Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 871
Styleforum Top Picks
Hi RB, I'm assuming by Oxford, you mean this style, with a toe cap?
The terminology often gets mixed up with gibsons, smooth caps, oxfords, long wings, Royals, gun boats etc, even with the manufacturers.
I've got a pair by Grenson, I've had since '89. Not got a picture to hand though.
Yes Buttons, that's exactly what I meant. (the style of the brown ones, though we mostly wore black)
The moccasins I referred to though were lace ups - not 'loafers' (much more like the 'Cheaneys' photo posted by Gsvs5)
Edited by roytonboy - 6/20/13 at 5:57am
I must admit I don't wear a bow tie that often - it does take courage these days!
Even the tie is becoming an endangered species - the recent G8 summit seemed to put another nail in the coffin. It is sad because a man gets very few opportunities to wear a piece of coloured silk.
Here is a link to a great Blog predominantly about Denim by one of the most knowledgable people out there.This posting talks of the Lotus Shoe Co. which was based in my home town at the time .Maybe due to that fact a few of the lads wore Veldtschoen shoes as an alternative to Royals at the time.Less common than the RAF surplus Officer Dress shoes worn by many,they were one of the few shoes out there with very thick soles and built solid as a rock.They were also the most expensive new shoes available in town at the time.
Interesting to you Buttons as it talks of "Used" prices for the boots and RL in London.
Furthermore he dispels the Urban Legend of the Japanese buying up Levis old Looms for Denim production elsewhere in his Blog.Good reading
Gsvs5 thanks for sharing that link - great blog as you say. Lotus made some wonderful loafers in the early 80s available at Woodhouse in London. They reflected that rugged style pictured in the blog with a chunky construction and often a matt, slightly waxy finish. Anyone remember them?
Of course they are not both Oxfords (using the English definition). The brown one, with its 'closed' lacing, is where the black pair are in a Derby style. While we wore Derbies in the late 60s (Royals included of course) we did not wear Oxfords on a regular basis. The latter were seen as too smooth.
I gather our American cousins call the Derby a Blucher and the Oxford an Oxford Bal(moral)?
On the subject of shoes.....
1. Were Oxfords worn in other parts of the country 1969/71? Don't recall it being mentioned anywhere.
2. In 1972 there was a brief fad about wearing 'Moccasins' around Manchester. Did this happen anywhere else?
Remember both in the Manchester area, roytonboy.
1. Oxfords were one of Timpsons' "Royals" range I've mentioned before. Only ever saw them in black. Definitely fell into what had previously been "old man's wear" I'd say, as before that I'd only ever seen them worn by my Grandads and their contemporaries. Having said which I've had several pairs over last
Although I wore both at the time, the former I considered to be skinhead wear, the latter I didn't (pretty much on the tail end of suedehead by us - just as it was all starting to go pear shaped)
2. Also remember moccasins if they were lace-ups you're referring to roytonboy. Seem to remember Bata selling most popular version. Didn't care for them myself and somehow always associate them with Rupert trousers - but as you said they were at suede head tail-end when all going pear-shaped.
roytonboy, If its Oxfords with a toe cap that you mean then yes i used to wear them,i have seen some similar on e bay recently Sanders officers shoes. Were the lace up moccasins leather with a rubber sole ? if so we wore them in Bristol,we called them "bovver moccs", Pressure_drop has mentioned them. I was reading your article for your local rag and you mention the Ben Sherman button downs in black,navy and red..I had a navy one for christmas that year, 1970 ? it was a nice shirt very thin/fine material,i think that the red one had white buttons,the navy shirt navy buttons,not sure about the black but i wish i could get one now.
Got a couple of red Bennies from 1970 and they definitely come with red buttons (long sleeved and short).
Navy with navy buttons etc.
Never had a black one yet (but there's always time!)
Brutus had white buttons on their red & black plain button downs - here's Jim Cox wearing one at the 2 Puddings Pub, Stratford, East London, 1970
The above photo of Jim Cox is a beauty.
I've seen photos of you everywhere Buttons, on some dodgy sites too! (Panic) Buttons!
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 43 seconds ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 45 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › NWT 40L/40R Loro Piana navy suits (Made by St. Andrews) 1 minute ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 1 minute ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Fs: John Varvatos Tahoe Lugger Boots 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 5 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...