Welcome cerneabbas! The Forum inspired me to plunder parts of my brain I forgot existed.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:26 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 814post #12197 of 238785/7/13 at 3:17pmQuote:
I saw an organ grinder type with his monkey a few months ago while in San Francisco they usually don't do the organ anymore but I've saw them do that before as well it was nearly 20 years ago though, I've heard its quite common in New York City and quite a few places in Europe, do they outlaw it in the UK?post #12198 of 238785/7/13 at 9:47pmpost #12199 of 238785/7/13 at 10:03pm
The Monkey jacket was originally naval uniform. There're several references to them in 'Moby dick':
At last some four or five of us were summoned to our meal in an adjoining room. It was cold as Iceland -- no fire at all -- the landlord said he couldn't afford it. Nothing but two dismal tallow candles, each in a winding sheet. We were fain to button up our monkey jackets, and hold to our lips cups of scalding tea with our half frozen fingers.
Not sure of the derivation, but 'monkey' was often used as a diminutive e.g., monkey-rope, powder monkey. The original style of jacket was not like today's (or more accurately, yesteryear's) monkey jacket, though. My guess is that our monkey jacket is not descended from the naval one, but the term 'monkey' (meaning short) has been borrowed from seafarer's jargon.
btw: I remember squirrel monkeys in little short jackets (and fezzes) at circuses and fairs. Haven't seen one for years, on a barrel organ or otherwise). Must be illegal in the UK at least now.post #12200 of 238785/7/13 at 10:33pmThe first time that i saw these jackets called monkey jackets was in Micky Smiths book Want some aggro?,i was curious so i looked online and saw the jackets that we called golf or golfing jackets back then.I have been thinking about buying one from e;bay a navy blue jacket with white and sky blue trim,the seller is urbancoutureclothingltd,does anyone know anything about the jackets and can you recommend them (or warn against). The other jacket i was interested to see mentioned in Micky Smiths book was the leather us air force jacket,he actually says his got slashed with a knife at a football match.He also mentions the West Ham v Man Utd match that Bob the badger talked about in his post on here.post #12201 of 238785/7/13 at 11:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by cerneabbas
Hello, i am a 55 year old bloke from Bristol ,i came online looking for a pair of longwing brogues (still looking) and found this thread.
I have read the thread right through (finished yesterday) and its been a brilliant few days,brought back so many memories.
In work we have conversations about the clothes and shoes in the 60s/70s and how much more stylish and smarter people where then.
I still wear some of the same style of clothes that i wore in 1970/71,i was only 12 or 13 then i didnt get a suit or a crombie (i had a crombie later on).
One item mentioned was steel combs,i had forgotten all about them,we called the girls ones "rat tails" (the ones with a spike for a handle).
A funny coincidence is that i remember pressuredrop on here from school (he must have been 2 years above me) he always looked very smart and we wanted to copy him and his mates style.
I look about me now and see so many scruffy gits (not only youngsters either) it can be a bit depresssing,its good to have found some people with a smarter attitude.post #12202 of 238785/8/13 at 12:40amQuote:
Gert lush...I consider myself Bristolian myself, although I wasn't actually born there, and I don't live in Bristle now. But will be coming home in a couple of weeks for a jar of Thatcher's or Smile's or something.post #12203 of 238785/8/13 at 2:14amQuote:Originally Posted by cerneabbas
The first time that i saw these jackets called monkey jackets was in Micky Smiths book Want some aggro?,i was curious so i looked online and saw the jackets that we called golf or golfing jackets back then.I have been thinking about buying one from e;bay a navy blue jacket with white and sky blue trim,the seller is urbancoutureclothingltd,does anyone know anything about the jackets and can you recommend them (or warn against). The other jacket i was interested to see mentioned in Micky Smiths book was the leather us air force jacket,he actually says his got slashed with a knife at a football match.He also mentions the West Ham v Man Utd match that Bob the badger talked about in his post on here.
Hi cerneabbas, What does Micky Smith write about the Man Utd game? I haven't read the book and it seems to get bad reviews. He is about the same age as me so I suppose he was at the game. I knew a Micky Smith, but didn't we all?
Had a girlfriend from Bristol in the mid 70's. A small group of us used to travel down to Torquay on a Bank Holiday and meet up with groups from Bristol and Birmingham in 'the Yacht' pub. No aggro then. just debauchery.post #12204 of 238785/8/13 at 4:27ampost #12205 of 238785/8/13 at 4:46ampost #12206 of 238785/8/13 at 4:48ampost #12207 of 238785/8/13 at 4:49ampost #12208 of 238785/8/13 at 4:55am
Hello Bob the badger,Micky Smith says the same as you,Man utd got in the North bank early and stayed there (he also said that they got turned over outside and at Mile end tube station).
The book is based on his diary so its not a literary masterpiece but bits are interesting a few descriptions of changing fashion and football related aggro in the late 60s early 70s,if you can get a cheap copy off e bay its worth a read.post #12209 of 238785/8/13 at 5:03amQuote:
Think you could both be right here. A couple of online dictionaries I've looked at give definition of "monkey jacket" as short, close-fitting jacket worn by sailors, waiters & officers in mess and one gives origin of that usage as 1820 - 1830 "from its resemblance to a jacket worn by an organ- grinder's monkey".post #12210 of 238785/8/13 at 5:09am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 1 minute ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL 6 minutes ago
- › Indochino suits? 10 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 10 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 10 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 12 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding