Me neither but its good to have a holy grail to dream about .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:16 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 731
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10952 of 224343/2/13 at 7:59ampost #10953 of 224343/2/13 at 9:15am
Love the talk about jobs and wages.Gives a perspective to us young ones when quoting prices of clothes.If your making 19 pound a week and a pair of shoes was 8.Thats a big chunk.And the memories of the Parents adds alot.This story is about humans tryin to make it thru.To me it's not just about the clothes and music.The few skinhead books around don't have personal stories about the people Around the skins.The stories here are from individuals,not a nameless faceless Mob,which has been the perception of outsiders until now.I'm wondering M.O.M. if the book might include some recent pics of the "originals"today.Lasttye's pic of him and his rude boy pal is one I have in mind.post #10954 of 224343/2/13 at 10:23amQuote:Originally Posted by Bob the Badger
That's exactly how I remember the shop. Always a bit shabby. With shoes he sometimes only had one or two pairs in a particular style and you had to be quick. I reckon he must have sold samples or end of line. He was always cheap and the shoes were all over the shop with no real order.
What I can remember was-Piles of boxes everywhere on the Floor, of Shoes.He would disappear up a Ladder into another pile.It was a nightmare.Three years ago,I was in Lanarka,Cyprus and the Shoe Shop was exactly the same.Mind you,I came away with some nice all Leather,Basket Weave,Tasseled Slip-ons(more Mod than Skinhead).Cheap as well!!!post #10955 of 224343/2/13 at 12:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by buttons
I was in the Alden shop on Maddison Avenue (NYC) and they were 600 dollars (almost 2 years ago). They were on sale in a shop in Wall Street for 550 but they were shut. Still not cheap but a big drop from 600 quid.
Didn't get the long wings (they were lovely but not that much better than me late 60s shell Florsheims) but treated mesell to a pair of beef-roll pennies instead. Comfiest loafers I've ever had.
I paid $749 for my bluchers at aldens last year. All half price at Austins just round the corner. Went in thinking 2 for the price of 1, touch! Only had Claude hopper sizes or dwarf sizes though! Should have known better!!!post #10956 of 224343/2/13 at 5:11pmQuote:Lucky, lucky, lucky smug bassa!!!!
There again, you obviously worked hard to get there - brilliant!!
Jealous - me... not many!post #10957 of 224343/3/13 at 12:47amQuote:
I'm trying to get a handle on comparing some prices then and now. A while ago someone was talking about getting a pair of shoes for $600 US. That's about £400 at current rates. My pension is about £1100 per month, which is about £270 per week...post #10958 of 224343/3/13 at 12:49amQuote:
I can still remember my mum holding her head in her hands when I paid a fiver for a posh tie. Seriously.post #10959 of 224343/3/13 at 12:51amQuote:Originally Posted by yankmod
Love the talk about jobs and wages.Gives a perspective to us young ones when quoting prices of clothes.If your making 19 pound a week and a pair of shoes was 8.Thats a big chunk.And the memories of the Parents adds alot.This story is about humans tryin to make it thru.To me it's not just about the clothes and music.The few skinhead books around don't have personal stories about the people Around the skins.The stories here are from individuals,not a nameless faceless Mob,which has been the perception of outsiders until now.I'm wondering M.O.M. if the book might include some recent pics of the "originals"today.Lasttye's pic of him and his rude boy pal is one I have in mind.
It's a thought - maybe at the end.
You know, I might be mis-remembering my wages. My job was as a labourer for the Parks Department at Bromley Council. It was certainly somewhere between £15 and £20.post #10960 of 224343/3/13 at 1:08amQuote:
Back to the old days M-o-M Seeing what you wanted,and then saving up for it.Oh! the joy......post #10961 of 224343/3/13 at 1:12ampost #10962 of 224343/3/13 at 2:37amQuote:
i paid £375 for a pair of Yuketen Maine boots at Christmas .. mrs went fucking mental when she caught me trying to smuggle em in when the parcel man delivered ... felt like i was 15 again LOL . Old habits and old style issues Rule OK.post #10963 of 224343/3/13 at 2:42amQuote:I've been heavy hinting to the missus that £600 shoes will last me until I die - then I'd be sent to the crem in them, hoping she'll be bite.
She's limited the price to £200, but has insisted that even at that price, they'll be on ebay and I'll go up in smoke wearing Tesco trainers.
I'm optimistic we can reach a 50/50 agreement somewhere along the line... or I'll have to mug a banker.
(Wives turning into mothers - surely not?)post #10964 of 224343/3/13 at 2:49ampost #10965 of 224343/3/13 at 4:01amQuote:
I was an apprentice on £4.00 per week there we mates in our gang a couple of years older than me who were labouring on sites and they were on £16 - £18 per week and i wondered why I was bothering with an apprenticeship. So I would say your memory is still sound
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 14 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 18 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 20 minutes ago
- › Shanghai Tailors: Midrange 25 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 32 minutes ago
- › The Suits of Spectre (2015), the latest Bond film 34 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories