Still mining Getty site ... Carnaby Street 1966. Is the jacket on right the suede one with leather collar often mentioned on here (doesn't look like Levi's to me and might have popper buttons)? (Less said about outfit on left, the better! And trousers on right come to that)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:23 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 864post #12946 of 252206/14/13 at 9:21ampost #12947 of 252206/14/13 at 9:31ampost #12948 of 252206/14/13 at 9:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Spirit of 89
On to another question that has been touched on but not really in depth from what I can remember of this thread: color schemes. What looked good together and what wouldn't you pair?
Specific colors of specific clothes has been mentioned (jungle greens, stone Sta-prest, brown/ox blood/black boots) ....but I'd like to hear more of how an outfit was put together if it pleases all.
For example...if you wore let's say black boots with a pair of stone Sta-Prest...were there certain color combinations of shirt, sweater vest/or braces, and Harrington/monkey jacket/whatever type of 'overcoat'....that made you feel especially smart? Or was that thinking too much into it?
Here are a few photos that sum up my recollections of the day.Even though the East End Boys photo is B&W ,you can still see a lot of lighter shades being worn together.I believe this was probably a hangover from Mod.By contrast to later generations interpreting the style,this was a much brighter look.Is that the East End of London I wonder?The lad on the left must have nicked his jacket of a Northener; Seeems like it was National Fair Isle day in Bristol !post #12949 of 252206/14/13 at 9:40ampost #12950 of 252206/14/13 at 9:55amEnglish League Division One match at Maine Road
Manchester City 1 v Leeds United 2.
Police arrest troublemakers in the crowd
Interesting pics, ek77. Illustrates how little segregation of opposing fans there was at that time. Looks to me that this was old Scoreboard End at Maine Road. Clear from 3rd pic that it was a City fan being ejected (scarf colours) but you can see that scarves hung over wall at front of terrace in pic 1 were Leeds - so both sets of fans in same section, which is probably how "disturbance" came about.
One other thought, his crop was pretty short - looks like no.2 or even no.1 to me. Any thoughts from anyone else about this at that time in North (roytonboy or Ed Vaughan)?post #12951 of 252206/14/13 at 9:58amGsvs5. The East end in that picture is the East end of Ashton gate (Bristol City) rather than East end of London.As Basset pointed out a few pages back the fairisle pictures were taken in Ashton park opposite Bristol City ground.There was also a black and white picture of City skinheads fighting with Cardiff supporters ( fairisles in that picture too) fairisles were popular down here "back in the day", my gran knitted mine navy,sky blue and white,i thought i was the dogs dangly bits for a while.I am NOT a Bristol City supporter never have been,but i will say that they sorted some much bigger clubs mobs out in Ashton park back then,people might have come to Bristol taking the piss out of the accent / farmers / worzels etc, they went home with a different idea.post #12952 of 252206/14/13 at 10:17ampost #12953 of 252206/14/13 at 10:36amelwood. Segregation in those days was non existent, it wasnt only the teams that changed ends at half time the supporters used to as well. Later on you went to some grounds and there was a rope down the terracing to seperate rival supporters, that idea didnt seem to work very well though ! The worst trouble could occur when you had been seperated and then left the ground through the same exit,bloody scarey for an away supporter especially at a night game ( well i thought so anyway ), never stopped us going though did it ? haha.post #12954 of 252206/14/13 at 3:58pmWhat Cerneabbas said really. Yep there were certainly a lot of Fairisles worn in Bristol but I never thought it a regional thing, I had a dark blue/light blue/white and black one which was very popular.
The photo of the Never on Sunday boys featured on the front of Booted & Suited also shows one (worn by a chap called Dave Mealing - who just to even up things was a Rovers' lad).post #12955 of 252206/14/13 at 5:37pmQuote:
you picked out the worst example ever... i dont know any nowadays skinheads personally that would dress like these guys.....post #12956 of 252206/14/13 at 6:08pmQuote:
There were plenty examples like this all over a mere 10-12 years ago they always used to cite bands like The Templars and Oxblood, but you are right I never saw such examples in recent years in larger groups it seems a lot of them absorbed into psychobilly scenes and such.post #12957 of 252206/14/13 at 7:50pmpost #12958 of 252206/14/13 at 7:59pmQuote:
Here's a more recent example I believe.( Holland April 2013 )
Still shows little in the way of variation ,colour ,or style in my opinion,which was what my original answer was about.
All I see is Burgundy,Black and Bluepost #12959 of 252206/14/13 at 10:43pmGsvs5. The last picture made me realise how much fatter people are ( generally ) than we were "back in the day", i remember going into Austins in Bristol for sta prest and the smaller waist sizes were either sold out or only the less popular colours left.I remember my tonics were too big and i had to have darts sewn in them so they would stay up. I can only ever remember a very few fat people then,fat women were a joke for seaside postcards,i can honestly say that i only remember one fat person ( a woman) in our street.The diet was not the same as now and we were all much more physically active.I have to go to the gym and go for runs now to keep my weight down,i think that "our styles" look better on slimmer blokes and girls.post #12960 of 252206/14/13 at 11:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by ek77
feel free to ask him.. he died in 2004..
photographer/PUBLISHER - like I need to repeat. It's what you do.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 3 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 29 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 3 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 4 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 7 minutes ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...