That's because I wasn't there. Depends entirely on how you wear it.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 909
Styleforum Top Picks
I wore a thin red one underneath a navy lambswool crew neck .I had shoulder length hair by then. Now I cringe when I think about it and have never worn that look since.It is a classic preppy colegiate look in the States (usually a white one underneath ) but with short hair and the whole family decked out in the same it looks so different !
What's a love bite Ed? Ha Ha .
You and me both, mate! I well recall being at a West Indian Carnival in the early 1980s, standing in a queue to buy a Jamake Patty, and some (white) bloke marching up to me and giving me lip because I was wearing an MA1 jacket and boots. The MA1 and the short hair obviously made him blind to the fact I was wearing a red-gold-green badge a Rasta had given me.
In any case - I'm from the NF on my own in a field full of Rastas? Do me a favour!
That jogged my memory. Somewhere in the loft I have a photo from the same vintage as one you've seen on this thread already (the one at the archaeological dig, where I'm wearing a checked Madras cotton shirt), which shows me in cut-off Levis. I seem to recall that I'm leaning back against the wall of a hut with my hands behind my head, while the French girl I was sort of 'with' is snuggling up to me. memories!
What has not been touched on(with us older exSkinheads)is the Polo neck Jumper.Whilst the younger ones were wearing patch-work Jumpers etc.,the older ones wore these in many colours and patterns.They were smart enough(if thin)to wear with Jackets,Trousers and Suits.The thicker ones could be worn with Jeans or Trousers.I had about 5 thin ones(various colours) and 2 thicker ones.If you look at Pictures of that time, one if not more would be wearing a Polo neck Jumper.
This kind of sweater was around and about a lot, but never quite 'in' where I happened to be at the time. I can remember friends of my mate next door in Blackpool - the earlier mid 60s mods who I really really really wanted to look like - sometimes turned up in them. I can remember the vogue for wearing a shirt over a polo neck sweater - I think I remember a pic of George Garrison like that - but around Blackpool that look got taken over by rockers and 'mids'. I recall someone used to market a kind of polo-neck insert for your shirt in the 1960s, so you could look cool but not overheat in a club or dance hall.
Yes, Clouseau the book does say they are originals but even so, I would say this pic was a little later than claimed - would you? The hairstyle, for example was fashionable in London c 1964/65.
The book also carries a later picture showing the second generation around 1968, I recall.
Dressing in the age of nudity - not off topic but rather my reply to questions about how I feel about dressing for comfort rather than style. I cannot claim any credit for this excellent essay but would say it sums up my dismay at the decline in standards over time. I must also agree the original post is a little selective, shall we say, in it's historical references! But the question is will the decline continue or can the 'Second Age of Nudity' ever be reversed?
Edited by Mr Knightley - 7/15/13 at 9:30am
Yes i watched it Mike. Always liked Rod Stewart and The Faces.
Cheers, one of those items named literaly after an aspect of it's style/design, wasn't sure if they had picked up a name after a brand, like Royals, Crombie etc.
I do remember these shoes although it would have been later, which fits in with what you've said, older kids at my school getting ready to leave and go to secondry school etc wore them, got no idea of the year but probably an example of, todays fashion being tomorrows cast offs for the blokes setting the trends.
Tbh as a snot nosed kid i called them duckbills, and cringe every time i see a pair due to the fact that i had my finger crushed by a pair which resulted in a trip to A & E, that was the end of my marble hustling days
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- › MTO/ Bespoke shoe plans for 2015? 58 seconds ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 5 minutes ago
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review 6 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 8 minutes ago
- › BNIB GUIDI BLACK SOFT HORSE LEATHER PLATFORM CHELSEA BOOTS sz 39,1399$ 10 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 17 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...