or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 760

post #11386 of 17776

Stamford Bridge ..  probably revival skins late 70s 

post #11387 of 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

 

 

 

 

Got these Robinson's "Andrew Jackson" brogues today.  Thick double oak sole, probably a 1.5" heel, beautiful  leather, sturdy-as-fook shoes.  Maybe not 100% "skinhead", but paired with the dark navy Crombie and some grey trousers I think they're gonna look pissa. 

Wicked Pissa

post #11388 of 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post

With regard to regional differences - all of the following were reputed to have been skinhead wear but I don't recall any being worn near us. Where they popular elsewhere?

 

Collarless 'Union' shirts

Grandad vests

Army Greens

Donkey Jackets

Thick woolie cardigans (you know, the type your Dad might have worn)

 

'Trilbies' - in various styles - only very rarely worn. ( as previously mentioned, I saw lots more berets than trilbies)

 

I remember we were all scathing about the photo on the front of the novel "Skinhead" - style less shirt and scruffy boots - would never have stepped out of the house looking like that!

 

None of our crowd wore Union shirts or Grandad vests

 

Army greens were worn for work generally on the building site together with Donkey Jackets - the Donkeys were practical but definitely not worn out anywhere else

 

Woolly cardigans either fine knit from M&S or the 'cable' type pattern were a loafing about item and we called them 'Smokey Joes' probably because old men with 'roll ups' wore them all the time?

 

Again none of our lot wore hats and the only trilbies were the ones worn by Jamaicans and these we knew as 'Blue beat' hats and had a much narrower brim.

 

I remember Berets being worn by Mods on Vespas in the mid 60s but not on any skinheads

post #11389 of 17776
Around our way 68 most of us had a donkey jacket...especially the winter of 68....Cheap practical warm kit bought in the local Army/Navy/Workwear shop...also we thought we looked the part with our jungle greens and Commando boots.
Even years later I had a Donkey Jacket..mind you it had Brent Council on the back.biggrin.gif
post #11390 of 17776
Never saw / liked Grandad Vests or Collarless Shirts(as stated before)always considered them Hippy.I never had a Donkey Jacket but a couple of Mates did.Jungle Greens have been written about before.

I think you are a bit harsh on some of the latter day Mods Gsvs5 .I have seen many of the younger ones looking very smart.Last month I went to the 100 Club All Nighter,and I was impressed with their turn-out(there was a young Mod Dj on).smile.gif
post #11391 of 17776
Trilbies-Blue Beat Hats early 60s(made a comeback later) and the slightly wider brim ones `69.Always liked the Hats,to me it finished the "Look" off.
post #11392 of 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Wicked Pissa

 

 

 

 

 

Unfawtchunnitly I spilled my laahge regyulurr on them thismonnin' on the way to the baahthroom! biggrin.gif

 

 

Well pleased with the Robinson's brogues.  

 

Gents, digging the banter about jungle greens and donkey jackets.  A good work ensemble I wear every day in the cold weather alongside my black or oxblood Solovairs for work. 

post #11393 of 17776

Mother has often recounted the time when she had spent hours dolling herself up for a date with the old man, only for him to turn up in a donkey jacket, she was not impressed and promptly got the bus home, leaving the old man in the boozer to reflect on his choice of clothing rotflmao.gif

Whilst were on the subject of clothing with a more industrial/practical aspect did anyone wear/see boots with the external steel toecap?
 

post #11394 of 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

Stafford around '68 if my memory serves me right.I did see the odd Donkey jacket in the Boothen End but they were DEFINITELY blokes who had come from work to the game and not a fashion item.One thing that has bothered me for years-with every revival of Mods or whatever is the fact that back then we ALL took pride in the way we looked.Sometimes I feel like telling some of the kids today that they are a disgrace to the style.

I've saw plenty of pictures of revival mod's over the years that almost looked like they were straight up homeless tweakers.

post #11395 of 17776
Girlfriend wanted an animal skin coat, so bought her a donkey jacket, and now she's an ex-girlfriend.
post #11396 of 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

I think you are a bit harsh on some of the latter day Mods Gsvs5 .I have seen many of the younger ones looking very smart.Last month I went to the 100 Club All Nighter,and I was impressed with their turn-out(there was a young Mod Dj on).smile.gif

 

Maybe? I'm sure the 100 Club attracts a few hardcore who care and do really "Get It", but generally over the years I've seen more bad than good.This could also be due partly to the fact that we see multiple elements of the style that had originally evolved over say a ten year period ,all mixed up and thrown together with a dodgy haircut and a pair of (bad) repro shoes.

The easy target (sorry) would be to point the finger at Weller and blame him for it all,but that is a whole other can of worms.

It's been said on here before ,that just because you were a "skinhead" didn't mean that you accepted or wore every element of the look.I for one shunned the braces.I never wore a tie tack/hankie in my Crombie,or donned a pair of red socks,but there was never any doubt of where my sartorial sensibilites lay.Yeah the hats were very cool,but very few could really carry the look off.

The "less is more" school of thought is something that could well serve many I think?

 

I remember seeing a kid get off the bus on the Edgeware road about seven or eight years ago and he had a perfect style/ look going on that I felt I should complement him (I sensibly kept it buttoned !)

He looked un-contrived and effortless,was obviously too young to have been around in the day,but just was able to carry it off and not look like a caricature of the Sixties.

Am I  being unreasonable,unrealistic or just elitist to expect better ? I'm glad you think I am wrong browniecj,things must be on the up.I am sure you are a lot closer and involved in it all than me .Looking forward down the road I expect that there is going to be a huge Ivy influence in the shops with the popularity of Mad Men etc..Now lets see how many purists that will piss off;)

post #11397 of 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

 

Maybe? I'm sure the 100 Club attracts a few hardcore who care and do really "Get It", but generally over the years I've seen more bad than good.This could also be due partly to the fact that we see multiple elements of the style that had originally evolved over say a ten year period ,all mixed up and thrown together with a dodgy haircut and a pair of (bad) repro shoes.

The easy target (sorry) would be to point the finger at Weller and blame him for it all,but that is a whole other can of worms.

It's been said on here before ,that just because you were a "skinhead" didn't mean that you accepted or wore every element of the look.I for one shunned the braces.I never wore a tie tack/hankie in my Crombie,or donned a pair of red socks,but there was never any doubt of where my sartorial sensibilites lay.Yeah the hats were very cool,but very few could really carry the look off.

The "less is more" school of thought is something that could well serve many I think?

 

I remember seeing a kid get off the bus on the Edgeware road about seven or eight years ago and he had a perfect style/ look going on that I felt I should complement him (I sensibly kept it buttoned !)

He looked un-contrived and effortless,was obviously too young to have been around in the day,but just was able to carry it off and not look like a caricature of the Sixties.

Am I  being unreasonable,unrealistic or just elitist to expect better ? I'm glad you think I am wrong browniecj,things must be on the up.I am sure you are a lot closer and involved in it all than me .Looking forward down the road I expect that there is going to be a huge Ivy influence in the shops with the popularity of Mad Men etc..Now lets see how many purists that will piss off;)

The reemergence of Ivy and Mod/Skin is already here.Just discovered this young wipper snapper folk singer Jake Bugg.He sports Levi's a Fred Perry Harrington.Tennis shirts or a BD checked.He knows his history as his parents were Indie musicians in the 80's.The way I look at it.Every era has a a standard.We all know what that was in the 1700's etc.The standard today is Jeans,Tennis shirts(or BD's)Trainers,Baseball caps,and short Windbreaker style jackets.This is the standard from the 60's to the turn of the century.I dread the often portrayed future clothing style of the Jumpsuit with everyone wearing the exact same thing.Terrifying.

post #11398 of 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

He knows his history as his parents were Indie musicians in the 80's.

 

Great !

 

I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight and will probably have nightmares because of this.

post #11399 of 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post

With regard to regional differences - all of the following were reputed to have been skinhead wear but I don't recall any being worn near us. Where they popular elsewhere?

Collarless 'Union' shirts
Grandad vests
Army Greens
Donkey Jackets
Thick woolie cardigans (you know, the type your Dad might have worn)

'Trilbies' - in various styles - only very rarely worn. ( as previously mentioned, I saw lots more berets than trilbies)

I remember we were all scathing about the photo on the front of the novel "Skinhead" - style less shirt and scruffy boots - would never have stepped out of the house looking like that!

Collarless 'Union' shirts - not where I was.

Grandad vests - I saw one, worn by one bloke, in 1968.

Army Greens - Yes, in S E London. See the pic of 'The Smiffies' earlier in this thread. I bought a pair in S E London in 1968, and wore them on a trip back to Blackpool, same year. I don't think my mates in the NW thought much of them.

Donkey Jackets - Nope, never saw them. The only instance I saw was in one photo which someone provided for Yell.

Thick woolie cardigans (you know, the type your Dad might have worn) - You mean the sort that had buttons like cracked conkers? Yes, some of us in S E London wore them, usually in winter. I had one that was green, and eventually I think I gave it to a girlfriend to wear.

Trilbies - They were worn for a time in S E London in 1969. Dark blue.
post #11400 of 17776
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytonboy View Post


How strange to remember that some wore brown DMs - well, there's the Skinhead eye for detail for you!

I always preferred brown boots to red/burgundy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead