or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 807

post #12091 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

Just enjoyed watching The Town on DVD.Particularly Jeremy Renner.The guy with the Irish Flag and Boston zip code tattoo was classic.Can't say I'm a fan of the whole Boston/Irish thing,but it made for a good Movie.

Funny stuff that guy is from my hometown.

post #12092 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post


I always keep a few sneaky bits of evidence up me sleeve, Bunty .... just in case.


I'm grateful you posted that photo Bunty otherwise I would have come across as bit of a twat. The Scholl sandals were pre-skinhead for us but all the boys that wore them later became skinheads, because of their interest in clothes and trends.

post #12093 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Queenie View Post


Yes, that surprised me a bit too! However they're not like the ones I wear which are very feminine looking, but that was what I was picturing when you mentioned them!


The Scholl sandals weren't Feminine looking, but they were Unisex. Some girls wore the flat ones but I think there was a raised heel version for them.

I think I've probably said enough about Scholl sandals. I might lose any credibility I have. Time to move on, but I will be returning to the intial badge blazers. I just need some photo evidence from Buttons (or I need to go into the loft and find some old photos of me and my mates). There has been one photo on this site with a boy wearing such a blazer.

post #12094 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

Yes the blazer was not ideal but The Prisoner series at the time was iconic and way ahead of its time for us young'uns.  I recall watching it repeated on TV around 1976 and then again about 10 years ago - never got bored with it

 

The monkey jackets I recall from around 67 were similar design to yours but with no striping or motifs and in nylon and always dark blue - also referred to as 'Blue Zippers'

 

Another monkey jacket that we had the following year or two were in suede - again also referred to as 'Suede Zippers' - we didn't make life complicated


I had a nylon monkey jacket in '67 bought from Romford market, but mine was brown and one size too big for me (I never did grow into it). As you say simple with just a zipper, no striping, no logos, cheap as chips. I remember the suede zippers but they were more pricey.

post #12095 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post


I'm grateful you posted that photo Bunty otherwise I would have come across as bit of a twat. The Scholl sandals were pre-skinhead for us but all the boys that wore them later became skinheads, because of their interest in clothes and trends.
Does Bunty get the credit for all the photos on here?!
Only kidding.
Its an interesting thing to throw in the mix though. I've learned lots of little things like that on here.
post #12096 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post


Does Bunty get the credit for all the photos on here?!
Only kidding.
Its an interesting thing to throw in the mix though. I've learned lots of little things like that on here.


Sorry buttons. My mistake. Great detective work with the photos.

post #12097 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post


The Scholl sandals weren't Feminine looking, but they were Unisex. Some girls wore the flat ones but I think there was a raised heel version for them.
I think I've probably said enough about Scholl sandals. I might lose any credibility I have. Time to move on, but I will be returning to the intial badge blazers. I just need some photo evidence from Buttons (or I need to go into the loft and find some old photos of me and my mates). There has been one photo on this site with a boy wearing such a blazer.
Depends on what kind of picture you're looking for!
Would be far better if made a trip to the loft.
post #12098 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post


Hold on, that was me, last Saturday - Black Barathea with Sunderland patch and white silk, 'Squire Shop' button down and tailored POW with thin blue line.


That is a 'classic' look buttons and could have been me in 1969, down at Ilford Palais on a Sunday night. I had made-to-measure POW trousers in a dark grey to go with the blazer which had a centre vent and metal buttons and patch pockets .My badge on the patch top pocket had my three initials in a gold shield. I wore Squire shop or Bronx shop shirts but in '69 it would have probably been a Ben Sherman. I have the badge in the loft and will post it to see if it stirs any memories. We never had our football team badge because wearing one in London could lead you into a 'situation' that might get out of hand.

post #12099 of 18819

Jeremy Renner (great actor) in the Town(good flick about Chelsea).      M.O.M.love the pic.I've seen those type of shoes on the shelves and online in the past couple years.Nice Guitar too.       Buttons,Tight as Fcuk man (as always)

post #12100 of 18819
M-o-M These are the blue canvas shoes that I meant, also worn by the Villagers in The Prisoner. I like your higher ankle ones too.



1967 (of course)

Buttons - Great photo, are you dancing in a giant tambourine?...all this psychedelia eh?
post #12101 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post

M-o-M These are the blue canvas shoes that I meant, also worn by the Villagers in The Prisoner. I like your higher ankle ones too.



1967 (of course)

Buttons - Great photo, are you dancing in a giant tambourine?...all this psychedelia eh?



Were they wearing Keds/Pro-Keds in the Prisoner? Or perhaps Superga plimsols?
post #12102 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post

Blazers - Very 1971 around Manchester, top button only fastened. Usually black (known as 'Baratheas') and worn with a Lancashire Red Rose Badge (or, if you had ever been there, a Twisted Wheel Badge) Some did have the badge fastened with velcro, then you removed the red rose and attached your school badge to wear it during the day. In the top pocket at night a 'silk' hankie was worn, though of course it was rarely silk, usually in the colour of your football team. I had a navy blazer with a sky blue hankie, which I tended to wear with a pair of Prince of Wales check trousers which had a thin light blue line in them.

Definitely 1971. Black barathea, as you say - I think that was the type of cloth? Saw the Red Rose badge most often but do remember a few Twisted Wheels. Never really saw football team badges in my neck of the woods. As in London that probably invited too much "close interest", ahem. The Lancashire Rose was more neutral in that sense (until you crossed the Pennines, of course) and as the Lancs CC team was all-conquering in one-day cricket at the time, everyone identified with it even more - at least that's my theory.

 

I do remember double rear vents. And silver buttons were essential; usually four or five on the sleeve but I can distinctly remember seeing someone with a Twisted Wheel badged blazer with what must have been a dozen buttons on the sleeves right the way to his elbows!

 

Had PoW check with thin red line myself. Went well with the red socks - and wasn't seen as a matter of football allegiance amongst my mates (or I wouldn't have worn them). Will have to get the light blue variety now though I think.

post #12103 of 18819
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post


Hold on, that was me, last Saturday - Black Barathea with Sunderland patch and white silk, 'Squire Shop' button down and tailored POW with thin blue line.


That description, thats you that is, good nite, went for the colour brown so's to celebrate the fact that i could drink brown splits and hide spillages/ dribbles when i'd had to much.

Blazers, one of my favourite garments, i look a bit worse for wear in this pic, but not as bad as Frank Mclintock who appears to have had a wee accident biggrin.gif

post #12104 of 18819

I sometimes wear this one, Patch pockets, Centre vent but horn style buttons. usually wear it with POW strides also...

Badge is in the centre of pocket but leaned in to take a photo mwink[1].gif

 

...And of course, No second rate manchester badge for me wink.gif

 

*

post #12105 of 18819
(Back in the originals' days)When wearing the blazers, were the 3/2 roll type preferred or a 2-button? How about vents, double or single, hook? Natural Ivy style shoulders? Patch pockets I presume?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead