What is interesting from the photos is that some wore braces, but most didn't. Not all the time, anyway. That was us. None wore a belt with their sta-prest. Today I always wear a belt but back then didn't. As kids we wore the snake belts with short trousers up to 10 years old. Didn't even wear belts with jeans. Shirts were usually tucked in. Today most fatties have to wear their shirts untucked. Long sleeved shirt sleeves were folded back twice like the girl in the top photo but I never folded the shirt sleeve to look like the guy although I have to say his shirt looks like a beauty. My short sleeve shirts were the baggy American ones or 'doctored' long sleeved Ben Shermans.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 817
Styleforum Top Picks
I am with you on this. I wouldn't buy a Ben Sherman today as they are made outside the UK. The original shirts (made in UK and Northern Ireland) were good quality and I think matched some of the American import shirts. I would buy a made in England Fred Perry, but not a cheap import. My mum bought me my first Fred Perry in the early sixties. They were a popular cheap tennis shirt for going away on holiday. Not sure they were of the highest quality even then but they were made in UK as opposed to Hong Kong or British Empire. Most Brands are trading on past glories.Most things with a logo on are rubbish.
Don't like the crockett and jones DB.Looks like a Victorian era womens boot.The reason I think Clark's Desert Boots are the superior choice(visually) Is cause of the ANGLES.The top of the boot is not straight across but angled.If you look at the shoe from the side you see numerous angles.Bunty I believe(I could be wrong)Stated he liked other versions of the DB besides Clark's.I think the aesthetic design of Clarks is patented as the other (copy) versions are not quite the same (usually straight lines).
I am a big fan of Desert Boots and Clark's in particular. I have about 10 pairs and they are my everyday shoes for knocking about in. I regret that Clarks now make them in Vietnam but I still buy them. To me they have a classic look. They are superior to 'trainers' and other casual footwear and can be worn in most situations without feeling out of place. Much smarter than the alternatives. I have other Desert Boots and I think some Italian ones are quite good. Cheaper brands last five minutes and named brands are an expensive rip off.
Hello Bob the badger,Micky Smith says the same as you,Man utd got in the North bank early and stayed there (he also said that they got turned over outside and at Mile end tube station).
The book is based on his diary so its not a literary masterpiece but bits are interesting a few descriptions of changing fashion and football related aggro in the late 60s early 70s,if you can get a cheap copy off e bay its worth a read.
Looks like I will have to buy the book then. At that game the Mile End mob left just before the end and we thought, up in the kids enclosure, that they had 'bottled' it by making an early exit. I learned later from a cousin who was part of the mob, and from the same area as Micky Smith, that they planned an ambush outside. Most of the firm were already in there late teens and were mods or pre-skinheads.I was always amazed , pre-internet and mobile phones, how such large numbers would turn up at a given time and place like a 'flash mob' today. Word of mouth spread like wildfire. I remember a rumour, back in the day, that went around London in an hour or so that Jimmy Greaves was dead. Totally untrue and a brilliant wind-up.
Dormeuil has done some very Modernist Mohair cloths this season but they have cut down on the Tonik Mohair selection again now, its just black and midnight blue.
The iphone makes them look dull or really bright but they are really nice. I especially like the rust color and the green.
Check out this guys blog,very cool.The clothing is Top Notch (although way out of my price range) I'm sure you do very well in Union Sq.Mr.Reeves.
Very popular with Teds, the old man had several pairs of these in the late 50's early 60's
Checked the price on these.I think it's high because the workers are probably Union and we know that Union made in the US is great stuff but the price is related to the high hourly wage the Union workers get.My only reservation with any of these is the crepe sole which wears down in the city (pavement and cement) Thats why I went with the Clark's Bushacre 2 with synthetic sole.Lasts longer on the pavement.The blue suede is always cool as well (had a similar shoe back in the day Italian made)
Basset,i totally agree with your list mate can i add fat birds in leggings ? With the sun coming out in Bristol this week i noticed some girls in VERY short denim cut offs,sounds great (and can be) i have to say that these should be bannsd over size 10 (or maybe 12 ?). Can anyone else remember how in the 70s that girls would get an old pair of levis cut them off unpick the stitching insert a triangle of material and make a skirt ? they would wear them in the summer maybe at the beach and could look good.Of course girls were taught needlework at school then (boys too at our school were shown the basics,like sewing a button on).
I know what yer saying, the sun is a beast of mixed blessings.
Lads at my school had to do needlework, i remember having to make a denim waistcoat complete with wonky stiching, the urge to put the foot pedal of the sewing machine to the floor was to much
Herewith, the cover of the first issue of 'Target', published by NEL in the early '70s. The 'Bovver boy' character is on the front cover, and the poster to which the giant man has referred was almost identical to this drawing.
[The sachet of brine shrimp cysts (so-called 'powder') has been removed from this cover, in case you're wondering. You had to provide your own salt, btw. Think I used Saxa, which may explain why the things died. As I said before, the skinhead in the cartoon strip was a loser, which is odd as the publication came from the same stable as the 'Richard Allen' books and the magazine offered discounts on what they called, if memory serves me, 'skinhead clobber'.]
What's more amazing to me is that I actually met 'Buttons', the guy in the photo below 'Bovver Boy'. I knew someone who knew him.
- Mod to Suedehead
- › Saturday Night Football schedule 2014: Live Stream, watch online... 14 seconds ago
- › Saturday Night Football schedule 2014: Live Stream, watch online... 28 seconds ago
- › 2014 ncaa=Enjoy Western Illinois vs Northwestern Live 37 seconds ago
- › Saturday Night Football schedule 2014: Live Stream, watch online... 37 seconds ago
- › NCAA Saturday Night Live: Bowling Green Falcons vs Wisconsin Badgers 50 seconds ago
- › NCAA Saturday Night Live: Troy Trojans vs Georgia Bulldogs 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread 1 minute ago
- › NCAA Saturday Night Live: Eastern Michigan Eagles vs Michigan State... 1 minute ago
- › 2014 ncaa=Enjoy Iowa vs Pittsburgh Live Stream 1 minute ago
- › Friday Challenge 19th September 2014: Brown tie without a staple... 1 minute ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)