That's because I wasn't there. Depends entirely on how you wear it.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:31 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 6:50 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Mod to Suedehead - Page 909post #13621 of 208067/15/13 at 7:53am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #13622 of 208067/15/13 at 7:53am
I wore a thin red one underneath a navy lambswool crew neck .I had shoulder length hair by then. Now I cringe when I think about it and have never worn that look since.It is a classic preppy colegiate look in the States (usually a white one underneath ) but with short hair and the whole family decked out in the same it looks so different !
What's a love bite Ed? Ha Ha .post #13623 of 208067/15/13 at 7:55ampost #13624 of 208067/15/13 at 7:57ampost #13625 of 208067/15/13 at 8:03amQuote:
You and me both, mate! I well recall being at a West Indian Carnival in the early 1980s, standing in a queue to buy a Jamake Patty, and some (white) bloke marching up to me and giving me lip because I was wearing an MA1 jacket and boots. The MA1 and the short hair obviously made him blind to the fact I was wearing a red-gold-green badge a Rasta had given me.
In any case - I'm from the NF on my own in a field full of Rastas? Do me a favour!post #13626 of 208067/15/13 at 8:05ampost #13627 of 208067/15/13 at 8:06ampost #13628 of 208067/15/13 at 8:12am
That jogged my memory. Somewhere in the loft I have a photo from the same vintage as one you've seen on this thread already (the one at the archaeological dig, where I'm wearing a checked Madras cotton shirt), which shows me in cut-off Levis. I seem to recall that I'm leaning back against the wall of a hut with my hands behind my head, while the French girl I was sort of 'with' is snuggling up to me. memories!post #13629 of 208067/15/13 at 8:21amQuote:Originally Posted by browniecj
What has not been touched on(with us older exSkinheads)is the Polo neck Jumper.Whilst the younger ones were wearing patch-work Jumpers etc.,the older ones wore these in many colours and patterns.They were smart enough(if thin)to wear with Jackets,Trousers and Suits.The thicker ones could be worn with Jeans or Trousers.I had about 5 thin ones(various colours) and 2 thicker ones.If you look at Pictures of that time, one if not more would be wearing a Polo neck Jumper.
This kind of sweater was around and about a lot, but never quite 'in' where I happened to be at the time. I can remember friends of my mate next door in Blackpool - the earlier mid 60s mods who I really really really wanted to look like - sometimes turned up in them. I can remember the vogue for wearing a shirt over a polo neck sweater - I think I remember a pic of George Garrison like that - but around Blackpool that look got taken over by rockers and 'mids'. I recall someone used to market a kind of polo-neck insert for your shirt in the 1960s, so you could look cool but not overheat in a club or dance hall.post #13630 of 208067/15/13 at 8:33amQuote:
Yes, Clouseau the book does say they are originals but even so, I would say this pic was a little later than claimed - would you? The hairstyle, for example was fashionable in London c 1964/65.
The book also carries a later picture showing the second generation around 1968, I recall.post #13631 of 208067/15/13 at 8:41am
Dressing in the age of nudity - not off topic but rather my reply to questions about how I feel about dressing for comfort rather than style. I cannot claim any credit for this excellent essay but would say it sums up my dismay at the decline in standards over time. I must also agree the original post is a little selective, shall we say, in it's historical references! But the question is will the decline continue or can the 'Second Age of Nudity' ever be reversed?
Edited by Mr Knightley - 7/15/13 at 9:30ampost #13632 of 208067/15/13 at 9:01amQuote:
Yes i watched it Mike. Always liked Rod Stewart and The Faces.post #13633 of 208067/15/13 at 9:25ampost #13634 of 208067/15/13 at 9:27amQuote:
Cheers, one of those items named literaly after an aspect of it's style/design, wasn't sure if they had picked up a name after a brand, like Royals, Crombie etc.
I do remember these shoes although it would have been later, which fits in with what you've said, older kids at my school getting ready to leave and go to secondry school etc wore them, got no idea of the year but probably an example of, todays fashion being tomorrows cast offs for the blokes setting the trends.
Tbh as a snot nosed kid i called them duckbills, and cringe every time i see a pair due to the fact that i had my finger crushed by a pair which resulted in a trip to A & E, that was the end of my marble hustling dayspost #13635 of 208067/15/13 at 9:51amMr Knightley, An interesting link,i dont see a return to former dress standards i am afraid,its gone too far now.I am a hypocrite here i know as my shorts look has a lot to be desired,in my defence weather conditions excepted i do try my best. I think now that some 60s Mods did wear trainers,the fact that they were so hard to obtain would have made them appealing to a Mod as they were quite competitive in what they wore IMO.You mentioned the Modculture site before and i have been looking on there,some interesting articles and pictures,again IMO.
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 12 seconds ago
- › Viberg Boots 23 seconds ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 35 seconds ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 44 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 2 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 2 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 2 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 2 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan