browniecj. I do still like Crombies,particuarly in herringbone ( preferably without velvet collar ), i just dont think that i would wear one very often. I meant to respond to the post where you said that you would have felt like a slob going to the pub not wearing a suit,contrast that to this story,my son went to a 21st birthday party recently one of the blokes there in his late forties early fifties was wearing a suit.My son said that he heard at least half a dozen people ask this bloke if he had just been in court !
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:10 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 888post #13306 of 229227/2/13 at 4:38am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #13307 of 229227/2/13 at 5:37ampost #13308 of 229227/2/13 at 7:24amQuote:post #13309 of 229227/2/13 at 9:35ampost #13310 of 229227/2/13 at 10:06amQuote:
Thanks, Ed; hadn't seen that. Interested to see reference to "chukka" boots. When I first had a pair of desert boots around 67/68, my Mum & Dad used to call them chukka boots - though there can't have been a polo pony within a hundred miles of our house and my knowledge of polo was restricted to mints. (On second thoughts, Cheshire was less than a hundred miles away ... northern-most of the Home Counties and all that :-) )post #13311 of 229227/2/13 at 1:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by Basset
Interesting mate, i've been a keen modeller/painter for many years, i've seen a few things like you describe, usually smaller scale and aimed at the gaming fraternity. Gazza's boot boys in the link below always made me chuckle
... and I see there's also Yossa's Bonehead Skins - must be some Northerners in there, judging from the denim jacket & jeans combinationspost #13312 of 229227/2/13 at 1:58pmQuote:
Interesting article Ed, suede chuckka boots were the old mans favourite footwear during his ted days, Eaton clubman were his brand of choicepost #13313 of 229227/2/13 at 2:24pm
Good article on the Desert Boot Ed. I liked the bit
'Back in Britain, a gentleman avoided suede on his feet – something sly about it, strictly for lounge lizards and worse – but up at the sharp end it was acceptable'
The Clarks Desert boot is my regular footwear of choice for day-to-day wear and I like the idea that at the 'sharp end' suede is acceptable!post #13314 of 229227/2/13 at 2:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by cerneabbas
Bob the Badger. Interesting list of what you would still wear,the hard part is finding a lot of the clothes and shoes.When i see something that i like i have to stop and think "when would i wear that ?",like you say about wearing a Crombie at a funeral.I do like Crombies but from a practical point i cant see myself wearing one a lot now,it seems to rain more than get cold in the winter and a lot of shopping centres are indoors and heated,i dont stand on football terraces in the cold and a long coat is a bit impractical when driving.Sheepskins,i did have one but i wouldnt now,again not practical in the rain and expensive to have cleaned.You mention Blazers,do you prefer patch pocket blazers ? also where do you find American button downs now ?.
Agree with this.Very difficult to find the clothes I like these days. All blazers I have owned have had patch pockets. I don't have a blazer at present but I am interested in what Mr Knightley is having made up. I occasionally buy Brooks Brothers shirts (made in USA) which are the right fit for me. I avoid logos on shirts.post #13315 of 229227/2/13 at 2:46pmpost #13316 of 229227/2/13 at 2:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mr Knightley
I think of the tasselled loafer as, generally, a young man's shoe (or was). The Bass version was my favourite when I was young and I did wear a J Simons bought pair until I was about 40 years old. I have had a re-think regarding the Fair Isle sweater, what with M o M's Monty Python reference and Elwoods, Paul McCartneys image is lodged in my brain. So Fair Isle -Maybe not for me after all.
I have read some of your previous posts and reckon our paths must have crossed in the past. You once mentioned the Coopers Arms pub which was a pub we went to when our school year finished in 1969 and was the place to go at that time. I had forgotten how popular the pub was until I read your post. There may well be a regional influence but most people I know today, living in Essex, dress no where near as well as we all used to.post #13317 of 229227/2/13 at 7:00pmQuote:Funnily enough as much as I loved them at the time and was really tempted by the Cashmere one I posted earlier,it's one piece of clothing that was great at the time but just seems very dated ,today.Maybe it could still look cool on a teenager today? I doubt it on anyone with any grey hair.Originally Posted by elwood
Bit behind here, but saw this in Telegraph magazine article - about Matt Berry (?) I think - a few days ago:
A bit blurred, but seems to be Jack Wills (although no longer on their website). Don't think it's as stylish as the cashmere one Gsvs5 posted a few days back; but fairisle doesn't really do it for me these days - reminds me to much of McCartney in Magical Mystery Tour. (Loved The Beatles but he sets my teeth on edge.)post #13318 of 229227/2/13 at 10:52pmpost #13319 of 229227/2/13 at 11:10pmpost #13320 of 229227/2/13 at 11:35pmQuote:
I always follow the rule of the middle button.
But what do you do with a two button jacket? I usually fasten the top button, sometimes the two buttons at the same time. Never the bottom button only of course.
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 5 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 6 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 8 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge for February 12th; Checks! 8 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 10 minutes ago
- › GG MEGATHREAD!!!!! UK9.5E/US10D!!!!! 13 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling St James UK 6 15 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge for February 5th 2016 - The Green Jacket 20 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...