Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 10/16/12 at 7:16pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Hiras Fashion
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 801
Styleforum Top Picks
Could be a case of the devil being in the detail perhaps? i find a lot of modern clobber like that, take the humble v neck jumper, theres loads around nice colours fabrics etc, but on many the v opening is so shallow that you struggle to get a shirt collar inside it, then again could be me double chin
Its the trendy thing to be "fitted". Its because the type of clothes that us lot are into, are "on trend", so the cut and fit is being designed for a "younger" market. Its all balls of course, and most people just go up a size.
Kid in a cardigan - 1971.
FR link: http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/batford-youth-club-charity-walk/Memory/7963b392-d9fe-41a2-9bfe-a13600ec3374
Skinheads on a charity walk? I bet THAT never made the papers!
Back in the 60s before they became popular we had our Crombie made at our local tailors..they was heavy wool, three flapped pockets and breast pocket...fairly narrow lapels...the coat was well waisted and knee length, fly button of course. Lining was mostly Dark red and the tailor would give you a bit of scrap lining to make a hanky.
Once they became popular you could buy them off the peg and down the market.
Even when the skinhead fashion had ended we still wore our Crombie to football as a warm Jacket..I remember going to Everton away in 71...most of us was wearing Crombies...the Scousers mugged a few lads for their crombies on the way to the ground..
What worth noting Crombie is the company that makes the coat...I never saw anyone with a genuine Crombie ?? in saying that....we would never had known that Crombie was a coat company back then.
These days I have a Paul Smith, Made in Italy...Crombie...well smart and fcuking useless in the winter no warmth,
Some present day Skinheads go to Adams in Portobello Market...They do a nice Crombie at a cheap price.
There was an article in last week's Telegraph about Crombie ("The coat of choice for the KGB, skinheads, City bankers and bookies") http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG9988101/Mencyclopaedia-Crombie.html . Says that Crombie didn't start making coats themselves until 1985. Before then, they manufactured the cloth so a "genuine" Crombie in those days would be Crombie cloth made up by your own tailor - but the name got applied to similar coats I suppose.
From memory, I bought my Crombie (with the Crombie label inside) off the peg from Dunn & Co in Romford. The shop was next door to Alexandra's where I bought a made-to-measure Prince of Wales jacket. The coat was very similar to the present day Retro coat with
Above Knee length (just about)
2 Horizontal side pockets (no ticket pocket)
The Lapels/collar as the Retro but no Velvet collar.
Mine wasn't as shaped (darted) as the Retro.
I remember I actually preferred some of the Crombie copies which were cheaper but had a better shaped lapel. The coat was 'christened' at East Ham station when my mate threw up on my back after a 'heavy' night drinking at the Black Boy, Stepney Green.
Heres an article from todays Guardian that might be of interest to some: http://m.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/apr/26/modern-mods-music-no-good
What a lot of hot air. Looks like he's been paid to write an article about something he knew little about or even had an opinion on, but wrote it anyway.
Good picture though.
Just found this, an assortment of '67 Mod styles -
Mods outside the club Tiles. Bee Gees Live Performance,1967
corker23.Unfortunate stuation.I walked away from the Mod revival/retro idea by 81 when Indie rock began.It's one thing to incorperate some Mod styles as a nod to your origins but a complete retro attitude is sad to me.I remember in the 80's there were alot of 60's garage bands with all the bells and whistles also a little silly.If new so called Mod bands are influenced by The Who,Small Faces,The Action,and Creation then you've missed the point.Oasis was Pathetic.I was shocked when I first saw them in a Mag and thought "Mod revival Again?! The numerous Ska revivals over the years have been even worse.Shall I stop now?
- Mod to Suedehead
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › opinions on shoes with suit 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III 13 minutes ago
- › Red Wing 9184 Cooper Rough & Tough Moccasin Boots US 10.5 UK 9.5 15 minutes ago
- › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 23 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 26 minutes ago
- › TM Lewin Devliery Times? 32 minutes ago
- › 2013 College Football Thread 38 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by ahilal
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw