or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 742

post #11116 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post

Excellent Pics as usual Bunty mate. The TV is stunning.

Yeah I know that Roy, just wondered whether they were ever referred to as Monkey Jackets as that hadn't been covered.

We called them bomber jackets ...did not refer to them as Monkey jackets am sure of that
post #11117 of 18908
Cheaper alternative to Ben Sherman/Fred Perry/Merc nice collar button downs? Maybe $30-$40 range in the states?
post #11118 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

 

 

 

 

 

Guy, simply get yourself to a good tailor.  Bring said kecks with you, and have gim tailor them to your liking.  I usually ask for "no break" so's the crease stays sharp and they're not baggy. 

  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy... It ain't rocket surgery...


Good advice, which reminds me i need to make a call to the lady who sorts my stuff out

post #11119 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchourbreath View Post

Cheaper alternative to Ben Sherman/Fred Perry/Merc nice collar button downs? Maybe $30-$40 range in the states?

Check the sale racks/websites, Gilt.com, MyHabit, or Nordstrom Rack for Ben Sherman etc on sale, you can usually find them for about $30-40. Even at full price, those brands are still "cheap", and good luck finding a proper 3-finger collar these days either.

For plain or striped oxford cloth shirts, Land's End and LL Bean are less pricy than Brooks Brothers, but careful with the fit - they are generally pretty roomy, even in trim fit. You can get Made In USA Brooks Brothers oxfords from their site for around $79, and it's worth the investment - they fit well, the collars are unbeatable, they will last a long time, and they weren't made in some sweatshop. Their plaids/checks aren't that great though. 

I've got friends that swear by the J Crew sale rack, and although they make some nice tartans and ginghams, the collars are a bit small for my liking. 

Unless it's something on sale or discount, for $30-40 you're looking at a 'fast-fashion' brand like the Gap or something. They generally don't stand more than a couple of washes before they don't fit properly or start falling apart. I'd rather buy one quality shirt that will fit right and last for a long time than 3 shirts that will fall apart. 

Anyone else in the USA tried Bill's Khaki's shirts? A local shop just got a lot in and they look decent, Made In USA for around $150. I didn't have time to try on and I'm not flush enough to make such a purchase right now anyway. 

http://billskhakis.com/Mens-Shirts.aspx

post #11120 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksinstyle View Post

Check the sale racks/websites, Gilt.com, MyHabit, or Nordstrom Rack for Ben Sherman etc on sale, you can usually find them for about $30-40. Even at full price, those brands are still "cheap", and good luck finding a proper 3-finger collar these days either.

For plain or striped oxford cloth shirts, Land's End and LL Bean are less pricy than Brooks Brothers, but careful with the fit - they are generally pretty roomy, even in trim fit. You can get Made In USA Brooks Brothers oxfords from their site for around $79, and it's worth the investment - they fit well, the collars are unbeatable, they will last a long time, and they weren't made in some sweatshop. Their plaids/checks aren't that great though. 

I've got friends that swear by the J Crew sale rack, and although they make some nice tartans and ginghams, the collars are a bit small for my liking. 

Unless it's something on sale or discount, for $30-40 you're looking at a 'fast-fashion' brand like the Gap or something. They generally don't stand more than a couple of washes before they don't fit properly or start falling apart. I'd rather buy one quality shirt that will fit right and last for a long time than 3 shirts that will fall apart. 

Anyone else in the USA tried Bill's Khaki's shirts? A local shop just got a lot in and they look decent, Made In USA for around $150. I didn't have time to try on and I'm not flush enough to make such a purchase right now anyway. 

http://billskhakis.com/Mens-Shirts.aspx

 

 

 

Ain't done the Bill's Khakis shirts but would be curious to hear about the fit-- I assume the quality is there.  For the $150-$200 mark, Gitman Vintage ocbd's are dynamite.  Good collar, pretty trim fitting(though nowhere near as extreme as Brutus or the like), and very well made.

  I've found the Brooks Bros American made oxfords good also.  Just don't like the lack of a button on back of the collar. Another more affordable proper buttondown is J Press, great roll to the collar, too. 

post #11121 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Try Gant ...or Ralph Lauren.. Paul

Thanks, Roy. smile.gif
post #11122 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

MOM,I know you are from Blackpool...

'From' being the right word here! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

There was also a time when berets (with patches sawn on to them) were worn by both genders (although Pete says he steered away from that look!)...

Anyone who went to my school steered away from berets too, because the school had an assistant caretaker, nicknamed 'Pedro', who wore one. He was a castrato (for medical reasons) and if anyone had been seen wearing a beret they would have got falsetto catcalls!
post #11123 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

Gap have some lovely candy stripes button downs at the moment .

Also noted. Thanks ff.
post #11124 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post

Will leave this line of photographic research to other members for now then biggrin.gif

Being (firstly) reminded that I got into the late mod / early skinhead fashion while I stilled lived in Blackpool, before I moved to London, and (secondly) seeing those pics of schoolgirls with 'the look', reminds me that in the Blackpool area we used to persuade girls to part with their school ties which we would then wear. It was supposed to be an indication that you had got off with a girl from that school. I had a small collection which, I have to admit, was more down to my having asked politely. biggrin.gif

Did this tie thing happen anywhere else?
post #11125 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsvs5 View Post

Topped of with a nice pair of square cut aviators for the summer similar to these Caravans.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

Nice shades!

(You all knew I was going to say that!)
post #11126 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post

How many of you remember the Jackets being referred to as "Monkey Jackets", I hadn't actually heard the Term until the late 90's I think.
Most of the people I spoke to prior to that always called the "Surfers" which I presumed was the Beach Boys Influence.

I certainly called them 'surfer jackets'.
post #11127 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

We called them bomber jackets ...did not refer to them as Monkey jackets am sure of that

I remember my mum called them 'monkey jackets', but she always looked down her nose at them.
post #11128 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

'From' being the right word here! biggrin.gif
Anyone who went to my school steered away from berets too, because the school had an assistant caretaker, nicknamed 'Pedro', who wore one. He was a castrato (for medical reasons) and if anyone had been seen wearing a beret they would have got falsetto catcalls!
In 1969/70 small berets were worn by skins in Manchester, bought from cycling shops.

Less than a quid (£1.00), we would try to get them as small as possible - though still capable of getting them on your napper - by almost boiling them.

It was a short-lived trend, IIRC.

(Bunty: I reckon you have a tsunami of pics, tucked away, that you release into this community, drip-by-drip - nice one.) nod[1].gif
post #11129 of 18908
Ed - If only mate! biggrin.gif
post #11130 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchourbreath View Post

Cheaper alternative to Ben Sherman/Fred Perry/Merc nice collar button downs? Maybe $30-$40 range in the states?

 

There's plenty.Last summer the Lord & Taylor Outlet near me had some really nice Madras checks under the Alex Cannon label ,(their own brand I believe) that could be nicked for $15 bucks on closeout.Really nice collar roll,just missing the button on the back of the collar.There is also a Facconable outlet near me that I can usually find something if i want.It's such a classic American cut ,you should be spoilt for choice.Just depends on the fit you need.Keep an eye out on Sierra Trading Post online.They will have something.They have Gitman Bros. solid pinpoints for around $50.Always better to have a few good quality items than a load of crap IMO.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead