Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 801
Styleforum Top Picks
Could be a case of the devil being in the detail perhaps? i find a lot of modern clobber like that, take the humble v neck jumper, theres loads around nice colours fabrics etc, but on many the v opening is so shallow that you struggle to get a shirt collar inside it, then again could be me double chin
Its the trendy thing to be "fitted". Its because the type of clothes that us lot are into, are "on trend", so the cut and fit is being designed for a "younger" market. Its all balls of course, and most people just go up a size.
Kid in a cardigan - 1971.
FR link: http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/batford-youth-club-charity-walk/Memory/7963b392-d9fe-41a2-9bfe-a13600ec3374
Skinheads on a charity walk? I bet THAT never made the papers!
Back in the 60s before they became popular we had our Crombie made at our local tailors..they was heavy wool, three flapped pockets and breast pocket...fairly narrow lapels...the coat was well waisted and knee length, fly button of course. Lining was mostly Dark red and the tailor would give you a bit of scrap lining to make a hanky.
Once they became popular you could buy them off the peg and down the market.
Even when the skinhead fashion had ended we still wore our Crombie to football as a warm Jacket..I remember going to Everton away in 71...most of us was wearing Crombies...the Scousers mugged a few lads for their crombies on the way to the ground..
What worth noting Crombie is the company that makes the coat...I never saw anyone with a genuine Crombie ?? in saying that....we would never had known that Crombie was a coat company back then.
These days I have a Paul Smith, Made in Italy...Crombie...well smart and fcuking useless in the winter no warmth,
Some present day Skinheads go to Adams in Portobello Market...They do a nice Crombie at a cheap price.
There was an article in last week's Telegraph about Crombie ("The coat of choice for the KGB, skinheads, City bankers and bookies") http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG9988101/Mencyclopaedia-Crombie.html . Says that Crombie didn't start making coats themselves until 1985. Before then, they manufactured the cloth so a "genuine" Crombie in those days would be Crombie cloth made up by your own tailor - but the name got applied to similar coats I suppose.
From memory, I bought my Crombie (with the Crombie label inside) off the peg from Dunn & Co in Romford. The shop was next door to Alexandra's where I bought a made-to-measure Prince of Wales jacket. The coat was very similar to the present day Retro coat with
Above Knee length (just about)
2 Horizontal side pockets (no ticket pocket)
The Lapels/collar as the Retro but no Velvet collar.
Mine wasn't as shaped (darted) as the Retro.
I remember I actually preferred some of the Crombie copies which were cheaper but had a better shaped lapel. The coat was 'christened' at East Ham station when my mate threw up on my back after a 'heavy' night drinking at the Black Boy, Stepney Green.
Heres an article from todays Guardian that might be of interest to some: http://m.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/apr/26/modern-mods-music-no-good
What a lot of hot air. Looks like he's been paid to write an article about something he knew little about or even had an opinion on, but wrote it anyway.
Good picture though.
Just found this, an assortment of '67 Mod styles -
Mods outside the club Tiles. Bee Gees Live Performance,1967
corker23.Unfortunate stuation.I walked away from the Mod revival/retro idea by 81 when Indie rock began.It's one thing to incorperate some Mod styles as a nod to your origins but a complete retro attitude is sad to me.I remember in the 80's there were alot of 60's garage bands with all the bells and whistles also a little silly.If new so called Mod bands are influenced by The Who,Small Faces,The Action,and Creation then you've missed the point.Oasis was Pathetic.I was shocked when I first saw them in a Mag and thought "Mod revival Again?! The numerous Ska revivals over the years have been even worse.Shall I stop now?
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Rogue Territory: Handmade Denim Goods 1 second ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 5 seconds ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 2 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 9 minutes ago
- › Affordable Kitchens Design London ideas 10 minutes ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 12 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 19 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 19 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 23 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)