Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 921
Styleforum Top Picks
They do look the same mate, although i cant be totaly sure from that pic.
Like i said, i just wore em because that was what i was given by mother, i did like them
so maybe i'd seen them somewhere and asked for them, but in all honesty i just cant remember, there was also a dap version.
I do remember the old man wearing baseball style boots but they looked like denim, again early to mid 70's
which would all tie in, i think around that time the old man was finally letting go of his teddy boy past.
Baseball boots, were popular again in the early 80's, 99's they were called, came in a variety of colours, heavier commando sole
compaired to the ones i'd worn previous.
I know im getting way ahead of this thread, but it's interesting how certain items/styles, seem to come and go on a fairly regular basis.
My eldest daughters current footwear choice is baseball boots, she told me there ' well in ' i just smiled, tangents an all that
Have a look at that:
Edited by Clouseau - 7/21/13 at 1:23am
But sometimes it is not worth paying big money to have quite good looking quality shoes.
Have a look at that:
I would disagree on this point Clouseau.I would say always buy the best,if you can afford it.It is particularly important when the time comes for repair/re-builds of shoes.A company like Crocket & Jones,Alden etc return your shoes like a new pair.Shoes are the best wardrobe investment you can make.particularly if your tastes lie in traditional styles which we tend to move toward.The "Last" shapes do change gradually and slowly,but I have shoes that areover 30 years old and they don't look dated IMO.
Regarding the comparison of Weejuns - I always found the stitching on Weejuns to be garbage.The Heel Counter was always inferior leather and was a weak spot where you needed support..I have never owned any Westons ,but visit their shop on Madison Ave every now and again just to see what they are doing.(Actually the furniture,lamps and decor is more desireable to me,but that's another story !) They are good looking shoes indeed.BTW the stitch on Norwegians (Budapester's ) is called a "goiser" stitch and is quite labor intensive,hence the cost.
Reinforcing the British love affair with boots,thought you would be interested to know that the French Army (and others) wore English made boots at one time (Oct 1914) :
C&J Boots and Florsheims all 20+ years old.I photographed these to show how little the shape has changed.The two pr of boots( back-right) are slightly chissel toed.They are Paul Smith (made by C&J) when he was carrying more traditional styles and all English shoes at the time.I still need a great pair of Loafers though.....
Edited by Gsvs5 - 7/20/13 at 9:17pm
about the army boot MIE, i am not surprised, English shoes and boots always had a reputation here, that may be why... except Weston, and Paraboot to a lesser extent, French shoes are not great IMO.
Gsvs5, great collection of shoes by the way.
Some of my friends who are still close to skinhead style wear exclusively American army boots, WWII repros. in the eighties, some of them already wore them, but originals deadstock.
Edited by Clouseau - 7/21/13 at 1:33am
I believe the story goes the norwegian guy was influenced by the native american moccassin and sort of combined it with elements from a local norwegian shoe from his village, but didn't become popular until an american G.H. Bass not sure if it was the name of the guy or his company started making them under the Weejun label.
What is this baseball boot that everyone is speaking of? Do you guys mean Converse Chuck Taylor, P.F. Flyers and Pro Keds type canvas sneakers?
About boots, i must say i don't wear some for a while. Got an old pair of DMs i wear in winter when it is snowing, and i try not to slip...
Edited by Clouseau - 7/20/13 at 10:27pm
BTW i don't understand how you can spend big money on Monkey boots, always thought they were funny shoes, but quite ugly. Even if they are made by trendy designers, still crap imho... Of course this is just a personal opinion.
Edited by Clouseau - 7/21/13 at 2:02am
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 57 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Good Suits at Great Prices 2 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 3 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 4 minutes ago
- › Momotaro 4 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 5 minutes ago
- › Summer Tie Friday Challenge 7/25/2014 5 minutes ago
- › spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco 8 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 9 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)