or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 813

post #12181 of 18728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Hello, i am a 55 year old bloke from Bristol ,i came online looking for a pair of longwing brogues (still looking) and found this thread.

I have read the thread right through (finished yesterday) and its been a brilliant few days,brought back so many memories.

In work we have conversations about the clothes and shoes in the 60s/70s and how much more stylish and smarter people where then.

I still wear some of the same style of clothes that i wore in 1970/71,i was only 12 or 13 then i didnt get a suit or a crombie (i had a crombie later on).

One item mentioned was steel combs,i had forgotten all about them,we called the girls ones "rat tails" (the ones with a spike for a handle).

A funny coincidence is that i remember pressuredrop on here from school (he must have been 2 years above me) he always looked very smart and we wanted to copy him and his mates style.

I look about me now and see so many scruffy gits (not only youngsters either) it can be a bit depresssing,its good to have found some people with a smarter attitude.

Welcome cerneabbas.We could use a Bristol perspective.

post #12182 of 18728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Hello, i am a 55 year old bloke from Bristol ,i came online looking for a pair of longwing brogues (still looking) and found this thread.

I have read the thread right through (finished yesterday) and its been a brilliant few days,brought back so many memories.

In work we have conversations about the clothes and shoes in the 60s/70s and how much more stylish and smarter people where then.

I still wear some of the same style of clothes that i wore in 1970/71,i was only 12 or 13 then i didnt get a suit or a crombie (i had a crombie later on).

One item mentioned was steel combs,i had forgotten all about them,we called the girls ones "rat tails" (the ones with a spike for a handle).

A funny coincidence is that i remember pressuredrop on here from school (he must have been 2 years above me) he always looked very smart and we wanted to copy him and his mates style.

I look about me now and see so many scruffy gits (not only youngsters either) it can be a bit depresssing,its good to have found some people with a smarter attitude.


A gert big welcome, from one Bristolian to another

post #12183 of 18728
One big Bristolian lovefest going on here! Welcome Cerneabbas (big fella are you smile.gif ?) So what house were you in? Nicholas? Hancocks? Smiths?
post #12184 of 18728
Thanks for the welcome,i ts a bit strange but having read through the thread i already know some of your ideas and thoughts so its almost like you are not total strangers. Well done on the cerne abbas deduction Chris,i like to think i am... haha. moneys house. Going back to the steel comb,i wonder if anyone can remember a poster (A 3 size ?) given away in a comic of a cartoon skinhead,wearing boots,jeans with turn ups,a steel comb in his back pocket stood next to a milestone pointing to bovver ? I cant remember the name of the comic but i remember having the poster on the bedroom wall. Also can anyone remember the song "skinheads" by Fred Wedlock ? i tried to explain it to a 27 year old that i work a few weeks ago,after explaining what a skinhead was,what a parking meter was,what fruit gums were....i gave up.
post #12185 of 18728
Some Original Skinheads from Liverpool discuss 'Como' shoes. Are these the 60s version Solatios? I think that's what is being described here -

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3865.html

Was asking around about the wearing of blazers around our way back in the day - it missed us. Suit jackets worn with different coloured sta-prest, but no blazers and badges though.


Hello Cerneabbas biggrin.gif
post #12186 of 18728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

...Going back to the steel comb,i wonder if anyone can remember a poster (A 3 size ?) given away in a comic of a cartoon skinhead,wearing boots,jeans with turn ups,a steel comb in his back pocket stood next to a milestone pointing to bovver ? I cant remember the name of the comic but i remember having the poster on the bedroom wall..
Mentioned this a few posts back. From 'Target' magazine circa 1972.
post #12187 of 18728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Also can anyone remember the song "skinheads" by Fred Wedlock ? i tried to explain it to a 27 year old that i work a few weeks ago,after explaining what a skinhead was,what a parking meter was,what fruit gums were....i gave up.


Welcome to the forum buddy. Is this Miles Wootton song the one of which you speak? For the younger '80s and younger set on here, the Last Resort reworked/plagiarised this as "Violence In Our minds":
post #12188 of 18728
Thanks for that Watermelon man,just shows how carefully i read the thread ! I have to say that Target does not ring any bells with me,the poster was obviously what i bought the magazine for,sad but i was about 13. I saw earlier in the thread someone put up a picture of some burgundy Pierre Cardin brogues,they are a longwing and are also in blue or tan,they are quite lightweight with a leather sole and are reduced to £70 in Pavers shoes (i saw them in Swindon outlet centre but they have a website).
post #12189 of 18728
Thats the song Botolph....listening to it took me back a long time,it must be over 35 years since i heard it last ! !
post #12190 of 18728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post


One can only imagine what record it might have been playing....


BTW has the subject of football songs been brought up before, or is it one of those things that's too bad that people might want not remember? I had "Nice One Cyril" by The Cockerel Chorus. biggrin.gif

I had (and still have) Manchester City's 1972 single "The Boys in Blue". Composed by three members of 10CC - but obviously not one of their better efforts:

 

400-4314.jpg

post #12191 of 18728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Queenie View Post


When I was a kid I remember people saying 'it looks like a monkey jacket on you' implying a jacket was too short: a reference to barrel organ monkeys in their short jackets.

That has a ring of credibility to it - just the sort of thing your grandma might have come out with and her generation would have been familiar with barrel organ monkeys I'd guess.

post #12192 of 18728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Hello, i am a 55 year old bloke from Bristol ,i came online looking for a pair of longwing brogues (still looking) and found this thread.

I have read the thread right through (finished yesterday) and its been a brilliant few days,brought back so many memories.

In work we have conversations about the clothes and shoes in the 60s/70s and how much more stylish and smarter people where then.

I still wear some of the same style of clothes that i wore in 1970/71,i was only 12 or 13 then i didnt get a suit or a crombie (i had a crombie later on).

One item mentioned was steel combs,i had forgotten all about them,we called the girls ones "rat tails" (the ones with a spike for a handle).

A funny coincidence is that i remember pressuredrop on here from school (he must have been 2 years above me) he always looked very smart and we wanted to copy him and his mates style.

I look about me now and see so many scruffy gits (not only youngsters either) it can be a bit depresssing,its good to have found some people with a smarter attitude.

Welcome, cerneabbas. Same vintage as me and I also first found the thread following up Royals ... agree with what you say about prevalence of scruffdom.

post #12193 of 18728
Welcome cerneabbas.
post #12194 of 18728
Thanks elwood,i have read your posts with interest because i followed football back then (only listen on the radio matchdays now). Scruffs...i see too many blokes our age wearing jogging/sweat pants "cos theyre comfy" and cheap lidl/aldi trainers "cos theyre comfy"...the worst story i heard recently was when someone i work with went to a funeral and a bloke in his fifties turned up in a TRACKSUIT !
post #12195 of 18728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Thanks elwood,i have read your posts with interest because i followed football back then (only listen on the radio matchdays now). Scruffs...i see too many blokes our age wearing jogging/sweat pants "cos theyre comfy" and cheap lidl/aldi trainers "cos theyre comfy"...the worst story i heard recently was when someone i work with went to a funeral and a bloke in his fifties turned up in a TRACKSUIT !


Or even worse, crocs! went to the North Somerset show yesterday and they had a stall there, the urge to burn it down was overwhelming

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead