or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 893

post #13381 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Kingstonian.Thanks for the info on Discount shoes stocking Berwick shoes,when i looked at their website (Berwick) they have some really nice styles ( in the pictures anyway )brogues,smooths, longwings,oxford toe caps,loafers,various boots and gibsons.I have looked at a couple of reviews and they seem to be good value for money.I am planning a trip to London next month so i will have a look.

cerneabbas, those Berwick shoes - Goodyear welted in particular - look pretty good and as you say some positive reviews online. Hadn't seen them before but will have to check them out in shop. Kingstonian's recommendation of Discount Shoes: well worth a trip; by my reckoning (on Loakes in my experience) cheapest prices you can find.
post #13382 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post


Great pic, dimpled pint mugs lethal in the wrong hands!

Is it just my memory, or were those dimpled mugs more common Down South in years gone by and the straighter schooner glasses (we always called them Top Hats round Manchester I think) more common Up North? And don't seem to see the dimpled ones much now?

Like I say might just be my memory - and I did have quite a bit of sun on my head yesterday :-)
post #13383 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post


Correct, your reading is spot on mate

You know the only reason I said that was it seemed to me that roytonboy and cerneabbas were acting as if they wouldn't go to Margate because of what they saw in the video when it wasn't even the right meet up, no offense to either of you guys if that wasn't what you were saying but I read it that way for some reason.

post #13384 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post


Yes, it was the old beer mugs that I noticed as well. You don't seem to see them much today. I had a pint of Peroni last Sunday in my local (it was hot) in a tall glass with the Peroni brand on the side.A good looking glass that I was tempted to take back home with me.

 

 I've got quite a few of those mugs in my collection but you are correct they aren't used here in the states either anymore for most likely the same reason ironically they still use some mugs that weigh twice as much or more, but most places are using the shaker glass which we call a pint glass here, you can buy the dimpled mug just about anywhere here in the states though, I've kind of went overboard with buying various beer glasses but I can't resist when they present themselves for a dollar a piece.

 

Sorry for the double post I had but I tried to get it all in one post and the quote codes were all messed up.

post #13385 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post


Yes, it was the old beer mugs that I noticed as well. You don't seem to see them much today. I had a pint of Peroni last Sunday in my local (it was hot) in a tall glass with the Peroni brand on the side.A good looking glass that I was tempted to take back home with me.


I was still bottling up in a pub at the age of 16 ( 83) blokes would come in and order a pint, and say there preference for a mug or a sleever, mugs seem to have gone out of fashion, and i suspect people getting lumped with them played a part

post #13386 of 18431
elwood, Yes i think the pictures of the Berwick shoes are very good,the best range of styles i have seen from any manufacturer lately the only thing that worries me is the price ! they seem to cheap to be any good ( pessimistic arent i ? ) oh well lets see......Beer mugs, yes i remember Northerners saying that us Southern po**fs drink our beer out of glass tea cups,that didnt bother me too much, we always asked for a "sleever" ( straight glass )instead of a mug,when we managed to get into a pub...( i am talking mid 70s here ).I remember being at Henley,i dont know what year ( mid to late 60s i was a young kid ),there was a pub on the river and a bloke in a deep sea divers outfit,with the metal screw on helmet was going down and bringing up loads of those mugs,i suppose people just chucked them in the river when they had finished their beer,funny thing to see though.( I edited this post to make it easier to read ).
Edited by cerneabbas - 7/8/13 at 8:16pm
post #13387 of 18431

I remember it used to be a pain in the arse to buy a round of drinks with my mates. Not only did everyone want a different drink but they would also want it in a particular glass or mug. I always preferred a straight glass but some mates preferred a mug. Some would want a splash of lime which was sacrilege to me, if it was in an expensive drink.I always tried to buy a round early to get it out of the way and also before everyone had arrived.Who ever turned up late normally had to buy the next round. I was a cheapskate but at least I bought a round. Some mates tried to avoid paying for any drinks. Knowing the barmaids was always useful.

post #13388 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post

I remember it used to be a pain in the arse to buy a round of drinks with my mates. Not only did everyone want a different drink but they would also want it in a particular glass or mug. I always preferred a straight glass but some mates preferred a mug. Some would want a splash of lime which was sacrilege to me, if it was in an expensive drink.I always tried to buy a round early to get it out of the way and also before everyone had arrived.Who ever turned up late normally had to buy the next round. I was a cheapskate but at least I bought a round. Some mates tried to avoid paying for any drinks. Knowing the barmaids was always useful.

 



Had a mate years ago, always first thru the pub door, but always ended up behind everyone else at the bar, these modern street magicians have got nothing on him

post #13389 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post



From the very good LONDON FB group .. 1968 outside the Coleville boozer on portobello road 
Cool picture.
I drink out of them mugs at home sometimes but I thought the main reason they disappeared was they were too good a weapon. Same with heavy glass ashtrays.
Besides the mugs though, I was hoping someone was gonna pay comment to the western style shirt the lad in the Levis is wearing. Looks too evenly coloured to be a denim one but not impossible with some excessive washing. Wouldn't have said that was a common sight in '68 though. Any comments?
post #13390 of 18431

I didn't even notice that buttons, I always thought those were associated with the rockabilly scene which would be Teddy Boys and Greasers or was that a later development or does it not have those connotations in the UK? I own a few such shirts living in a western state, my step-grandfathers idea of "dressing up" was wearing a short sleeve western shirt and a bolo-tie for frame of reference.

post #13391 of 18431
elwood. Your post on the beer mugs where you touched on the variation in North / South beer mugs has been making me think ( i am up early because its too hot too sleep ) i remember going to various places in England and Wales,because of family or football and as well as there being local variations in style that have beeen talked about on here,you noticed other regional differences,is it me or has everything become more "uniform" around the country now ?.I am not explaining this too well but things like different types of police cars,the colour of buses,shape of coppers helmets.Maybe i just noticed different things then because i was young and seeing different places fot the first time ?.
post #13392 of 18431

The guy in the pic with "Cowboy" shirt.In my opinion by 65 the Southern CA Western Look of the Byrds and other LA bands was popular in many places although never done as well as they did it in LA in 65-66.

post #13393 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

elwood, Yes i think the pictures of the Berwick shoes are very good,the best range of styles i have seen from any manufacturer lately the only thing that worries me is the price ! they seem to cheap to be any good ( pessimistic arent i ? ) oh well lets see......Beer mugs, yes i remember Northerners saying that us Southern po**fs drink our beer out of glass tea cups,that didnt bother me too much, we always asked for a "sleever" ( straight glass )instead of a mug,when we managed to get into a pub...( i am talking mid 70s here ).I remember being at Henley,i dont know what year ( mid to late 60s i was a young kid ),there was a pub on the river and a bloke in a deep sea divers outfit,with the metal screw on helmet was going down and bringing up loads of those mugs,i suppose people just chucked them in the river when they had finished their beer,funny thing to see though.( I edited this post to make it easier to read ).

cerneabbas, on regional differences in beer glasses years ago, I'd never heard that term "sleever" before. I always thought beer tasted better out of the thinner straight glasses, but only my opinion. Back then I drank dark mild more than anything else - Thwaites (Blackburn) and Chesters (Manchester) breweries.

Like the Henley story.

Will be interested to hear your experience with the Berwick shoes. They sound good value from online reviews - and if you're pessimistic you're less likely to be disappointed.
post #13394 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

elwood. Your post on the beer mugs where you touched on the variation in North / South beer mugs has been making me think ( i am up early because its too hot too sleep ) i remember going to various places in England and Wales,because of family or football and as well as there being local variations in style that have beeen talked about on here,you noticed other regional differences,is it me or has everything become more "uniform" around the country now ?.I am not explaining this too well but things like different types of police cars,the colour of buses,shape of coppers helmets.Maybe i just noticed different things then because i was young and seeing different places fot the first time ?.

cerneabbas, I think you're right about disappearing regional variations (or variety). This thread has brought out some interesting regional differences in the style back then. From what I see when I travel round I doubt there are similar variations now. I could just not be tuned in, but it seems that fashion/ dress sense is pretty standard everywhere, ie scruffiness reigns.
post #13395 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post

Is it just my memory, or were those dimpled mugs more common Down South in years gone by and the straighter schooner glasses (we always called them Top Hats round Manchester I think) more common Up North? And don't seem to see the dimpled ones much now?

Like I say might just be my memory - and I did have quite a bit of sun on my head yesterday :-)

I remember those dimple mugs up our way from my childhood (my dad,a rugby player, was always partial to real ale!).That would be the '70's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead