That's because I wasn't there. Depends entirely on how you wear it.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:24 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 909post #13621 of 236927/15/13 at 7:53ampost #13622 of 236927/15/13 at 7:53am
I wore a thin red one underneath a navy lambswool crew neck .I had shoulder length hair by then. Now I cringe when I think about it and have never worn that look since.It is a classic preppy colegiate look in the States (usually a white one underneath ) but with short hair and the whole family decked out in the same it looks so different !
What's a love bite Ed? Ha Ha .post #13623 of 236927/15/13 at 7:55ampost #13624 of 236927/15/13 at 7:57ampost #13625 of 236927/15/13 at 8:03amQuote:
You and me both, mate! I well recall being at a West Indian Carnival in the early 1980s, standing in a queue to buy a Jamake Patty, and some (white) bloke marching up to me and giving me lip because I was wearing an MA1 jacket and boots. The MA1 and the short hair obviously made him blind to the fact I was wearing a red-gold-green badge a Rasta had given me.
In any case - I'm from the NF on my own in a field full of Rastas? Do me a favour!post #13626 of 236927/15/13 at 8:05ampost #13627 of 236927/15/13 at 8:06ampost #13628 of 236927/15/13 at 8:12am
That jogged my memory. Somewhere in the loft I have a photo from the same vintage as one you've seen on this thread already (the one at the archaeological dig, where I'm wearing a checked Madras cotton shirt), which shows me in cut-off Levis. I seem to recall that I'm leaning back against the wall of a hut with my hands behind my head, while the French girl I was sort of 'with' is snuggling up to me. memories!post #13629 of 236927/15/13 at 8:21amQuote:Originally Posted by browniecj
What has not been touched on(with us older exSkinheads)is the Polo neck Jumper.Whilst the younger ones were wearing patch-work Jumpers etc.,the older ones wore these in many colours and patterns.They were smart enough(if thin)to wear with Jackets,Trousers and Suits.The thicker ones could be worn with Jeans or Trousers.I had about 5 thin ones(various colours) and 2 thicker ones.If you look at Pictures of that time, one if not more would be wearing a Polo neck Jumper.
This kind of sweater was around and about a lot, but never quite 'in' where I happened to be at the time. I can remember friends of my mate next door in Blackpool - the earlier mid 60s mods who I really really really wanted to look like - sometimes turned up in them. I can remember the vogue for wearing a shirt over a polo neck sweater - I think I remember a pic of George Garrison like that - but around Blackpool that look got taken over by rockers and 'mids'. I recall someone used to market a kind of polo-neck insert for your shirt in the 1960s, so you could look cool but not overheat in a club or dance hall.post #13630 of 236927/15/13 at 8:33amQuote:
Yes, Clouseau the book does say they are originals but even so, I would say this pic was a little later than claimed - would you? The hairstyle, for example was fashionable in London c 1964/65.
The book also carries a later picture showing the second generation around 1968, I recall.post #13631 of 236927/15/13 at 8:41am
Dressing in the age of nudity - not off topic but rather my reply to questions about how I feel about dressing for comfort rather than style. I cannot claim any credit for this excellent essay but would say it sums up my dismay at the decline in standards over time. I must also agree the original post is a little selective, shall we say, in it's historical references! But the question is will the decline continue or can the 'Second Age of Nudity' ever be reversed?
Edited by Mr Knightley - 7/15/13 at 9:30ampost #13632 of 236927/15/13 at 9:01amQuote:
Yes i watched it Mike. Always liked Rod Stewart and The Faces.post #13633 of 236927/15/13 at 9:25ampost #13634 of 236927/15/13 at 9:27amQuote:
Cheers, one of those items named literaly after an aspect of it's style/design, wasn't sure if they had picked up a name after a brand, like Royals, Crombie etc.
I do remember these shoes although it would have been later, which fits in with what you've said, older kids at my school getting ready to leave and go to secondry school etc wore them, got no idea of the year but probably an example of, todays fashion being tomorrows cast offs for the blokes setting the trends.
Tbh as a snot nosed kid i called them duckbills, and cringe every time i see a pair due to the fact that i had my finger crushed by a pair which resulted in a trip to A & E, that was the end of my marble hustling dayspost #13635 of 236927/15/13 at 9:51amMr Knightley, An interesting link,i dont see a return to former dress standards i am afraid,its gone too far now.I am a hypocrite here i know as my shorts look has a lot to be desired,in my defence weather conditions excepted i do try my best. I think now that some 60s Mods did wear trainers,the fact that they were so hard to obtain would have made them appealing to a Mod as they were quite competitive in what they wore IMO.You mentioned the Modculture site before and i have been looking on there,some interesting articles and pictures,again IMO.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE June 24, 2016 - Greyscale 3 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker 7 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 16 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Is untidy welt finish on Loake 1880 shoes normal? 18 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 19 minutes ago
- › Mommy makeover in 50's? 19 minutes ago
- › ADIDAS Thread 22 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 31 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding