look the part . Wish it was not that way but sta prest and a tight 60s shirt looks so much better on a skinny 14 year old than a 54 year old man whatever way you look at it .

post #14047 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


roytonboy-Have you been to the "Sound And Pressure" Weekender,in Margate(the one that myself,Buttons and Bassett were photographed at)?You have the odd ones-this happens af any time but the majority were smartly dressed.

 

 

browniecj - yes, I did see those photos and agree with you. (I was referring to the clips of the 'other' skinhead meet) I applaud those members and others, who weren't around at the time but have done their homework and really nailed the look - (Ancillotti, Little Queenie, Buttons and McDermott amongst others) - you have done us proud and really look good. 

 

Many others of us have also stuck by the principles of the style, adopting some aspects of the look into what we are wearing now. I was really commenting on how every generation has its own look and how they all wear what is right for them at the time, yet there are similarities between us all. I think we are all a bit 'precious' about the look of our particular youth because of the emotional attachment we have to it.

post #14048 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Someone mentioned the language of the time a few pages back,now in my mind i always thought "aggro" meant aggravating someone generally with words,whereas actual fighting was "bother" ( or bovver ),later "aggro" meant trouble as well IMO,and i might well be on my own on this one.I will say some of the language used to aggravate ( or wind people up ) was over the top,the Harry Roberts chants to wind up the police ?,but the one i hated then ( I NEVER joined in ) and i cringe when i think about it now was the Aberfan chants when English clubs played in Cardiff,the lowest of the low IMO,it wasnt all golden memories.


We used the term having a bit of 'aggro' for fighting and someone causing 'aggravation' or 'agg' as in causing a bit of trouble. Didn't really use the term bovver, especially when the media got hold of it for 'bovver boys'. At school fights were 'bundles' and 'having a ruck' was also used.

Our school headmaster was named Mr Roberts and the Harry Roberts chant could be heard in the school corridors for a while.

post #14049 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

You are talking about a very small percentage of blokes n birds who consider themselves Skinheads who really look the part . Wish it was not that way but sta prest and a tight 60s shirt looks so much better on a skinny 14 year old than a 54 year old man whatever way you look at it .

flyfronted.I totally agree,because it was a style for teenagers,always looks a bit odd to me seeing older people wearing the whole outfit.

post #14050 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


Well I still wear some clothes similar to those I wore back then, simply because they look ok on middle-aged blokes. In fact some of them look more than okay, they look pretty stylish, better than golf clobber anyway! But I don't wear DMs (even though my daughter says they would look good on me) because I'm 8-and-a-half and the size 9s look like canal barges on me, or braces exposed - because an old bloke in braces just looks like an old bloke in braces.

Man-of-Mystery.I wear some of the clothes myself,you are right some of them do look ok for middle aged blokes because thats who they were intended for originally,its knowing where to stop i think.

post #14051 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post

Notwithstanding what I have said above about wearing today certain pieces that were staples back in 1968 / 71, I remain firmly of the view that skinhead in its true form died some time between 1970 and 1971 (except for a few far-flung areas of the Kingdom). And what I find so interesting is how and why things move on. I have no interest in how we might attempt replicate or resurrect a teenage look that is well past its sell-by date. That is when you start to run the risk of looking like you are wearing fancy dress. If we consider the men we have all looked at down the years as a style icon - Beau Brummel, The Duke of Windsor, Cary Grant, Steve McQueen, Bryan Ferry to name a few - they all have one thing in common namely that they were modern, innovators in their time. None of them was considered well-dressed because he copied a style of a bygone era.

Mr Knightley,I think that things should move on,as you say some of  the clothes of that period can still be worn,the thing that interests me is what new items can be introduced to compliment the look ?

post #14052 of 18431

Clouseau.Your post is 99% what i think ( the 1% is the Dr Martens,i just dont like them but not everyone will like exactly the same things ). Aces and Eights used the word subtle too,i think that is important.You mention short hair,i have always kept my hair that way,through the 70s when long hair was popular mine was shorter than the people around me,like Mr Knightley and his dislike of leather jackets maybe ?.

post #14053 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


But I don't wear DMs (even though my daughter says they would look good on me) because I'm 8-and-a-half and the size 9s look like canal barges on me

I wear a Size 12 UK everything looks like a canal barge on me.

post #14054 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post

And MoM, Solovair does half sizes (on some models)...

Vachement???? happy.gif
post #14055 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirryacus View Post

I wear a Size 12 UK everything looks like a canal barge on me.

Your name wouldn't be Caleb, would it? biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHDBn7TL4JM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead