or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 779

post #11671 of 17777

I didn't see any Paki bashing back in 1969. I reckon a lot of that was a media creation. Young skinheads might mouth off to the newspapers but my reality was different. We used to go to Brick Lane on a Sunday and the Bangladeshi people had taken up residence there but they were older than us, married with small children. They also tended to dress Western and were trying to fit in. Not like their children and grandchildren today. We didn't see Paki's our age. My Gran, living in the East End, used to call Black people 'Darkies' but it wasn't meant offensively.

We lived in a bubble were we only recognised boys (and girls!) between the ages of 15 to 19. Any fighting tended to be within our peer group. Others were ignored.We used the term Chinky for takeaways. Hardly saw any Chinese except in their shops.We also used the term Paki shop.Young West Indians did their own thing, went to their own clubs,pubs.My mates were only interested in having a good time.In my mob the political views were probably across the spectrum but we didn't spend much time talking politics. We talked about clothes,music,girls,football,clubs and pubs. Immigration was on a scale that could be absorbed. Today, with mass immigration, I feel an outsider in my own City. Racism existed then as it does now. Ask West Indians and Africans what they think of each other. Jews and Arabs.Indians and Pakistani's etc,etc.

During 'the troubles' I was called a Brit on several occasions by Catholics from Northern Ireland. It was meant as an insult but I quite liked the term. Water off a ducks back. I never did get upset by verbal insults.Getting head-butted had a far greater effect on me.

post #11672 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Queenie View Post

I like a bit of aggro: this thread is meant to be about Skinheads after all!

Little Queenie,Skinheads never mellow,just get older smile.gif

What I find laughable is being quoted for things being said in the Past(like 60s and 70s-the name of the Shops should have given that away)and saying it is 2013.Never mind.

Good Photos coming through.
post #11673 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post

I didn't see any Paki bashing back in 1969. I reckon a lot of that was a media creation. Young skinheads might mouth off to the newspapers but my reality was different. We used to go to Brick Lane on a Sunday and the Bangladeshi people had taken up residence there but they were older than us, married with small children. They also tended to dress Western and were trying to fit in. Not like their children and grandchildren today. We didn't see Paki's our age. My Gran, living in the East End, used to call Black people 'Darkies' but it wasn't meant offensively.
We lived in a bubble were we only recognised boys (and girls!) between the ages of 15 to 19. Any fighting tended to be within our peer group. Others were ignored.We used the term Chinky for takeaways. Hardly saw any Chinese except in their shops.We also used the term Paki shop.Young West Indians did their own thing, went to their own clubs,pubs.My mates were only interested in having a good time.In my mob the political views were probably across the spectrum but we didn't spend much time talking politics. We talked about clothes,music,girls,football,clubs and pubs. Immigration was on a scale that could be absorbed. Today, with mass immigration, I feel an outsider in my own City. Racism existed then as it does now. Ask West Indians and Africans what they think of each other. Jews and Arabs.Indians and Pakistani's etc,etc.
During 'the troubles' I was called a Brit on several occasions by Catholics from Northern Ireland. It was meant as an insult but I quite liked the term. Water off a ducks back. I never did get upset by verbal insults.Getting head-butted had a far greater effect on me.

Great read Bob the Badger.
post #11674 of 17777
I have been in relationships with girls who were Black,Korean, Peurto Rican etc and have come up against it myself.(I am White ) I work in a place today where I am a minority.I grew up in a family where religion was political.I was lucky enough to see through it and make my own way in life.
 
On a lighter note...about 20 years ago I was walking in Manhattan,hand in hand with an Asian Girl when a Viet Vet in a wheelchair laughed out at us,smiled and said  :
 
"Dang....I knew the East and the West would figure out their differences one day !"
 

I was reluctant to add to this,but seem it is somewhat relevant to the mindset of the time.It is little wonder that we have moved on in so little in any efforts to eradicate racism,and personally I do not believe we ever will.As long as the fact remains that we have different accents,different skin colour and different physical features,then we have an arsenel of amunittion to attack, insult, abuse and degrade anyone we may choose.That can never be taken out of the picture,like it or not.It is the bottom line and only the individual can decide for themselves to use it or not.

 

"Once the three bold Golliwogs, Golly, Woggie, and Nigger, decided to go for a walk to Bumble-Bee Common. Golly wasn't quite ready so Woggie and Nigger said they would start off without him, and Golly would catch them up as soon as he could. So off went Woggie and Nigger, arm-in-arm, singing merrily their favourite song - which, as you may guess, was Ten Little Nigger Boys."

Ten Little Niggers is the name of a children's poem, sometimes set to music, which celebrates the deaths of ten Black children, one-by-one. The Three Golliwogs was reprinted as recently as 1968, and it still contained the above passage.
 
that was Enid fucking Blyton !
post #11675 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post

Just on the subject of names   - Is it offensive to call someone from Liverpool a Scouser?

My mum would have been offended, but only because she was a bit of a snob and didn't want to be reminded she was born in Liverpool! wink.gif
post #11676 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Here is another Paul from the Mirror photo of Skinhead boy and girl in sheepskin..again donated by Della

Note that the girl says she went to the Barbers to get her hair cut that short like the other girls. ...as also said by my mate Noreen in 69.....and photo evidence of Mary Smith in 68.


I've seen that one from Della, Roy.

Point noted about the barber.
post #11677 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post

I didn't see any Paki bashing back in 1969. I reckon a lot of that was a media creation. Young skinheads might mouth off to the newspapers but my reality was different. We used to go to Brick Lane on a Sunday and the Bangladeshi people had taken up residence there but they were older than us, married with small children. They also tended to dress Western and were trying to fit in. Not like their children and grandchildren today. We didn't see Paki's our age. My Gran, living in the East End, used to call Black people 'Darkies' but it wasn't meant offensively.
We lived in a bubble were we only recognised boys (and girls!) between the ages of 15 to 19. Any fighting tended to be within our peer group. Others were ignored.We used the term Chinky for takeaways. Hardly saw any Chinese except in their shops.We also used the term Paki shop.Young West Indians did their own thing, went to their own clubs,pubs.My mates were only interested in having a good time.In my mob the political views were probably across the spectrum but we didn't spend much time talking politics. We talked about clothes,music,girls,football,clubs and pubs. Immigration was on a scale that could be absorbed. Today, with mass immigration, I feel an outsider in my own City. Racism existed then as it does now. Ask West Indians and Africans what they think of each other. Jews and Arabs.Indians and Pakistani's etc,etc.
During 'the troubles' I was called a Brit on several occasions by Catholics from Northern Ireland. It was meant as an insult but I quite liked the term. Water off a ducks back. I never did get upset by verbal insults.Getting head-butted had a far greater effect on me.

I agree B the B all we was interested in was each other in our own little world...I also agree about P bashing..although I heard it went on and did see some lads chasing a Asian down the road once...we would not dream of doing such a cnuntish thing ,same as Queer bashing it went on but not by our little mob.
We only fought people like us other Skinheads and the Blacks...the Blacks gave as good as they got...You would call em Black Cs but it would not be considered racist ..it was not meant to be, i never heard the N word used much. which really is a awful word.
None of us had any interest in Politics ..If you asked any of us what political party was in power we would not have known what you was talking about biggrin.gif
The world of 68/70 ...was a completely different to 79/80...Just one thing that sticks in my mind all the Council Estates of London was White working class in 68, by 1980 most the White working class had gone from the Estates. I remember Somers Town in 69 one of the biggest estates in Central London...they had one of the largest Skinhead Gangs, in 1980 I was working around there it was 90% Bangladeshi .how could that have happen in Ten Years.
And that brings me to finally say this. never again will you ever see a white working class Fashion/Cult..Why? because their is no White working class left in the Cities Where all cults start.
Our Culture has been destroy by Sixty years of Mass immigration.
post #11678 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMc666 View Post

Not sure if these have been on here before

A foreign view



That first one - I was the person being interviewed, but they didn't use a picture of me. Come to think of it I don't remember one being taken. The NYT reporter went on to be a highly respected investigative journalist, alas no longer with us.
post #11679 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

 
that was Enid fucking Blyton !

Not renowned for her Trotskyism. biggrin.gif
post #11680 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wearing of shirts outside in the summer is something we adopted with the coming of real American BDs.  It was partly in order to display the writing that was often stamped on the tail containing very un-English wording such as ‘soil-away fabric’ or ‘soil release’! Cool ,eh?

Now this is something good for the book.I had wondered about the few photos I saw of skins wearing their shirts with tails a flyin.Cool indeed.I've seen photos and vid of Jamaicans in the early 70's wearing their shirts,1/2 tail in 1/2 out,one pants cuff turned up and one not.The Jamaicans have always been inventive with style(and what they had) Here is Augustus Pablo with 1/2 tail tucked in.

 

post #11681 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post



The world of 68/70 ...was a completely different to 79/80...Just one thing that sticks in my mind all the Council Estates of London was White working class in 68, by 1980 most the White working class had gone from the Estates. I remember Somers Town in 69 one of the biggest estates in Central London...they had one of the largest Skinhead Gangs, in 1980 I was working around there it was 90% Bangladeshi .how could that have happen in Ten Years.
 

In Coney Island Brooklyn there are large projects.They are mostly Russian today and that is only in the last 15 years.It's strange to see the general perception of projects being the home of Non White minorities and Immigrants change to being the home of the  New White European Immigrants(mostly eastern europe and former soviet states) I imagine you have the same in the UK.

post #11682 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


I agree B the B all we was interested in was each other in our own little world...I also agree about P bashing..although I heard it went on and did see some lads chasing a Asian down the road once...we would not dream of doing such a cnuntish thing ,same as Queer bashing it went on but not by our little mob.
We only fought people like us other Skinheads and the Blacks...the Blacks gave as good as they got...You would call em Black Cs but it would not be considered racist ..it was not meant to be, i never heard the N word used much. which really is a awful word.
None of us had any interest in Politics ..If you asked any of us what political party was in power we would not have known what you was talking about biggrin.gif
The world of 68/70 ...was a completely different to 79/80...Just one thing that sticks in my mind all the Council Estates of London was White working class in 68, by 1980 most the White working class had gone from the Estates. I remember Somers Town in 69 one of the biggest estates in Central London...they had one of the largest Skinhead Gangs, in 1980 I was working around there it was 90% Bangladeshi .how could that have happen in Ten Years.
And that brings me to finally say this. never again will you ever see a white working class Fashion/Cult..Why? because their is no White working class left in the Cities Where all cults start.
Our Culture has been destroy by Sixty years of Mass immigration.

No White working class left in London ?  my boys school is 95 % white and in London .

post #11683 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysgame View Post


Yeah, but what about when you wern't around them.

Would i call other blacks 'Nigger ' to my white pals ? ..  no - that would have made me a bit of a tosser.

post #11684 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysgame View Post


Invented by racists? are you for real.baldy[1].gifP
It was a derogatory term first used in the 60s . thus making it RACIST .
post #11685 of 17777
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

IN ONE . Now as we all love Black Music and wear clobber that in the 60s was bordering on 'Wigga ' can we get back on track.

Agreed 100%. Btw I'm listening to Sam Cooke right now. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead