or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 894

post #13396 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post


I was still bottling up in a pub at the age of 16 ( 83) blokes would come in and order a pint, and say there preference for a mug or a sleever, mugs seem to have gone out of fashion, and i suspect people getting lumped with them played a part

Bassett, that probably explains rarity of mugs, although I'd always thought straight glasses might be more dangerous, being thinner and easier to break.

Saw a similar scene outside pub in London yesterday, everyone enjoying the sun ... and all drinking out of plastic "glasses".
post #13397 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post

Cool picture.
I drink out of them mugs at home sometimes but I thought the main reason they disappeared was they were too good a weapon. Same with heavy glass ashtrays.
Besides the mugs though, I was hoping someone was gonna pay comment to the western style shirt the lad in the Levis is wearing. Looks too evenly coloured to be a denim one but not impossible with some excessive washing. Wouldn't have said that was a common sight in '68 though. Any comments?

Buttons, your usual eye for detail. Yes I remember those shirts being popular round my way in mid-70s so perhaps that fella was ahead of things. Interesting variety in footwear too.
post #13398 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post

cerneabbas, those Berwick shoes - Goodyear welted in particular - look pretty good and as you say some positive reviews online. Hadn't seen them before but will have to check them out in shop. Kingstonian's recommendation of Discount Shoes: well worth a trip; by my reckoning (on Loakes in my experience) cheapest prices you can find.

Discount Shoes will not have every Berwick shoe in the range any more than they stock all Loakes but at least you can see the standard of the range.
post #13399 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post


Cool picture.
I drink out of them mugs at home sometimes but I thought the main reason they disappeared was they were too good a weapon. Same with heavy glass ashtrays.
Besides the mugs though, I was hoping someone was gonna pay comment to the western style shirt the lad in the Levis is wearing. Looks too evenly coloured to be a denim one but not impossible with some excessive washing. Wouldn't have said that was a common sight in '68 though. Any comments?

 

 

 

I've always liked the western style shirts and have collected quite a number of them over the years,though I never recall them being that popular except in the denim variety and worn by everyone from Hells Angels to Hippies.

post #13400 of 18621

AppleMark

 

Oh ...........and an old Geordie Mod. 

post #13401 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post


Discount Shoes will not have every Berwick shoe in the range any more than they stock all Loakes but at least you can see the standard of the range.

 

There is a short thread here about them: http://www.styleforum.net/t/327986/berwick-1707-shoes Again a comparison with Loakes.
post #13402 of 18621
I must have had beer mugs and Northerners in my head today because i suddenly remembered the scene in Get Carter,when Jack Carter ( Michael Caine ) goes into the pub in Newcastle and orders a beer as the barman turns to get him one Carter clicks his fingers and says in a London accent " in a thin glass ",then he looks about to see if anyone is going to say anything to him ( no takers ).One of my favourite films,made in 1971 ?,quite violent for the time,and a realistic level of violence i think ( no machine guns or rocket launchers ) some nice clothes too.About the western style shirt ,i had something like it early 80s from M and S ( of course) the material was called Chambray,i remember that because it nearly stopped me buying the shirt.
post #13403 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post





I've always liked the western style shirts and have collected quite a number of them over the years,though I never recall them being that popular except in the denim variety and worn by everyone from Hells Angels to Hippies.

And some ex-Skinheads....smile.gif
post #13404 of 18621
Remember when I visited the Top Rank in Watford(I have told this story before),a fight broke out-and a barrage of half filled Beer Mugs went from one side to the other.There was blood everywhere.Yes,I would say that because of the aggro,they got banned.Cannot stand the plastic ones though.
post #13405 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post


Cool picture.
I drink out of them mugs at home sometimes but I thought the main reason they disappeared was they were too good a weapon. Same with heavy glass ashtrays.
Besides the mugs though, I was hoping someone was gonna pay comment to the western style shirt the lad in the Levis is wearing. Looks too evenly coloured to be a denim one but not impossible with some excessive washing. Wouldn't have said that was a common sight in '68 though. Any comments?

I remember a lad in our class at school having one in needle cord - it would have been around 1968. Cord had a a bit of a resurgence then - mainly Wrangler jackets and cord jeans - maybe a bit of a 'western' theme going on there?

post #13406 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirryacus View Post

You know the only reason I said that was it seemed to me that roytonboy and cerneabbas were acting as if they wouldn't go to Margate because of what they saw in the video when it wasn't even the right meet up, no offense to either of you guys if that wasn't what you were saying but I read it that way for some reason.

 

No offence taken - flyfronted made the comment about some in the video being 'caricatures' of the skinhead look before buttons and Basset explained that the two events were not the same. Having read his observation, I just had to respond.

 

In terms of 'skinhead' many people (myself included) have a pretty fixed idea of what it is, or should be. Sometimes we need to remember that there are different types of skinhead - those that evolved from Mod in the late sixties,those of us who were then drawn to the style, some who evolved from Punks in the late seventies, others who came from the blurring of mod revival in 1979/80 and a variety of other people who have been drawn to the image for a variety of other reasons. All regard themselves as skinheads or former skinheads. Some skinheads I can relate to, regardless of age, some I can't. Doesn't mean they are wrong and I'm right. Tattoo'd girls in bleached denim mini skirts, fishnet tights and Doc Martens bear no resemblance to girls that I knew as a skinhead, yet many people recognize their look as 'skinhead'. It has been a revelation finding this site and discovering that there are others who have very similar ideas on the style as I have myself.


Edited by roytonboy - 7/9/13 at 9:04pm
post #13407 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Remember when I visited the Top Rank in Watford(I have told this story before),a fight broke out-and a barrage of half filled Beer Mugs went from one side to the other.There was blood everywhere.Yes,I would say that because of the aggro,they got banned.Cannot stand the plastic ones though.


I hate those plastic jobs, they should come with a bib

post #13408 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

I must have had beer mugs and Northerners in my head today because i suddenly remembered the scene in Get Carter,when Jack Carter ( Michael Caine ) goes into the pub in Newcastle and orders a beer as the barman turns to get him one Carter clicks his fingers and says in a London accent " in a thin glass ",then he looks about to see if anyone is going to say anything to him ( no takers ).One of my favourite films,made in 1971 ?,quite violent for the time,and a realistic level of violence i think ( no machine guns or rocket launchers ) some nice clothes too.About the western style shirt ,i had something like it early 80s from M and S ( of course) the material was called Chambray,i remember that because it nearly stopped me buying the shirt.

Classic film that, cerneabbas - and yes 1971. Michael Caine did wear some sharp suits from what I remember. Haven't watched it in a while but have it on DVD so it might get a play this weekend.

 

Particularly like the scene where the local villain, Brumby (played by Bryan Mosley who was Alf Roberts in Coronation Street) has a go at Carter who crumples him with a single punch in the guts. Brilliant line for Carter then: "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself." Sounds like the sort of thing some on here would like to say to some of the participants in that "other" Margate event (the wrong one) on YouTube. smile.gif

post #13409 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post

I remember a lad in our class at school having one in needle cord - it would have been around 1968. Cord had a a bit of a resurgence then - mainly Wrangler jackets and cord jeans - maybe a bit of a 'western' theme going on there?

Do you remember "The Westerner" boutique in Manchester, roytonboy? Sold lots of denim and cord - with obvious theme. I think they had a stage coach on one of the floors. It's probably been mentioned on here before. And was there one of the same name in London?

post #13410 of 18621
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post

 

Here's mine;

 

I am currently sat here in a 3 button stone coloured suit with flat fronted trousers, pale blue BD oxford weave Ben Sherman (dyed myself), rose brown 'English'  brogues, light blue/yellow patterned tie. I wouldn't normally go for this colour combo for work but it's the staff BBQ this afternoon and the sun is shining........

 

I always wear 100 leather shoes for work, this has meant 'English' or 'Royals' type brogues for a quite a few years but has also included Oxfords (with a toe cap)

BD shirts 

I own (and wear) 2 Harrington jackets - one sky blue (obviously!), one plum coloured.

I own 3 Levi Jackets, one indigo, one naturally faded and one I have dyed brown - all of these are the original 70500 pattern. (I also own a stone wash 'trucker' style Levi jacket with side pockets but only wear it under a 3/4 length brown leather jacket.)

I wear Levi 501s - Indigo, naturally faded and stone washed. (but not turned up)

In the last few months I have bought 2 gingham BD Ben Shermans (one sky, one navy) 

I occasionally wear sleeveless pullovers. Last winter I saw a beautiful Gant fair-isle sleeveless pullover - very subtle blues, greys and maroon. I knew it would be expensive so waited for the sale - when I eventually went in to buy it, it was too big for me. 

I have recently bought a stone coloured fly fronted mac and have really enjoyed wearing it

For my 18th birthday my parents bought me a knee length sheepskin coat, I still have it, it still fits (what's all this, fat, bald and skint......?) and yes, in the winter, I still wear it.

I have 2 Fred Perrys 

 

 

I still have 2 pairs of Doc Martens - one Cherry Red, one black. Cherry Red ones I've had since the 1970's and have 'Made In England' on the sole - I hardly ever wear either pair - only very rarely to walk to the pub in the snow i.e. once or twice a year.

 

would wear a 3 button two tone suit, if only I had somewhere to wear it - it would be completely lost on my current mates, none of whom are of the style and if I turned up at Wetherspoon's in it, people would ask who'd died! 

 

I haven't worn braces since I was 18 and don't think I ever will.

Some years ago I bought a very nice dark grey, fly fronted crombie. I hardly wore it as I couldn't think when it would be suitable. I gave it away in the end.

 

However, as previously stated, the clothes of my youth influence, rather than dictate my current style. I wear lots of other stuff not connected to the skinhead/suedehead look. I wear business suits for work everyday - currently none of them are 3 button (some are 3 piece) Not all of my work shirts are BD. Away from work I wear different types of t-shirts and other makes of jeans besides Levis. There are no wrong or right clothes, only what is appropriate.

Interested to see your list, roytonboy. Wanted to ask you what make of mac you went for and where you got it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead