July 1968. Riders very big here too (at the same time as Monkey boots) then the heavier boots, think it was the other way round for lots of areas?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:55 am in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Isaia SC/Polo/vintage biker jacket/Spiewak/Incotex/To Boot/Polo (C&J) boots - DROPS Last post on 4/10/11 at 5:58pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 2/23/15 at 4:28pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 831post #12451 of 197425/16/13 at 1:09pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #12452 of 197425/16/13 at 2:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by Bob the Badger
On the subject of boots does anyone remember wearing jodphur boots? This was almost pre-skinhead in about 1968. I bought mine from a proper equestrian shop near where I lived and I reckon I had the best pair around. They were brown leather, elasticated sides and had a rounded toe rather than the chisel toe the late mods were wearing. I put blakeys on mine because they weren't cheap and they needed to last. DM jodphurs became popular later.
My first thoughts from that description is a dealer boot, the fact that you bought them from a equestrian shop would suggest differences? i always think of dealers being a heavyish boot? I know gaggle.com can be random, it threw up a few different styles under the dealer boot search i put inpost #12453 of 197425/16/13 at 5:17pmI had a pr of Brown Jodhpur boots also Bob.very hard stiff leather upper and soles,with a nice almond shaped toe.again purchased from a Riding shop in town.very different from Dealer boots,with a smooth clean look.only worn with jeans though-never suits like the mods.
I just remembered that they were really popular with the Birmingham lads first,and it was a giveaway that you were from there early on.That and Yellow Harringtons for some reason?
The DM ones were never seen .post #12454 of 197425/16/13 at 5:31pmpost #12455 of 197425/16/13 at 5:36pmpost #12456 of 197425/17/13 at 1:39amQuote:
Yes, mine were very similar to the ones on the left. Bloody difficult to get on but comfortable once you did so. The DM version I remember from about 1975 when my brother bought a pair for work. I didn't rate the DM's. I did hear the term 'riders' and many called them (mistakenly) chelsea boots after the mod version with the chisel toe.post #12457 of 197425/17/13 at 7:21ampost #12458 of 197425/17/13 at 7:32ampost #12459 of 197425/17/13 at 9:42ampost #12460 of 197425/17/13 at 10:38ampost #12461 of 197425/17/13 at 12:08pmpost #12462 of 197425/17/13 at 2:22pmQuote:
Good looking pair of jeans Lasttye. I would like a pair of those. I expect they cost you a few bob? Where did you buy them? I need a new pair of good quality jeans and Lee are my jeans of choice.post #12463 of 197425/17/13 at 3:06pmQuote:
I have half a dozen pairs of Japanese Jeans, The above was imported from Japan, cost around £140, They are near impossible to buy outside Japan, Prices are around £250 to £300,
I just got hold of a pair of Studio D Artisan, Get Smart/Jason who gets on here got me a pair when he was in Japan..and sent them to me, saved me about £120.
I have built up a relationship with a salesperson at Samurai over the years and have no problem with getting hold of them...a lot cheaper than buying them in a shop.
Samurai SO510XXpost #12464 of 197425/17/13 at 3:20pmpost #12465 of 197425/17/13 at 8:19pm
- Mod to Suedehead
- What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › ***The official Alden thread *** just now
- › Tuxedo Help 1 minute ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 3 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 4 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 4 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 5 minutes ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 5 minutes ago
- › StyleForum eBay Roundup - Week of March 1 5 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...