or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 824

post #12346 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Basset.I dont like to hear about pubs shutting down,but i for one wont be shedding a tear about the "Royal Archer" i never liked the place,a typical estate pub where the lairy locals would look at you as you walked in and say to each other "dont know he".The Henbury inn was another one,gone now thank god,soon all those old dumps will be gone and some idiot will start a petition to give the last few listed building status !....sorry if the Archers was your local mate.


No worrys i didn't like it either, if i go local it's either the jolly cobbler or more usually the black horse in Kingswood

post #12347 of 18457
Basset. I only went in "The Anchor Made Forever" once,but i remember that as an old pub,pity thats gone.Mind you its like when Woolworths went everyone was moaning,its down to us you got to use it or you lose it .
post #12348 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

I know your having a laugh but Margate really is the best we have on the Kent's North East coast musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

 

I had a drive along the North coast line the other week and its quite embarrassing.  The Local authorities are investing some money but it still not getting the punters in


It's sad tbh, when you look at the old pics and compare them to now, i hope more investment pays off, the end of the front by the train station has gone to pot, the area where the do is held is nice, but further around the corner and up the hill it's a bit shabby mostly b&b's that are shitholes run by foreigners.If the place gets some decent investment it would be a nice classic British seaside town again

post #12349 of 18457
Basset and Aces and Eights. What you both say about Margate is a shame,i have never been there but other seaside resorts that i have been to have gone downhill too, Weston and Weymouth being 2 examples,they have had thousands of people visiting them and spending money there for years,what have they done with it ?.Back in the late 60s early 70s i loved Weymouth carnival night,greasers on motorbikes (all English bikes !) and us walking down the front in our check button downs (cheapo ones) and Levis thinking we looked great...if you saw a Harley Davidson then you would stop and look,not like now the bloody things are everywhere.After shave....can anyone else remember Faberge West?,it was the next one they did after Brut i think,my brother used to bath in the stuff but no one i mention it to now can remember it.
post #12350 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

Just curious: Would the shoes in my avatar be considered Bovver Moccs? Got a thick black crepe rubber sole, top stitching.
Either way, I think they're the hound's mounds.

Here's a couple more pics, and no I didn't 1.get them from there or 2.pay that much!

http://www.endclothing.com/alden-arguello-ranger-moc-91902.html

Similar mate - if anything I would say yours look better! Bovver mocs had much more of a prominent stitched upper - exacly like mocassins, hence the name, but much more heavy duty. Nice shoes fella - I like 'em!
post #12351 of 18457

Bit of a diversion from pubs and army surplus, but I'm still catching up on last couple of nights (I suffered a traumatic excursion to Wembley yesterday ... and I'm not looking for sympathy) - a couple of pages of articles about Mods and Teds that appeared in The Spectator in 55-57 and 64. Hope the scanning works, print looked a bit faint so I might have to have another go

 

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

 

post #12352 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Pressure_Drop. Yes it was Ian Sparkes suit that i saw, when you think this was 5 or 6 years before Saturday night fever maybe he was ahead of the times.I didnt know about white skinners but i do remember lads wearing "navy whites",i heard someone say that they had to boil wash them after every time they wore them (i bet that was to get shoe polish marks off the bottom of the legs).Phew,i am glad you remember "army greens" with side/cargo pockets as well,i thought i was going to be on my own in the nuthouse for a minute.Bovver moccs,i had 2 pairs (they were really cheap !) i got mine in Lennards in Westbury,i had black and brown,i polished the brown ones ox blood.Do you remember Bath v Plymouth FA cup?,i was with you and Paul W that day before the match ! ,do you remember the police took one blokes steel toe caps off him? he was stood there in the middle of winter in his socks,his mates went in a shop and bought him the brightest orange and black canvas shoes!!! he looked a right prat in his sheepskin and jeans....happy days.

cerneabbas, you mention the Bath v. Plymouth FA Cup game - were Bath or Plymouth managed by Malcolm Allison then (of sacred memory to anyone with Manchester City or West Ham affiliations)? I know he managed Bath then Plymouth before arriving at City.

 

On second thoughts, forget this question ... I've just looked it up and he was at Bath 63-64, Plymouth 64-65 ... and I should have known City 65-72 ... my brains have clearly been addled by yesterday's events

post #12353 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Basset and Aces and Eights. What you both say about Margate is a shame,i have never been there but other seaside resorts that i have been to have gone downhill too, Weston and Weymouth being 2 examples,they have had thousands of people visiting them and spending money there for years,what have they done with it ?.Back in the late 60s early 70s i loved Weymouth carnival night,greasers on motorbikes (all English bikes !) and us walking down the front in our check button downs (cheapo ones) and Levis thinking we looked great...if you saw a Harley Davidson then you would stop and look,not like now the bloody things are everywhere.After shave....can anyone else remember Faberge West?,it was the next one they did after Brut i think,my brother used to bath in the stuff but no one i mention it to now can remember it.

I remember it very well, cerneabbas. Like you say it was the follow up to Brut, a bit more sandalwood than Brut (he says, as if it's possible to remember it accurately 40 years onsatisfied.gif). Round about 73 I think. I had a small bottle of it then ...

 

post #12354 of 18457
elwood. I wonder if you can still get West ? I am going to have to ask in John Lewis or Debenhams,must try and get some Brut i didnt know that they still made it.Sorry about your weekend being spoilt by Wigan,about Malcolm Allison he did come and manage Bristol Rovers when they were playing at Bath in the 90s.Those pictures you put up of mods at Brighton,those white helmets look like the ones the Royal Marines wear (dont worry i am not going back to army surplus shops) was that what the local police in Brighton wore in the 60s i wonder?.
post #12355 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Man-of-Mystery. I saw the picture and i know that the jungle greens were talked about earlier in the thread,i was wondering if Pressure_Drop could remember the type of trousers worn here in Bristol then.I can remember coming to London for the first time,it was around christmas but i cant remember what year,i do remember seeing lads wearing long denim coats with a denim belt and a sheepskin collar.There have been a few regional variations mentioned on this thread and its quite surprising how the overall style spread around the country,i know that we saw other fans wearing different kit at football and people from other places would congregate at seaside resorts.I remember a bit later Chelsea coming to Bristol and seeing loads of their lot wearing the green Alpha flight jackets,i had never seen them before and i was impressed,i went to London a couple of weeks after and bought one.


Chealsea fans and flight jackets, eastville stadium?

post #12356 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post


Chealsea fans and flight jackets, eastville stadium?

The flight jacket thing amongst London football lads circa 78 - 82 was not a Skinhead inspired thing more a off shoot of the jazz funk / soul lot who wore em after the great gear market ( a big Soul Boy haunt ) started selling them in 78 . 

post #12357 of 18457
Basset.Yes thats right Chelsea at Eastville,first time i ever saw flight jackets.
post #12358 of 18457
flyfronted. Thats interesting,i didnt realise that about the flight jackets,i have to say that not all the Chelsea lot we saw that day were skinheads.I just liked the look of the jacket so i travelled up to London and got one (in the Kings road),years after i went back to the same place and got a navy blue one.Later on it was only skinheads that i saw wearing them.
post #12359 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

elwood. I wonder if you can still get West ? I am going to have to ask in John Lewis or Debenhams,must try and get some Brut i didnt know that they still made it.Sorry about your weekend being spoilt by Wigan,about Malcolm Allison he did come and manage Bristol Rovers when they were playing at Bath in the 90s.Those pictures you put up of mods at Brighton,those white helmets look like the ones the Royal Marines wear (dont worry i am not going back to army surplus shops) was that what the local police in Brighton wore in the 60s i wonder?.

As far as I know, Cerneabbas, West is long gone. White helmets could indeed have been summer issue for Brighton police - I'm sure someone else on here is sure to know. (Cheers for your commiserations about yesterday - not really Wigan who spoiled weekend, more our own non-performance ...) I'd overlooked Big Mal's connection with Bristol - what a manager & character
post #12360 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

flyfronted. Thats interesting,i didnt realise that about the flight jackets,i have to say that not all the Chelsea lot we saw that day were skinheads.I just liked the look of the jacket so i travelled up to London and got one (in the Kings road),years after i went back to the same place and got a navy blue one.Later on it was only skinheads that i saw wearing them.

I never had a MA1 back in the 60s, I met a Millwall supporter from Bermondsey in 70 at work { we are friends to this day} he had a Alpha MA1 after he saw some lads from Chingford Essex wearing them in Trafalgar Sq. funny enough he still has the same jacket superb kit, I have one now a 1966 Vietnam Issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead