or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 81

post #1201 of 18909
Don't forget these too(whether it be ska or Reggae):
The Kingstonians - Hold Down
The Kingstonians - Sufferer
The Bleechers - Come into my Parlour
The Maytones - Judgement A Come
The Jubilees - Farewell To My Baby
The Melodians - Sweet Sensation
Toots and The Maytals - Broadway Jungle
Jimmy Cliff - King of Kings
Millie - Enoch Power


I might get crucified for saying this but here goes: What did you guys think of Led Zeppelin's D'yer Mak'er? It came out in 73' and it has Reggae influence. anyone?. . . .
post #1202 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHT View Post
I might get crucified for saying this...

I'll hold your coat for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHT View Post
...but here goes: What did you guys think of Led Zeppelin's D'yer Mak'er? It came out in 73' and it has Reggae influence. anyone?

A page or so back you'll see a pic of me in a Levi jacket. That was actually taken at the Bath Blues Festival (I had gone there to see Champion Jack Dupree). Zep were on the bill. Frankly I never saw the point in them, never saw why people raved about them. Robert Plant did a good line in screaming. The definitive version of "Stairway To Heaven" was by Rolf Harris. End of.
post #1203 of 18909
By the way, I just received a pair of Relco Sta-Prest strides by mail order. Stone colour, and the first pair of Sta-Prest I have ever bought since my Levis pair in '69. Of course I am now middle-aged and portly, rather than the racing snake I was back in the day, but they look good and fit well. 'Er indoors approves, so that's good.
post #1204 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
I'll hold your coat for you. A page or so back you'll see a pic of me in a Levi jacket. That was actually taken at the Bath Blues Festival (I had gone there to see Champion Jack Dupree). Zep were on the bill. Frankly I never saw the point in them, never saw why people raved about them. Robert Plant did a good line in screaming. The definitive version of "Stairway To Heaven" was by Rolf Harris. End of.
hehe, I'm not a LZ fan. I just like that one song. I know(have heard) that they plagiarized most/all their hits,etc. Just want to know if maybe you knew about this at the time(late70'-early71'). Black Sabbath wrote a song called Fairies wear boots and this is how this song was created(supposedly): Fairies Wear Boots" was inspired by a time when Ozzy and Geezer were hassled by skinheads, thus an insult to the boot-wearing "fairy" skinheads. I thought it was a funny but interesting trivia(I just wonder if they got their asses kicked for having long hair,lol) Just curious, for pants/sta prest what colors were common for skinheads to wear? was grey, olive green or burgundy, etc common/seen?
post #1205 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHT View Post
Just want to know if maybe you knew about this at the time(late70'-early71'). Black Sabbath wrote a song called Fairies wear boots and this is how this song was created(supposedly): Fairies Wear Boots" was inspired by a time when Ozzy and Geezer were hassled by skinheads, thus an insult to the boot-wearing "fairy" skinheads. I thought it was a funny but interesting trivia(I just wonder if they got their asses kicked for having long hair,lol)

Ozzie never did worry much about being politically correct, did he!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHT View Post
Just curious, for pants/sta prest what colors were common for skinheads to wear? was grey, olive green or burgundy, etc common/seen?

Stone. That's it as regards Sta-Prest. Any other strides would be Toniks or PoW.
post #1206 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
Ozzie never did worry much about being politically correct, did he! Stone. That's it as regards Sta-Prest. Any other strides would be Toniks or PoW.
Ozzy was........ weird... or just plain Ozzy I got 2more for you : -Did you guys always wear brogues/dress shoes with sta prest pants or did you guys also wear them with [levi]jeans? I know that at least now it's common for people to wear dress shoes with jeans so just want to know if maybe you guys also did the same at times. -When you wore your short sleeve button down shirts, did you guys sometimes cuff/roll them or not?
post #1207 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHT View Post
-Did you guys always wear brogues/dress shoes with sta prest pants or did you guys also wear them with [levi]jeans? I know that at least now it's common for people to wear dress shoes with jeans so just want to know if maybe you guys also did the same at times.

In the pic below you can see me wearing boots with Sta-Prests. This is mainly because at the time I had them cut to a length which might (as you can see) have looked "half mast" with shoes. But...

... Sta-Prests and Levis were worn with brogues and/or other good shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHT View Post
-When you wore your short sleeve button down shirts, did you guys sometimes cuff/roll them or not?

Nope.


.
post #1208 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
By the way, I just received a pair of Relco Sta-Prest strides by mail order. Stone colour, and the first pair of Sta-Prest I have ever bought since my Levis pair in '69. Of course I am now middle-aged and portly, rather than the racing snake I was back in the day, but they look good and fit well. 'Er indoors approves, so that's good.

Hi all great thread

i find with the relco sta prest better to go up a size otherwise there a bit tight on the thighs.
post #1209 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveSuede View Post
i find with the relco sta prest better to go up a size otherwise there a bit tight on the thighs.

LOL - doesn't come more "up" than 42" waist, and that's what I had to go for!
post #1210 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
LOL - doesn't come more "up" than 42" waist, and that's what I had to go for!

Yeah im normally a 36" but had to go to a 38" but they aint bad quality but nothing like levi sta's.
post #1211 of 18909
Just curious, for pants/sta prest what colors were common for skinheads to wear? was grey, olive green or burgundy, etc common/seen?[/quote]

In the 1978 uk revival we wore stone, white,black and light blue sta prest.Jeans along with 501.s lois and wranglers were worn.
Trousers were prince of wales,toniks and puppy dog tooth check.
post #1212 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHT View Post
I might get crucified for saying this but here goes: What did you guys think of Led Zeppelin's D'yer Mak'er? It came out in 73' and it has Reggae influence. anyone?. . . .

Well, John Paul Jones was/is a big fan of Blues, Jazz, R&B, Soul, Ska, Reggae etc. In the 60's he used to go to the Flamingo, Scene etc and, to me, he is more Mod than Rocker (see also Charlie Watts). Prior to Zep he was a session musician with Immediate records.

EDIt: quote on Wikepedia ' Yeah we (JPJ and John Bohnham)were both huge Motown and Stax fans and general soul music fans, James Brown fan. Which is one of the reasons why I've always said that Zeppelin was one of the few bands to "swing". We actually had a groove in those days. People used to come to our shows and dance, which was great. To see all the women dancing, it was really brilliant. You didn't necessarily see that at a Black Sabbath show or whatever: So we were different in that way. We were a groovy band. We used all our black pop music influences as a key to the rock that went over the top.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHT View Post
hehe, I'm not a LZ fan. I just like that one song. I know(have heard) that they plagiarized most/all their hits,etc.
Just want to know if maybe you knew about this at the time(late70'-early71'). Black Sabbath wrote a song called Fairies wear boots and this is how this song was created(supposedly): Fairies Wear Boots" was inspired by a time when Ozzy and Geezer were
hassled by skinheads, thus an insult to the boot-wearing "fairy" skinheads. I thought it was a funny but interesting trivia(I just wonder if they got their asses kicked for having long hair,lol) .


I've heard that story about 'Fairies Wear Boots' and hassle with skins. However in light of that... I saw a documentary about the making of the 'Paranoid' album on TV (I'm no metaller, far from it, but I don't mind a bit of 'classic rock'- early Zep, Purple etc. Prefer Yardbirds, Artwoods etc though . ) The guitarist said that they had advertised for a singer in the paper and one day there is a knock at the door and a Skinhead was standing there. Said Skinhead was Ozzy Osborne! Apparantly because of this they initially didn't want him to join and made him grow his hair! It's well known that Ozzy is a big Beatles fan but I've heard/read that prior to BS he was a Mod, went to Soul/Mod clubs etc. Therefore it's entirely plausible that in 68 when he auditioned for BS he would have had a hard mod/skin look.

Other Skins turned rockers - Phil Taylor the drummer in Motorhead (there's a photo elsewhere on the site) and Paul DI'Anno the original singer with Iron Maiden.
post #1213 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
By the way, I just received a pair of Relco Sta-Prest strides by mail order. Stone colour, and the first pair of Sta-Prest I have ever bought since my Levis pair in '69. Of course I am now middle-aged and portly, rather than the racing snake I was back in the day, but they look good and fit well. 'Er indoors approves, so that's good.
"Racing Snake"I like that one!I have often wondered about Relco Sta-Prest.Had good reports from another Site that I am on,but I wondered if they did a 40"Waist.
post #1214 of 18909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post
I think any Skinhead reggae playlist should include such tracks as:

Byron Lee - Birth Control
Upsetters - Return of Django
Upsetters - Clint Eastwood
Dave & Ansell Collins - Double Barrell
Pioneers - Long Shot Kick The Bucket
Desmond Dekker - Israelites
Harry J & the All Stars - Liquidator
Symarip - Skinhead Moon Stomp
Maytals - Monkey Man
Maytals - Pressure Drop

(just off the top of my head - fill in the rest, brownie)

Brownie's right about reggae going silly for a while. It lost direction until the 70s wave of Jah-oriented material and heavy dub came along.
Here are some of my Faves`(in no particular order).
Laurel Aitken - Landlord and Tenant
Kingstonians - Singer Man.
Soul Mates -Them A laugh A Ki Ki.
Maytals - 54-46 Thats My Number.
The UnTouchables - Tighten Up.
Tony Tribe - Red Red Wine.
The Upsetters - Live Injection.
The Ethiopians - Everything Crash.
Derrick Morgan - Seven Letters.
The Pioneers - Poor Ramases.
Desmond Dekker - 007.
The Skatalites -Guns Of Navarone.
The Skatalites - Phoenix City.(Granted these last 2 are Ska,but they rocked my Boat).
post #1215 of 18909
Some favorites:

Versatiles - Children Get Ready
Pioneers (aka Soulmates, Slickers) - Dem a Laugh, Nana
Sensations - Warrior
Inspirations - Down in the Park, Cinderella
Kingstonians - Sufferer, Nice Nice
Maytones - Loving Reggae
Reggae Girls - Rescue Me
Tennors - Another Scorcher
Mediators - Look Who a Bust Style
Viceroys - Chariot Coming

Upsetters - Live Injection - if you're looking for the carnival music

Also, I was never into the skin-tight jeans. I like slim, with 1/2 inch turn-up. I don't go full-on boot height pants. I keep them high-water compared to today but not enough where I can wear regular shoes with them. Top of the shoe or half-way up the eyelets on boots.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead