or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 932

post #13966 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post


I'm with you on the faded jeans. I always want mine to stay in a near pristine condition. Back in 1969 I loved the heavyness and smell of new Levi jeans. You don't get that today without spending a lot of money.

 

I'm not with you on the 'sleeping in your own filth' comment. I wash at regular intervals, with or without my missus help.

 

I'm also with you on buttons.His knowledge is impressive and I reckon he could have easily bluffed his way on this site to being 16 in 1969, if he wanted to.

 

 

 

  If you want to keep your jeans(or madras shirts for that matter) from fading quickly, soak them in 1 part white vinegar to 1 part warm-to-hot(not boiling) water.  It sets the dye better.  I've tried it with my Levis jean jacket and the thing still looks new after about three years and a lot of daily work/wear.  

 

 Let's not take ourselves so seriously, folks!  Not all of us were there in the beginning, nor wish we were(though it would have been interesting!).  Also yeah, some of the younger set on here don't know what life was like in Britain or the US even 20 years ago(never mind 45): the mindset of the public, etc., was so very different than it is now.  Looking back on something you weren't there for and judging it by today's standards is misguided at best... but maybe they'll/we'll learn a thing or two on here-- I know I have!  

Anyroad, the coffee is making my fingers move a bit too fast here...

  On a lighter note, this thread is a pleasure to read for so many reasons.  Granted, the more contributors there are the more you have to separate wheat from chaff(such as this post, haha) as far as quality content goes, but it keeps it fresh and entertaining, especially for us young(er)'uns! 

post #13967 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


In Scouse it would be "fhhn'.

' CHEWSEA ' is another one that gets me .. its actually true though 

post #13968 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

' CHEWSEA ' is another one that gets me .. its actually true though 
Yoo'll fink your(sic) in 'eaven when yoor in Sawlfird sevin!!! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Can be a very scary place - Lower Broughton, Salford. nod[1].gif

(I knew some really good, well-turned-out, people from there, back in the day, mind.)
post #13969 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post


Ha ha, you caught me out. Another couple of me in '69 (along with my avitar)
Edited with LunaPic: http://lunapic.com/

What a well behaved family you have there - I wish mine were more like that !!

 

Me Mum had wallpaper like that in her front room back in the 60s and she was very proud to be with it

 

So if that was you in the other picture back in 69 then when we met up the other week in Margate I must have been 80 years old - I probably felt like it.  Well you said you wanted to be back in the day so now you are me old china

post #13970 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

What a well behaved family you have there - I wish mine were more like that !!

Me Mum had wallpaper like that in her front room back in the 60s and she was very proud to be with it

So if that was you in the other picture back in 69 then when we met up the other week in Margate I must have been 80 years old - I probably felt like it.  Well you said you wanted to be back in the day so now you are me old china
You don't look a day over 75, mate.
I'm just a spritely looking 59. And still much younger than Colin!
I probably told you that at Margate but you couldn't understand my accent (cos I wasn't talking like Bob Hoskins).

Get your kids a deerstalker each - they'll never behave properly without one.

(Oil of Ulay infused) Buttons
post #13971 of 18457

Is it bad that I only know Bob Hoskins as Smee from Hook the Peter Pan movie?

post #13972 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirryacus View Post

Is it bad that I only know Bob Hoskins as Smee from Hook the Peter Pan movie?
Ha ha - that's just how Aces talks in real life.
post #13973 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

 

 

 

  If you want to keep your jeans(or madras shirts for that matter) from fading quickly, soak them in 1 part white vinegar to 1 part warm-to-hot(not boiling) water.  It sets the dye better.  I've tried it with my Levis jean jacket and the thing still looks new after about three years and a lot of daily work/wear.  

 

 

Thanks for that info Botolph.Just to clarify,is this concoction a one time apply when the jeans are new and then you wash in the usual way thereafter?When you say 1 part white vinegar to 1 part water is that a teaspoon,a cup,a quart? On the subject of Hockey Violence.A lot of the Hardcore(music) Skinheads in the Boston scene(early 80's)Were Hockey fans from the North and south shore(Quincy and Braintree) They didn't have football but they had The Bruins.

post #13974 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Thanks for that info Botolph.Just to clarify,is this concoction a one time apply when the jeans are new and then you wash in the usual way thereafter?When you say 1 part white vinegar to 1 part water is that a teaspoon,a cup,a quart? On the subject of Hockey Violence.A lot of the Hardcore(music) Skinheads in the Boston scene(early 80's)Were Hockey fans from the North and south shore(Quincy and Braintree) They didn't have football but they had The Bruins.

 

 

 

You want to use a bucket, so probably a 1/2 to 1 gallon of each, depending on the garment.  Usually you'd just put the jeans or whatever article in on the rinse cycle.  Some people are touchy with denim, they don't wash it(raw, selvedge, etc.); so if that's your case then after the soak just do a cold rinse either in a sink or a cold rinse cycle in a washing machine.  Oh, and it is a one-time deal.  Once is all you need.  Apparently the vinegar breaks down some of the acids in the dyes and makes the garment colorfast.  Supposedly baking soda will do the same thing(but don't mix them obviously!!!! happy.gif)...

 

Hockey violence: I didn't get too too drawn into it but it was fun when it did occur.  Never innocent bystanders, just "game lads" as our British cousins might say.  

The Boston hardcore bands like Negative FX, then Last Rights and Slapshot, big hockey guys.  I gotta admit, I still love 'those bands.  Slapshot started off as an American equivalent to Oi! music, but not a direct imitation like the Allied or Iron Cross.  

post #13975 of 18457
Thanks for the clarification Botolph.As for the Hardcore scene I was there.I was at the record release for "This Is Boston Not L.A." Saw all those bands.Gang Green was the best(they were not straight edge or skinhead.They was three 16 year old drunks) SS Decontrol was great as well.I was playin in the Boston scene during this time.Not in a hardcore band in an early Indie rock band.Yes folks I am one of the people responsible for Indie Rock. Love it or Leave it.I don't care.Like M.O.M and I expressed earlier.There is a small percentage of any musical genre that is really great.As the great Pharoah Sanders said recently when asked about Rap and Hip Hop " there is only good and bad music,don't matter the genre"Sorry for going off topic folks.Thanks again Botolph.
post #13976 of 18457
Ok.I'm gonna tread very lightly on the subject of the vid of the Skins from 78.When I was a teen I wasn't always the brightest of bulbs on all subjects and I suspect these youngsters are as typical as any teen.The objective of the folks in power is to create division among the peasants.This has been true for many thousands of years.If you fall for that swindle you are a moron.As for the Immigration question,the frustration I think derived from Immigration policies set by those in power and the average person had no power or influence on the subject and felt enormous frustration.I have observed the recent problems with the desire for the Muslim community to enact Sharia Law in the UK.This is unacceptable from my perspective.I think there should be one establish body of Law.Certainly two very different definitions of Law is insane and destructive.From that perspective bigotry towards the Muslim community is understandable in the past as some folks saw this coming.Anti immigrant is not always about Racial bigotry but cultural bigotry as people always fear change and the introduction of a different culture can have very positive effects as well as negative.My dad is an immigrant but he and the rest of my family did integrate.That doesn't mean they stopped celebrating their old culture(thankfully,Cuban food being one of my favorites and my Aunt was the best cook of that food ever) No country is immune from these problems.None of us should be pointing fingers and making judgements. The only group of folks on the PLANET who are not Immigrants(if you believe the scientists) are the Bush Men of the Kalahari.Everyone else is an Immigrant(the celtic people are descended from the Basques of Spain and some other influences as well)OK that's enough.
post #13977 of 18457
Long time lurker from beginning of thread. Was wondering if someone might post up a couple of representative fotos and describe the main differences between a classic and a hard mod? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
post #13978 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

' CHEWSEA ' is another one that gets me .. its actually true though 

I had a Welsh mate in London. He used to say about 'Millwall', "There are no Ls in that word, only 86 Ws!"
post #13979 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocostella View Post

Long time lurker from beginning of thread. Was wondering if someone might post up a couple of representative fotos and describe the main differences between a classic and a hard mod? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Not too easy, as 'hard mod' wasn't a term any of us heard back in the day.

Rather than photos, let's say that the 'hard mod' wasn't into King's Road or Carnaby Street; the style was minimalist, mainly working class, blue zipper jacket, Levis, brogues, college boy haircut.
post #13980 of 18457
Copy. Makes sense. Thanks for the response.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead